Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Trouble Diagnosing Starting Problems

cosmarchy

Afternoon all,

I have a 06 IS220d and which I am having intermittent trouble starting.

A few weeks ago when I pressed the start button it kept turning over and over and over but not starting. A good strong crank so i'm sure the Battery is ok. The only way to describe it is on the older petrol vehicle when it'd let you turn the car over but the immobiliser prevents the ignition firing, that kind of thing. I got it started by pressing the button to stop it turning over and then trying again - fortunately it worked.

Today however was slightly different. I tried starting and whilst it turned over it was heavy and laboured crank. The dashboard flickered the same way as it does when the Battery is flat (off LED here and there flickers on and off etc). I stopped it and tried again. Exactly the same thing. On the third attempt it finally started but lumped around like a sack of sh*t at low revs ffor a few seconds and then went upto idle, around 900rpm.

I don't know whether this is related but I've also noticed the automatic headlights are behaving differently too. Until recently, when you stop the engine the lights used to go out immediately the door handle was pulled to get out. Now you have to get out and want 5 to 6 seconds before it finally realises and switches them off. I have been able to get out, lock the door and get a few seconds down the road and they haven't switched off.

I did plug in a obd interface in and queried it with the Torque App (for what it's worth) and there is no fault history and no pending faults, nothing.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before or know any other ways of diagnosing the issue?

Thanks