Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Coolant Filler Plug - Anyone Else Bottled Out?

I wanted to top up my coolant today, as my heater does not seem as hot , and tried to remove the coolant filler at the front of the engine. It was clear that it was very tight, and due to my having no spare time to sort out a potential stripped thread, I bottled out. I am concerned about corrosion due to dissimilar metals and dare not exert more force or additional leverage to the Allen key. I topped up the reservoir instead, and just hope it'll work its way through. Anyone else had theirs off ?

Yes it's torqued on. I used a Hex socket on my LS400 with a medium sized torque wrench for the efficient leverage - It's a cleaner undo than using a ratchet.

I suspect an allen key is not enough for the job - in fact I'll re-phrase that = probably impossible.

:whistling:

This is my take on this; if you have drained the cooling system, that's when you start to refill using the hex plug. When the coolant is visible in the plastic coolant reservoir but low, then top it up there not through the hex plug. I have undone the hex plug in the past and although it's on a bit tight, I found it will undo o.k.with an Allen key and an extention, no problem.

• Like 1

This is my take on this; if you have drained the cooling system, that's when you start to refill using the hex plug. When the coolant is visible in the plastic coolant reservoir but low, then top it up there not through the hex plug. I have undone the hex plug in the past and although it's on a bit tight, I found it will undo o.k.with an Allen key and an extention, no problem.

Yes Titch the extension def needed. As always with you 100% on rest.

once you filled it thro the plug and refitted you run the car for 5mins with the cap off,filling up as necessary,then run at 2000revs if i remember rightly for 5 min,top up replace cap,the instructions for filling are on my filler cap,this gets all the air out

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links