Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

"are We Nearly There Yet?"

Simpsoid

Kids are well known for that phrase of course, but I can totally relate to them all at the moment: I ordered my first Lexus on Monday - an (ex-demo - can't afford/justify brand new this time, at least) IS300h Executive and am picking it up tomorrow morning.

Can't wait. Only one more sleep to go . . .

:phone:

• Like 1

Hi Paul and welcome to the LOC, we are a
friendly bunch and some of us even know how to pull them to bits and
put them back together again, with of course the one bolt and washer
left over.

We recommend you spend a couple of mins
looking over the rules of the LOC, we will be asking questions later.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/terms-conditions/

Restless sleep tonight dreaming of tomorrow.

Regards Mike.

Where did that infernal phrase come from. When we went anywhere as kids in a car (rarely) bus or train especially going on a main line train to the seaside for holidays we never stopped looking out of the windows, my kids 10 mins and they were both asleep. I will never understand letting all those new things to the eyes just passing them by. Mike.

Brilliant Mike! I thought it was just my kids! They DO NOT look out of the window! Our nearest supermarket is 1 mile away and my 9 year-old still does not have a clue how to get there! They do not play like I used to as a child. They will build a Lego Star Wars ship and say "Finished!"

"Are you going to play with it?" ........................ no they just look at it! Everything that interests them is screen based. It drives me mad!

Am I just too old? Am I turning into my dad? Do I worry too much? The world is changing at a remarkable pace and I am afraid I am getting left behind. Some of the techy conversations on the forum is like trying to read another language.

I love my Lexus but watching an old Top Gear episode the other evening - where they compared a Dacia Sandero / Fiesta and VW Up! - I found myself attracted to the Dacia as it had NO extras to go wrong or worry about!

Sorry if I have gone off-topic.

Guess what? I have a Lexus! YAY!

Really nice handover from Jan at Bristol Lexus, once Richard had done the necessary to remove me of the burden of a sizeable chunk of money, of course!

And as for the car . . . Oh. My. God. It's an absolute delight.

I managed to creep through 57mpg by the time I'd got back to my home town (total journey ~35 miles), with the help of the "Pulse and Glide" technique. It's very logical and surprisingly easy to get to that level of economy.

I am a happy boy :phone:

• Like 1

Please, no offence to you personally (Simpsoid) but mpg must be a minor issue when you are spending so much on a nearly new car.

I am slowly coming to the conclusion that "banger" economics can work. The downside is, you get a rough car. But if you take an old LS400 the ride / performance and handling match many far more expensive cars. Picking the right "banger" (I use that term in the loosest possible sense) can save you a shed load of money. I do npot wish to denegrate memebers who have spent a lot of money on new and nearly new cars but it begs the question ..... is it worth it? I applaud your decision NOT to buy new. I have only bought one new car and regretted it - on depreciation only.

I appreciate it depends on you financial circumstances but what do others think? Are there "wealthy" Lexus owners who run older cars out there? The answer is yes!

Hi David

Yes, that's a very fair point. I am replacing a 1999 Toyota Avensis which I bought in February 2003 and have run through more than 100,000 miles in the last twelve and a half years+. Sadly, for the Avensis, it was starting to suffer from a few too many age-related aches, pains, whines and grumbles and it was time to let it go. (insert melancholic music here).

I don't know how long I'll hold the IS but I'm still not committed to replacing a car every 2-3 years just for the heck of it, or to impress the neighbours! The most likely reason for me changing early will be when a PHEV or even full electric, when range anxiety is a distant memory for everyone, or Hydrogen perhaps(?) car that suits my needs, that I like the look of (sorry, Prius, that isn't you) and that I can afford becomes a real option for me.

However, am I going to enjoy showing the IS off to everyone who thought the Avensis was somehow surgically attached to my body? You betcha!

​​

I am pleased you keep cars for an extended period - that way you get the best value - I did the same with my new car ... only just sold it ... as I acquired my LS 400! Really not knocking people who spend on a new car but I cringe at the depreciation! You have more than got your money back from the Toyota!

But the cars need to be good to keep them long term without hassle and disappointmet - Lexus (in my limited experience) fullfil that requirement. I suspect you may keep your Lexus longer than you think!

Enjoy the superb engineering with these cars! Remember, it could be worse, you could have bought a BMW!

Enjoy!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links