Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Ls430 Door Speaker Removal And Repair Procedure

The passenger door speaker was blowing in my facelift 430 so I decided to fix it.

Here is the procedure for removal of door card.

1) remove 3 screws at the bottom of the door card on the rubber seal

2) remove one screw under the door handle and one in the air vent hole

3) remove the small panel behind the opening puller (the one you pull to open the door from inside) behind the panel is another screw which you remove.

4) remove the electric window switches - prise from the side which is towards the back of the car and it literally just lifts out - disconnect and set aside - then remove the screw behind it.

5) Thats all the screws removed - next with your hand gently pull at the door card to release 3 poppers.

6) Lift door card upwards and its off

7) Next remove the 2 electrical connections for the seat memory. - I then tilted the card vertically and supported it on my knee whilst I continued to remove the speaker.- no further disconnecting required.

The speaker is held by 3 screws and one connection - undo these and its comes straight out.

the problem on the speaker is very clear - the cone surround has become detached and will need replacing ( replacements on their way)

There is a video on You tube which shows how to repair the speaker surround

DSC_0168_zps6udk66bl.jpg

hope this is useful to someone - cost of 2 speaker surrounds is about £12.

• Like 1

Three of mine were in the same state.

ML speakers are not cheap but they were certainly cheaply made. Pressed frames; small magnets, there is nothing hi-fi about them.

Sizes deliberately chosen so that better and far cheaper replacements are awkward to fit. North American cynicism at work once more.

I bet the pre-ML speakers in LS 400s don't fall apart?

• 2 years later...

19 minutes ago, PJD said:

I'm about to do this, - I fixed my subwoofer by using rubber-glue... - reckon the same will work with the door speakers...?

Yes it will, or simply use silicone as others have done and you won't even have to take the speakers out, just the door card which is easy.

• Like 1

A common  experience in hi-fi. Speaker cone outer edges are suspended with-usually - rubber foam, which decays over time (and all that vibration?).

The support is really just to hold the cone centrally and stop it vibrating erratically.

As others say here, you can re-do the surrounds.Some speakers use 'doped' fabric surrounds (my various old Leak speakers with this (see pic) are over 40 years old - the magnets drop, but that's another topic!) or even leather. I'd expect car speakers to use something that resists humidity and such, as a car is a bit less mellow than a living room! But, as Stuart says, sticking ML on a speaker doesn't stop it being cheaply made! Neil E will be on, telling us about his SC430/Soarer sound systems?

IMG_3485.JPG

Took the card off.... the speaker cone rubber was COMPLETELY detached all the way around... - i've glued it for what it was worth... - we'll see if it makes any difference, - if not, I might consider upgrading the speakers...

There is a massive amount of information on this subject on the USA owners site.

Beware the impedance of the ML speakers is an unusual value and especially with the sub woofer the wrong impedance may blow the amplifier.

There is an eBay kit of a new foam ring and the correct glue for small bucks.

Also Youtube videos on how do the repair and how to cut out with Dremel a hole to access  the sub to without removing the rear seat and parcel tray.

Thanks everyone.  The fix has worked... sounds much better, although I did it with some rubber glue and the brush which comes with it... think I could've done a much better job with silicone and a sausage gun... - so if the problem comes back I'll do that, - if it comes back again, I'll consider buying new foam rings :)

• 8 months later...

My drivers door speaker is now crackling like a good-un so I suspect this is in my near future.
Anyone have a link for a refoam kit that worked for them?
I will try with the bath sealant first if the existing foam isn't too badly damaged.
Thanks for the "how to" Mark 😁

• 4 months later...

How to was very helpful, thanks Mark. In the end I glued in a new rubber ring rather than fix the existing one. Sounds great but on cranking it up, I noticed my Sub was doing nothing. The sub is torn, but is not even trying to move. Has the amp died or do I just need a new speaker?

• 1 year later...

Well, the rubber glue that I used has worn off so I'm going to buy some speaker surrounds, - can anyone recommend a place that sells these kits, - I can only see USA sources via eBay?

Many thanks

6 hours ago, PJD said:

Well, the rubber glue that I used has worn off so I'm going to buy some speaker surrounds, - can anyone recommend a place that sells these kits, - I can only see USA sources via ebay?

Many thanks

I think a lot of owners do buy them from the US.  When I looked that's all I could find.  Thankfully I don't have the ML system now.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Many thanks for this guide. I have just done mine. The surround has not blown in this instance. The actual speaker had a lump missing. 

Looking forward to better sound from now on. 

Thanks again

Jon

IMG_20230824_183456.jpg

• Like 2