Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sunroof Front Drains Blocked :( Rx300 2005

I went to toyota few months ago to unblock the drains as the back of the car was getting wet. They unblocked the rear drains, and everything was fine (I thought). A month or so later the front drain on the driver side got blocked. Went back to Toyota, but I was told after whole day they kept my car (only worked on it 30 minutes though) that they don't really know whats the route for the front drain - they tried compressed air, some flex cable, but that didn't work. I was then told that because they don't know how to fix it, they wont charge me for the diagnostics, but if I want to get this repaired, it would cost me quite a bit, as it would take them approx 4 hours. Not sure how they estimated that as they said they don't know where the drain goes, but I just can't afford that.

I took out the plastic coverings under the door, hoping the drain hole will be there somewhere, but I can't see anything ...

Does anyone have an idea (or picture/diagram if possible) where the front drain on drivers side goes?

The only other option I thought about is that if I can't locate the blockage and remove it, I will need to block that drain hole with silicone of something similar to stop water getting into the footwell (and would need to remember not to park at an angle pointing the drivers corner as this could overflow into the cabin)...

• Like 1

Apparently the thick nylon strimmer cord is good for the unblocking job, not the standard stuff but heavy duty type used on the petrol models.

Below is the diagram for the RX moonroof it appears there is only 1 drain for the front and back both of which are on the passenger side.

post-12144-0-77155800-1447797884_thumb.p

• Like 1

It goes down the A pillar and down in front of the door. It seems a weird design in that the pipe doesn't extend to the outside, it stops short and water just falls into the sill and from there it drains out. If the outlet gets blocked then the water builds up and out inside the vehicle.

I'd pour some water down the other side so you can see where the water exits and then unblock the other side - it should be a small slit where the sill and floor combine.

Not sure the picture above is for the correct generation of RX, I thought it had four drain outlets, not two.

• Like 2

Deffo drains are on both sides. Thanks for the tip, I'll try to see where it drainst on passenger side. I've seen the water coming from underneath the car, I'd never figure out to check the door sill! If anyone has a picture or knows the exact location of this slit it would be ideal. It is pitch black nowadays when I'm back from work... Why this couldn't block in the summer. ??

• Like 2

I think one of the other members used nylon strimmer cable to "rod" the drain tubes clear but you have to be careful & gentle.

If dry this weekend, I might take a peak at mine with a jug or two of water.

I also want to see how to lube the sunroof tilt mechanism as that doesn't sound happy at all at the moment!

On the US ClubLexus site there are many posts and excellent photos on this problem of front drain holes failing on the second generation RX.

One problem is that the front drain tubes are not continuous all the way down to the outside of the vehicle. There is a break inside [adjacent to where your toes are when sitting in the front seat] and this joint comes apart, as if the upper tube has shrunk.

A result is sodden carpets in the foot well.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Yes, trim needs to be removed to expose the tube but perhaps not a daunting task. Have a look at the excellent photos and descriptions which may take as long as doing the actual fix.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Removed the trim on the bottom side around the carpet, I can see lots of water but no drain hose anywhere... After tonight the water now coming out on the top of a pillar, spilling into the car.... Where is that b...y drain pipe????

Took off the plastic door trim, lifted front wheel arch, removed inside trim on the drivers side and the pipe is nowhere to be seen. Don't want to remove a pillar as they are airbags there... Really tempted to plug the thing with outdoor silicone once and for good, but I wonder if the water might be still coming from other places and because the drain on the bottom of the car (wherever it is) is blocked it won't fix the problem... Can't really afford £300 for Toyota work....

Thanks Graham. Checked the YT, forums and worrying thing is that I haven't found any post saying exactly how to fix it. Most people says "yeah, finally got it fixed" and then week later they're back to square one...

• 1 month later...

Steve, yes, I did solve the problem.... Sold the car!

