Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Winter Tyres In The Uk.

Just wondering if anybody on here in the UK uses winter tyres.

I'm thinking about putting them on the IS with it been rear wheel drive and living in quite a hilly rural area (only a couple of miles away from J22 of the M62, highest motorway in the England according the sign). Generally I don't think they are needed but there a few places near by that do "Tyre hotels", and only charge £7.50 / tyre to swap over and store for free, so really the additional cost is only £60/year for 2 swap overs.

Will winter tyres change the feel of the car. I put all season tyres on my Mazda 3 and in the cold and wet the handling, wheelspin and braking were shocking to the point of been dangerous. Been watching some auto express test and seemed to suggest winter tyres should be better than summer tryes all round in cold weather.

any thoughts would be appreciated?

My main reason for thinking about winter tryes is our road is really steep, the road to the motorway can be a bit of a nightmare, also my job requires me to catch early morning flights (after missing a few flights previously due to snow on the road, thats what made me switch to all seasons on the last car). Just don't want to ruing the feel of the car for the 2 days a year where winter tyres will be of benefit!

I have bought winters they are on another set of original wheels, ready to swop when the time comes. I have used winters on front wheel drive cars

absolutely brilliant. Hope they are some thing like on the Lexus. Being an auto as well first one i owned. As a rule they are quieter, as the tread

pattern dictates. No good over 7 degrees is the downside, good in very wet and minus degree as tread stays soft.

• Like 1

Depends where you live. But in Yorkshire it would be a good call.

In the far south where I am, I doubt I'd get the full use of the tyre life before they needed changing due to rubber perishing.

I've driven RWD cars many years ago before the long spell with FWD. But those were driven in winter without the modern aides that are available now.

So, for my circumstances, now I'm further south. It is just a case of relearning to drive a RWD in winter.

David

Yes i can appreciate that we get colder weather. Upto now its just mild and wet but when it does drop the winters are ready for swopping over.

Last year they were already on at this time, kept them on till end of march saves the summers.

I live in Yorkshire - near Batley.

Never put winter tyres on any of my cars and never had a problem either. Best bet is to use main roads in the winter. Ive put all seasons on my RX but not had anything vaguely close to snow/ice yet so cant comment.

I believe I've seen your car with the DR54 EKH number plate around Yorkshire and have often wondered if you're a medical doctor? Otherwise, that's a very good looking plate!

I believe I've seen your car with the DR54 EKH number plate around Yorkshire and have often wondered if you're a medical doctor? Otherwise, that's a very good looking plate!

yes, GP, hence the plate.

I saw a White IS300h F-Sport on Friday evening when in my wife's IS300h just outside Staincliffe School by the church- wasn't you was it?!

I've used winter tyres the last 3 winters on both our cars. At current temperatures (double digits) the handling is definitely worse. The car 'moves' around more, and you really feel it at motorway speeds.

In proper snow though they are unbeatable, I was getting up hills 4x4 couldn't manage :)

BUT we only really get 1-2 days of proper snow in the Midlands every year, so not sure I'll bother this year. I do have a set of spare wheels that fit the IS300H in the garage, but will need to get x4 winters put on them which I'm not sure I can be bothered with, especially with how mild this winter is looking.

11013568884_236e79d89f_c.jpg

• Like 1

I have used winter tyres for last three years. Definitely worth it here near Pontefract in West Yorkshire. As ganzoom says it unbelievable what traction they provide, I've passed other vehicles who have stopped on some of the hills here.

It is not cold enough for them yet, as someone else has said, it must be below 7C to get best results, when time comes they'll be on through to end of march

I purchased a spare set o wheels for our Toyota Auris with the aim of fitting winter tyres and got caught out with the TPMS pressure monitoring system that is mandatory since 2014. I need to fit sensor valves in each wheel at a cost of £100 each from E Tyres which includes recoding to the cars ECU and then need to recode again in the spring when i change wheels again. Suspect the same applies to my IS300h if winter tyres are fitted, i understand some manufactures including BMW and Mazda use the ABS system for TPMS which avoids this problem.

I purchased a spare set o wheels for our Toyota Auris with the aim of fitting winter tyres and got caught out with the TPMS pressure monitoring system that is mandatory since 2014. I need to fit sensor valves in each wheel at a cost of £100 each from E Tyres which includes recoding to the cars ECU and then need to recode again in the spring when i change wheels again. Suspect the same applies to my IS300h if winter tyres are fitted, i understand some manufactures including BMW and Mazda use the ABS system for TPMS which avoids this problem.

