Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlight Adjustment For Mainland Europe

I have an RX 450 Premier, from 2013.

I would like a difinitive answer as this seems to get asked about a lot but no-one ever gives a full explanation.

So there are two questions:

1. Do I have to do anything to my headlights to adjust them from driving in the UK, to France?

and, because I now believe the answer to the question above is 'No',

2. How come? What is it that is different from the past? Does the SatNav know I'm in France and adjusts automatically, or is the light no longer pointing to the roadside, or is it something else?

Thanks for any answers,

PB

If you search the forum, you will find several threads on this, some with definitive and clear answers (at least clearer than my explanation below!). In fact one also contains an extract from a letter from Lexus UK HQ in response to a forum member query.

No headlight adjustment is required when travelling to mainland Europe. No adjustment to the headlights themselves, and no need for stickers to redirect the beam either.

This is because the beam is flat across its range, whereas in some cars, the beam kicks up on the passenger side (I'm sure I am not using the correct terminology, but hopefully, you will understand what I mean!!!)

The only thing you might consider doing, is turning the AFS off, although based on the above this is more for your convenience than out of courtesy towards oncoming traffic, as I do not thinl they would be affected.

By the way, I believe the above to apply also to the CT, IS300h/250/200t, GS300h/450h and NX models.

• Like 2

DanD's explanation is correct. I have copied a letter sent to me from Lexus UK in a reply to an earlier posting. I have attached it herewith with a French translation in case you would like to carry it in your car in case you are stopped.

As to the AFS the advice is that it should be switched off as it is slightly asymmetric and the lights swing rather more to the left than the right in UK cars. In practice I have not found this a problem in France and now I leave it on as no one has flashed me for a couple of years now and it does give better light on the road on corners.

I don't know if your 450 has full HID headlights. My RX 350 has HID for the dipped beam but conventional bulbs in the main which were not all that good. I replaced the main beam with an HID conversion last year and the difference is amazing. Ditto for the reversing lights which have been the subject of an extensive series of posts. I fitted high intensity LED bulbs to mine last year and removed the reflecting shield which directs the light upwards and they are also much better now.

Lexus advice re headlights in France - anonymised for distribution (French & English).26-7-2014.doc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you DandD and katabrontes - this is what I was looking for. I did do a search on the forum but my search words didn't bring up the items that you have referred to.

Thank you for the letter and the explanation - difinitive answers after all.

Regards,

PB