I've been fighting with this for over 6 months. Initially the back of the car was wet, toyota cleared the rear sunroof drains. helped for a while, but then water reappeared again. I did took out the boot cover struts and installed rubber seals, and sealed everything with silicone (black one, for cars, good for extreme temperatures. Result - dry car again. Then I started to have problems with water in the front - initially in the footwell, but then one day it was coming down the a-pillar - from the top, to the bottom, water coming out from the tweeter speakers... Not even leaking - just running water! Never found where that leak is and how to fix it. Toyota doesn't have a clue. Tried other 2 garages... nothing. SPent two days under the car .. couldn't find it myself.

Just before xmas, opened up the boot, C-pillars are soaking wet again, all upholstery wet took out the boot covers, completely flooded. And the rear light stopped working. I was close from taking a hammer and destroy that b...y thing, but managed to resist and.... traded it for a different (smaller) suv...

So... wasn't a happy chappy overall. Can't believe that 10year old car wasn't even watertight. Problems from 1940's should be completely the thing of the past these days, especially in a premium car brand...

Steve, yes, I did solve the problem.... Sold the car!

I've been fighting with this for over 6 months. Initially the back of the car was wet, toyota cleared the rear sunroof drains. helped for a while, but then water reappeared again. I did took out the boot cover struts and installed rubber seals, and sealed everything with silicone (black one, for cars, good for extreme temperatures. Result - dry car again. Then I started to have problems with water in the front - initially in the footwell, but then one day it was coming down the a-pillar - from the top, to the bottom, water coming out from the tweeter speakers... Not even leaking - just running water! Never found where that leak is and how to fix it. Toyota doesn't have a clue. Tried other 2 garages... nothing. SPent two days under the car .. couldn't find it myself.

Just before xmas, opened up the boot, C-pillars are soaking wet again, all upholstery wet took out the boot covers, completely flooded. And the rear light stopped working. I was close from taking a hammer and destroy that b...y thing, but managed to resist and.... traded it for a different (smaller) suv...

So... wasn't a happy chappy overall. Can't believe that 10year old car wasn't even watertight. Problems from 1940's should be completely the thing of the past these days, especially in a premium car brand...

Raf, my blood boils just reading about your troubles with this car. If it had happened to me I would be incoherent with rage.

What a pity Lexus has lost the reputation it had and deserved in the 1990s.

• 4 years later...

Same problem with my 05 rx330. I managed to get drivers side unclogged with a choke cable but passenger side still leaks at footwell. I ran the cable several times but still leaks. The sad thing reading other comments and watching videos, there seems no way to get to the tube at this end

• Sad 1

Hi Jerry, I have a 2004 model. The main problem is the drain hole exit where the cill meets the front wing. It gets clogged with mud and other crud. Try and prod about with something like a plastic tie whilst pouring water down the sun roof drain hole. This will have the effect of flushing the loosened mud and cleaning the blockage.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards 

DaveB

• Like 1

Sorry to read of this experience - it is something we could all have to deal with as our cars age.  Although there are are other areas where water may enter,  it does seem to me that one of the most frequent points of entry is through blocked sunshine drains.  It would be sensible to flush these through regularly as planned maintenance before they clog up.  Incidentally, sun roofs drains are similar to those on other makes of car and you will find people struggling in a similar way on their forums too.  On a BMW forum they additionally detail problems with membranes behind door cards coming away around ten years or so from new and allowing carpets and insulation beneath in footwells to become soaked.  (Either new sealing is required or the original heated up and refixed - happened with two of my e39's) .  So water ingress does affect some other makes too, no consolation I know.    

• Like 1

On 11/17/2015 at 10:05 PM, steve2006 said:

Apparently the thick nylon strimmer cord is good for the unblocking job, not the standard stuff but heavy duty type used on the petrol models.

Below is the diagram for the RX moonroof it appears there is only 1 drain for the front and back both of which are on the passenger side.

post-12144-0-77155800-1447797884_thumb.p

Does anyone know for an RX300/350, where the exit tubes (63249F and 63669B) would end up?

It sounds like a good idea to locate those and clean them out ...

On 10/15/2020 at 7:38 PM, steve2006 said:

the front down inside the A pillar through the engine bay to the floor.

It doesn't pass through the bulkhead into the engine bay - it goes from the cabin into the sill and then should just come out the drain holes. If the holes are blocked, the sill fills up and overflows into the cabin..

This shows it

• Like 1