Is TPMS mandatory on all new cars from 2014 then?

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

Pasted below is the information that I found.

Some facts on EU TPMS legislation:

As of 1st November 2012, all new-type vehicles will be required by EU law to have a pressure based tyre pressure monitoring system installed. This applies to the road wheels, not the spare

By November 2014, all new passenger vehicles will have to have TPMS installed by the manufacturer

It also seems that it is an MOT failure if the TPMS warning light is on or not functioning and I guess that would also invalidate your insurance if you fit wheels/tyres without the correct sensing valves. I think some form of DIY coding is required as going to the Lexus dealer twice year just for this would be painful, I have seen some internet sites that claim they can clone your existing sensors to solve this problem, not sure how is this is done i.e. do you need to remove the tyre to get the information?

Lived in southern Germany for 9 years and would not have survived the winters without winter tyres. People there tend to buy a set of steel wheels so you don't have to worry about kerbing and salt corrosion. As stated by others, they are a waste above 7 degrees. The compound is very soft and will wear out quickly in "warmer" temperature. Furthermore, the added resistance that the thread provide decreases MPG. Can't be them in the snow though.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

So how are you guys re-setting the TPMS system? I can see the following options:

• Keep the same wheels and just swap tyres each season.
  • Use alternate wheels and purchase new TPMS valves that are coded by the the fitting company to your car, this means re-coding in the spring when you swap back to summer tyres possibly by a Lexus dealer (ouch).
  • Use alternate wheels and purchase TPMS vlaves that are clones of your existing ones, on-line companies such as the TPMS Warehouse claim this can be done, do you need to remove your existing tyres to find the code for cloning?
  • Buy some kind of gadget, have seen this on amazon www.amazon.co.uk/ATEQ-QuickSet-TPMS-Reset-Tool/dp/B008SCWXN4
  • Stick a piece of tape over the warning light!!!

Just ordered mine, be fit either this saturday or next. I'm just paying the £7.50 swapping fee. so only £60/year to change them over. Also ordered for the wife's car but only changing the front.

Have any of you seen the new Michelin Cross Climate? They're better than "normal" all seasons to use all year round and are actually pretty good in the snow. Sadly not many sizes are covered for bigger Lexus wheels yet but I think they are bringing out more sizes early next year.

Seen them at Costco, but having once had all season tyres once, I swore I never would again. Looked through all the reviews before buying and the ones I got were supposed to be the best all round. Absolutley shocking to the point of been dangerous.

Have any of you seen the new Michelin Cross Climate? They're better than "normal" all seasons to use all year round and are actually pretty good in the snow. Sadly not many sizes are covered for bigger Lexus wheels yet but I think they are bringing out more sizes early next year.

Yeah they are the bees knees - awesome tyres. Id get them for every car I own if they were made in the right sizes.

They properly work as well!

All season's on my RX have been great so far. Very heavy rain has had no impact compared to normal tyres, very good in the dry as well. Will find out in the snow I guess but Ive never had winter tyres as I dont need/use them.

• Like 1

So how are you guys re-setting the TPMS system? I can see the following options:

• Keep the same wheels and just swap tyres each season.
  • Use alternate wheels and purchase new TPMS valves that are coded by the the fitting company to your car, this means re-coding in the spring when you swap back to summer tyres possibly by a Lexus dealer (ouch).
  • Use alternate wheels and purchase TPMS vlaves that are clones of your existing ones, on-line companies such as the TPMS Warehouse claim this can be done, do you need to remove your existing tyres to find the code for cloning?
  • Buy some kind of gadget, have seen this on Amazon www.amazon.co.uk/ATEQ-QuickSet-TPMS-Reset-Tool/dp/B008SCWXN4
  • Stick a piece of tape over the warning light!!!

I'm sure I read somewhere that the system can be paired with two sets of sensors.

If not I'm sure there are third party apps around that can help with this.

I didn't use winters last year,never have. Had worries about the Lexus due to big tyres and rear drive, but Snow mode button is awesome didn't get stuck once even through some dicey conditions between Glasgow and Carlisle. Car felt very stable underway, only slight fishtailing, controlled well by stability control.

The design of the front end however..... Hope it doesn't snow again when I'm driving as the front is like a snow catcher, you can't see as the headlamp area just fills up with snow and ice after a few miles!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links