Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How To Get The Best Mpg?

andyroo104

Hi guys,another newbie here had my Ct200 for a week now and enjoying every minute of it,great build quality and so lovely to drive.

I own a couple of other Toyota cars,a 1987 mr2 mk1 and a 2001 mr2 mk3.

I was wondering if members could let me know the most economical way to use the car,is it simply to leave it in Eco mode?

Thanks in advance Andy.

I usually keep mine in normal mode. Eco dulls the throttle so much it makes it very sluggish and you end up pushing the accelerator more to get it going. Sport is fun but can be a bit quick if you are not used to it.

The usual method for best economy is pulse and glide. Accelerate to speed then lift off and then apply a bit if throttle to maintain speed. You will find the economy depends on temperature. In the summer I get 55+ in winter lucky to get 50. Thrashing it in the motorway is also not the way to get good economy.

Relax, sit back and enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

Thanks for the prompt replies,I have been browsing the forum for a while now and have had a read of the rules,I have to admit that I had never considered a hybrid but as soon as I had a test drive I was hooked.

As stated I have been a Toyota enthusiast for many years now and this is my first Lexus,simply cannot believe the build quality difference from a normal Toyota to the Lexus,I am hooked,I will certainly relax,sit back and enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

Lexus give the following guidance, most of the tips apply to all vehicles rather than just hybrids but still useful. The one I partly disagree with is using full throttle for short bursts, you should accelerate briskly but not at full throttle.

http://www.lexus.co.uk/hybrid/fuel-economy/#/HybridDrivingTips

• Like 1

Hi Andrew and welcome to the LOC, we are a
friendly bunch and some of us even know how to pull them to bits and
put them back together again, with of course the one bolt and washer
left over.

We recommend you spend a couple of mins
looking over the rules of the LOC, we will be asking questions later

I cant help with your present queries
but I'm sure someone will be along ASAP.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/terms-conditions/

Regards Mike.

• Like 1

Andy just got mine last week so getting the hang of it. However pulse and glide definitely the way to go, I have been experimenting on my first few commutes and find accelerating up past where you want to be speedwise ie 45 ish for a 40...back right off the accelerator pedal and try and keep it in EV or at least the needle in the lower/middle eco - can keep up with the traffic easily. Keep your head up, look ahead and regen whenever you can see you will need to back off. Getting between 55 and 60 mpg that way. Do have a 50 mile round trip to work and back, some b roads, some single carriageway 50's and a 6 mile dual carriageway and stop start either end of the journey.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well there are a few things:

First get the lowest spec car so it weighs the least :) (or just get the one with all the toys and enjoy ;) )

Put the car in Eco mode

Press the Off button to turn off AC and heating

Have the dash display on power display so you know when engine on, get up to speed and back off accelerator till only Battery used

Seat heaters are more efficient than cabin heating

Normal mode will prioritise things like getting the cabin up to temp so a cold morning in normal mode the engine will be on a lot to warm up

A nice day with the window down, AC off, eco mode on and travelling about 30mph on steady flowing roads will get you pretty much your maximum mpg

• Like 1

Well there are a few things:

First get the lowest spec car so it weighs the least :) (or just get the one with all the toys and enjoy ;) )

Put the car in Eco mode

Press the Off button to turn off AC and heating

Have the dash display on power display so you know when engine on, get up to speed and back off accelerator till only battery used

Seat heaters are more efficient than cabin heating

Normal mode will prioritise things like getting the cabin up to temp so a cold morning in normal mode the engine will be on a lot to warm up

A nice day with the window down, AC off, eco mode on and travelling about 30mph on steady flowing roads will get you pretty much your maximum mpg

Also, change the tyres to those which have the minimum rolling resistance, pump up the tyres to the tyre manufacturers recommended maximum pressure and make sure that you have 0/20 oil in the engine. Also, a high ambient temperature helps quite a lot, so consider moving house to sunnier climes. California is said to be nice sometimes....:):)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links