Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Did You Chop In The Isf For And Why?

Thought this may be an interesting thread. Just wondered what people moved to after their isf and why.

I'll start. I bought the isf as single car with the performance and excitement it offered. My wife then learned to drive and we no longer needed 2 practical cars. As such I started looking for sports cars. 911 is too common and doesn't fill me with and stirring feelings, db9 is too big and slow and same goes for maser gt and jaguar xkr. I stumbled upon the lotus evora when doing research. Quickly realised the my2012 onwards sports racer was the only option for me. Took one for a test drive and than was that! It is a completely different driving experience to the isf as you would expect and is a natural progression for me. It also offers the ability to go on weekends away with the family so is a great package.

Stu

• Like 1

Changed mine for an Alfa Giulietta QV. Love Alfa's, had 5 so far and couldn't resist a great deal offered. £22k brand new, fully loaded, 5 years warranty, 5 years servicing, and not many around.

• Like 2

I can't honestly answer that one, I can't EVER see me selling mine, had an infatuation with them since there release date, I'm quite lucky really, the wife has a RAV4, n I've I picked up my Yaris SR at the weekend for my daily commute to work, all Japs here, can't see me buying anything else than japs, although I'm rather partial to an Aston,......but then there's the wife 😳....😂

• Like 1

After my IS-F was written off and after a few months in a Mini Cooper S as a stop gap, which was both a huge disappointment and an expensive experience by the way.

I opted for a more sensible option(that's how I sold it to myself at the time) a 2010 BMW 135i Coupe. It wasn't a great start and I really struggled to enjoy it. Whilst it was quick and well equipped (for a 1 series) I never really felt anything for it. 2 years on now and whilst I've been looking for a replacement I've actually realised what a great package it is. its 305bhp turbo 3.0L six is both characterful and responsive, its a very balanced car and I always enjoy driving it. Ride quality is a tad compromised with skinny 18s and run flats but its liveable. tyres and servicing are moderate, not cheap but given the performamce available very good, my mate spends thousands more than I do keeping his Cayman S on the road and does half the miles I do. It also still works as a family car, we only have a 7 year old at home now, and the seat fold down, unlike the lexus so actually it can be more practical.

The biggest things I miss from the IS-F in truth is 1, the V8 howl 2,absolutely fantastic auto box 3, proper car people know what it is and want to chat to you about it, when you're out and about.

So where do I go from here....no idea, I've been looking at the M4, but decided I didn't want to spend that much, my mates offered me a brand new (but old spec so only 355bhp!!) GLA45 AMG with a stupid discount which really caught my eye....but to be honest not much will offer what this little 135i does for so little cash. Its only worth 11-12K at trade in which seems a little crap given how good a car its really turned out to be.

I still look at IS-Fs and get tempted......

• Like 2

RC-F. Its like the IS-F with everything turned up to 11. It is a little tight in the back, but OK for short journeys, and I've got a great new system called a Seasucker Mini-Bomber (the name alone made it worthwhile) to fit bikes on the roof.

I've had more people ask me about it in 5 weeks than I had in 5 years in the IS-F

• Like 1

As I said i don't want to spend that kind of money. ie 50K. plus I would like a little more practicality and despite its exterior size the RCF looks no better in the back that the 1, whilst it works at the moment my little'un is growing at a rapid rate, thats one other reason I backed off the M4.

My ISF was superb & great for Continental holidays but for 95% of the time it just purred along in the congested UK confined to the odd spurt past a tractor or caravan queue in the countryside.

Changed to the 300h Sport which is swift in Sport Mode whilst halving running costs.

I miss the superb V8 burble, its performance & the brembo Brakes but am content as An Eco Warrior .

Tel

I think I'll hold on to my IS-F for at least another year, maybe two. I don't want to have 3 cars, including my wife's, therefore my car must be practical (two kids), fast (v8 - great sound!) and ideally, not too common! I got board of buying cars based on running costs (all within reason of course!) and wanted something fast but which is also reliable. I suspect that I'll go for the GS-F next which will be rare, or another car I may seriously consider is the Maserati Ghibli (404bhp version) because it's interior is quite lovely and it looks good. However, Italians are not best known for reliability!

• 1 month later...

Changed mine for an Alfa Giulietta QV. Love Alfa's, had 5 so far and couldn't resist a great deal offered. £22k brand new, fully loaded, 5 years warranty, 5 years servicing, and not many around.

I saw you this morning on the Portwood roundabout Steve. I did give a quick 'pip' of the horn as I passed you but not sure if you saw me. The Alfa is a lovely colour btw.

My 135i Coupe is now going.....replacement is a 2015 A45 AMG, with loads of kit. Looked around for an IS-F but wanted something a bit newer and the RCF, was both out of budget and very tight in the rear. I guess the GS-F will be work a look in 3 years but for now, this A45 will do nicely.

Looking to swap mine in the next few weeks for a 4wd hatchback. Love the IS-F however I tend to keep my cars for three years and the time has come plus another winter season of rear-wheel drive down untreated country lanes is not something to look forward to

Looked at Audi S3, Mercedes A45 and Golf R and I think the Golf will win as it has an excellent write up from almost all car reviews VW are also dead keen for business at the moment so why not take advantage of the current poor condition ?

Although technically a very good car, the Golf R just seems to lack character and soul. There were / are some blinding lease deals about if that's up your street. I was a signature away from a 2 year deal for sub £7000 all in for a DSG Golf R. A new mortgage got in the way of that one!

• Like 1

Totally agree with David, the Golf is pretty characterless, and interior is very dull. I just couldn't get excited about it. My local VW dealer has an 5 door auto R in the spec I'd have on a 15 plate. its advertised at 2K less than I'm paying for a highly specified A45 of the same age/miles. For me that was a no brainer.

The R is very capable though. On one video review I watched it was quicker on a lap than the RS3 never mind an S3. Having said that I've seen reviews that see a Leon Cupra out gun the Golf R.

At the end of the day all these new extremely hot hatches are great its just a matter of what you want.

I came very close to leasing the MK7 R with one of those stupidly cheap lease deals but bailed out.

They are stupidly quick for what they are but they leave me feeling somewhat cold. Soundtrack isn't great either but then again it is a 4 pot. The pops and bangs on the A45 are pretty amusing though.

Just try and drive sensibly whenever she's in the car with you ;)

The long term residuals of the R are slightly concerning given the sheer amount of them out on lease. The first batch will be heading back soon so. It will be interesting to see how that affects the values.

A friend had the previous gen Golf R and in his opinion it was not much better than his other front wheel drive Golf GT in winter.

If its winter grip you are after there is no substitute for permanent 4 wheel drive. Nothing seemed to phase my Audi S4.

RX450h, bought a dog

The wife wants one of these. What up with yours dude?

We love the 450h, can't imagine having any other car after having it for a while now

Thought you meant you bought a dog of a car not an actual dog! Lol. Makes sense now.

• Like 1