Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Damaged Alloys

Hi all, I dont often post but read your comments so wondered if anyone could offer advice. Ive got 2 damaged alloys and considered the following options.

1 get them repaired and risk them being the wrong colour, and who could I trust to do this.

2 claim on my insurance and get 2 new items from lexus.

3 fit a dfferent type of alloy. Could I buy bbs equivalents that look like the later isf wheels?

Any info appreciated.

Steve.

Hi all, I dont often post but read your comments so wondered if anyone could offer advice. Ive got 2 damaged alloys and considered the following options.

1 get them repaired and risk them being the wrong colour, and who could I trust to do this.

2 claim on my insurance and get 2 new items from lexus.

3 fit a dfferent type of alloy. Could I buy bbs equivalents that look like the later isf wheels?

Any info appreciated.

Steve.

Option 1. The others would be more expensive and totally unnecessary.

The best place to go is the Lexus dealer. They'll give it to someone to refurb the wheels and because they've done so many now, they have a paint code to get a similiar colour to factory.

What some people do is get both on one side done. I did and I cant tell any difference. Another option is get all 4 done and ask for the paint code used to do it - that way, if you damage 1 then you can just get that done on its own in the future

All comes down to cost really. :)

Any of those options are workable.

I'd agree you should have the full set painted if you go that route though. That way you won't have any issues with colour match.

The newer OEM wheels can be bought new, but expect to pay a good chunk of cash if you buy them from Lexus! :(

Sets are occasionally sold on the US forum? May not be mint, and you have the hassle of shipping, import duty etc.

I'd personally have them fixed up and re-finished. My OEM wheels were done by a company called RIMTEC in Meopham. Did a nice job for not too much money. :)

Here's a link: http://www.rimtecrefurbs.co.uk/

Best of luck whatever you decide chap. :)

if the damaged alloys are on the same side, the colour wont make a difference if its marginally off. if its on opposite sides, then get them all done, because that colour is a B**ch to match locally. there is a place in Brum, but its too far for you (called Speedwells), the guy works on top end cars etc, and his prices are between £150-250 for a full set.. and they give you wheels to use till yours are done.

Saw a set on ebay a few weeks back,mite still be around!

If not I think Peters alloys look the dogs if you`re thinking of new aftermarket ones!

Cheers Rob. :)

Sadly you can't buy my wheels anymore. :(

They were discontinued. Might find a used set from time to time on the classifieds, but you'd need to get them back from the States! ;)

Think there are other Wedsport styles in our sizes though? Thing that appealed to me was the fact Wedsport are a subsidiary of Toyota. :)

Keeps it in the family so to speak. :)

Thanks everyone for the info. I contacted Lexus Bolton who put me in touch with their bodyshop and have quoted me £95 plus VAT per wheel. They did a good job of my new bonnet (warranty claim due to rust on leading edge) so I think I`ll give them a go.

Alan, not sure if it`s aluminium or not but the paint started to bubble on the front leading edge. I thought I`d ask if it was covered under warranty and expected them to try and squirm out of repairing it. However they agreed it shouldn`t have bubbled and rather than repaint it, the dealer ordered a new bonnet, gave me a courtesy car and turned it around in 3 days! No charge.

What brings up that question Alan?!

It is made from aluminium isn't it?! Mine is carbon fibre nowadays, but I was sure the OEM bonnet was aluminium???

Just saw Stevo have mentioned rust on his bonnet and thought aluminium shouldn't rust??

Think you'll find it was poor paintwork or something else.

The bonnets are aluminium, so shouldn't rust.

Thin paint is a known issue for Lexus and other Japanese cars. :(

I think you mean "soft" paint, not thin paint. Lexus consistently comes higher than the German brands on paint depth readings. Probably to try and offset the soft paint.

I'd bet the rust was some kind of heavy fallout from train tracks or something.

Hmm £95 + VAT is steep. Lexus Stockport use the same bodyshop and i was quoted £80 + VAT on first instance - pay £100 all inclusive at most.

It is possible to rub down just the clear coat, then re clear it. Not a straightforward job though from what I've heard. :(

Best bet is to speak with a good bodyshop, don't go through Lexus though! ;)

My shop in Strood are very good? :)

I have clear coat peeling away in different places around the car but not sure how to get sections of clear coat repaired with out respraying different panels

Clear coat peeling is only fixed by respray. No 2 ways about it

The good thing with soft paint is its easy to polish. No need for aggressive compounds

• 2 months later...

Because the alloys on the ISF are so exposed (esp in my experience the nearside rear wheel) for kerbing etc. a full powdercoating has never made sense to me as they seem to get a new scrape every six months. I went for mobile spraying service (e.g. chipsaway etc). and had mine sprayed black (goes really well with anthracite grey colour). In between times I touch up with a fine paintbrush and black hammerite on minor scraps.

I found the best place is Prestine Wheels. top class work and have the correct paint code too! They also do an exchange wheel plan

http://www.pristinealloywheels.co.uk/

How do they have the paint code when it doesnt exist? The wheels are sprayed with 2 different colours to get the effect you do.

On a side note - anyone fancy getting all their rims sprayed in BMW Ferric grey? That way if you kerb the wheel you only have to do 1 at a time!

Why not try wider tyres.....

I`m running 245 front & 275 rear with no rubbing at all...

Did you have any issues with insurance company on that? Any pics on how they look with the stock wheels?