Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Boot Won't Open Sometimes.

One annoying thing, sometimes the power boot refuses to work from pressing the button on the dash. I have been dropped off at the station and on both occasions the boot would not open and although the car was turned off it still did not want to open, so I had to clamber in the back seat to get to my case. Is there a delay when it will not work after the engine is switched off? Or am I doing something wrong?

Maybe the power to the switch stops shortly after the engine is switched off, I'll give it a try. Couldn't you use the key to open it, or press the release button on the boot itself

Edit

Tried it with the power off and it works fine. Might sound stupid but you are holding the button in for a second or two?

Maybe the power to the switch stops shortly after the engine is switched off, I'll give it a try. Couldn't you use the key to open it, or press the release button on the boot itself

Edit

Tried it with the power off and it works fine. Might sound stupid but you are holding the button in for a second or two?

Yeah, I tried both, but that one day it just refused to open. So I went through the boot via the back seats. The next time it happened I just did that straight away to save time. Not ideal obviously. I will try different options to see if I can work out what I am doing wrong.

The button has to be held down for 2 seconds similiar to the fob. I cant think of what else it could be really

Yes, I do the same as with the key. There is a beep sound, but not the normal one, so it must be registering.

The button has to be held down for 2 seconds similiar to the fob. I cant think of what else it could be really

Yes, I do the same as with the key. There is a beep sound, but not the normal one, so it must be registering.

Was the car locked when you tried to open the boot? I think it's a bit daft but you can't open the boot unless the doors are unlocked.

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

Was the car locked when you tried to open the boot? I think it's a bit daft but you can't open the boot unless the doors are unlocked.

Yes, I tried to unlock it from the button on the boot, but no joy there either.

Just to re-state the obvious, were the doors unlocked?

I know that when my wife drops me off at the station, she has to unlock the doors via the button on the armrest before being able to 1) open the boot remotely via the button or 2) for me to open the boot manually from the outside. Switching the engine/car off is not sufficient, as this does not unlock the doors...

Just to re-state the obvious, were the doors unlocked?

I know that when my wife drops me off at the station, she has to unlock the doors via the button on the armrest before being able to 1) open the boot remotely via the button or 2) for me to open the boot manually from the outside. Switching the engine/car off is not sufficient, as this does not unlock the doors...

Thanks Dan, you hit the nail on the head. Silly me, I did not realise that when you open the passenger door, the rest of the car is still locked. You are correct in saying you must press the unlock button on the either door before you press the boot release button. Obvious now, but I just did not suss that bit out. Thanks for putting me straight. And thanks for the other replies saying much the same, the car must be unlocked before it will work, but opening the passenger door does not do that. Dohhhhh. ;(

Does your wife put the car in park when she drops you off? It is an optional setting but I have the car set to unlock when the transmission is moved from D to P. If you had this setting enabled then you wouldn't have to remember to press the unlock button. It's probably a bit safer too (I'm assuming she just holds the car on the footbrake while you jump out and grab the tools of trade from the boot).

Anyway, glad it's sorted and wasn't a vehicle fault.