Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Wife Wrote Off The Garage Door With The Is

Yesterday evening, about 4pm, my wife decides to put the car in front of my side of the garage (my RX was still inside). We have a double garage with 2 doors, mine is the right, hers is the left.

So, she came in the car and parked it in front of my garage as per usual and went inside. This is because the doctor car parks in front of her side of the garage when we come on a break. Anyway, she realised we hadn't come yet so looked at the car and acknowledged itd probably be a tight fit so decided to get back in the IS and move it forwards.

She said her foot slipped (it was pretty cold outside and im assuming her shoes were wet/icy). The IS went face first into the garage door and was at a weird angle so hit the wall on the driver's side.

Damage - Garage door is written off for sure. Front bumper has dropped about 1cm on the drivers side with a chunk taken out of the front lip under the right foglight from hitting the wall, scuff on the drivers side in front of the wheel (which is intact) and the front right wing is mangled. No dashboard lights and pop up hood didn't deploy.

Spoke to the receptionist today at Lexus Bradford, bodyshop is closed on Sundays so will let you know how it goes when I ring tomorrow morning.

If you recall, my car was still inside and the garage door was bent - well I managed to get it out after doing what was a 1000 point turn from her side of the garage LOL

Sorry to read this Rayaans, she must be mortified. She's only had the car a few weeks too, what a shame.

Can it be driven or is it a recovery job to the body shop?

At least nobody was hurt.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Bit of bad news there Rayaans, sorry about that. I hope that the little lady is not too shaken up. Ah! you didn't report on how the following row went, or was it, 'all quiet on the northern front?'

Solution might be to remove the pop up things from the car, seems that they only deploy suddenly, whilst driving along smooth roads, or when some clown jumps on the bonnet and roof, as a means of escape.

Fit the bonnet pop ups at the bottom of the garage door, with a proximity switch linked by wifi to the car, say range of 2/3mtrs. Presto, one fully automatic Lexus garage door, whoosh! they will open the door in milli seconds. This will save on heavy, unwanted, medical bills for the IS :)

Hope all gets sorted well.

Best wishes.

Michael.

Sorry to read this Rayaans, she must be mortified. She's only had the car a few weeks too, what a shame.

Can it be driven or is it a recovery job to the body shop?

At least nobody was hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still drives like a champ - insurance company (highway) said its fine to drive if there's no lights or anything loose. It just seems to be minor cosmetic damage which undoubtedly the Lexus bodyshop will charge £2-3k for.

On a side note - my insurance policy with Highway is coming to an end and Admiral came out cheapest this year. So, Id already bought the Admiral multicar policy for both cars with my car starting on 29th Nov!

Hats off to Admiral though, they waived the admin fee, put down my wife had an "at fault" incident and left the price as it was! phew!

Pics - just in case you didnt think it happened :whistling:

20151122_153922.jpg

20151122_153947.jpg

20151122_153959.jpg

20151122_154008.jpg

20151122_154025.jpg

20151122_154052.jpg

It's a new wing for sure on a car that new. The bumper is prob repairable but Lexus shop going through insurance will prob put in for new one also. The biggest cost may be the if the headlamp or LED strip is damaged. Also I have heard that the ice white colour is a hard match so be careful that the replaced wing and bumper match 100%.

At least no one hurt.

Hope you get it sorted...Can you claim that on insurance?

I would have thought so - especially since Highway told me to show it to the Lexus bodyshop and send them a quote via Audatex.

It's a new wing for sure on a car that new. The bumper is prob repairable but Lexus shop going through insurance will prob put in for new one also. The biggest cost may be the if the headlamp or LED strip is damaged. Also I have heard that the ice white colour is a hard match so be careful that the replaced wing and bumper match 100%.

At least no one hurt.

Id prefer a new wing in all honesty and I reckon they will just fit one. No damage to the headlight or the LED stripfrom what I can see so its all good on that front.

Most likely bumper will need replacing - atleast I wont have to get the stone chips done hahahaha!! Ah well. Im phoning them at 8:30am to see when I can take the car in for inspection.

Looks like the garage door should be able to just have the damaged strips removed & the guide rail replaced or straightened.

But if it is going through insurance who knows what will be done.

At least the car is still drivable & no-one was hurt, just wondering if I should fit a roller door to my carport on not after this?

4d36a3e080fccc59552f04a8acb17f92.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Looks like the garage door should be able to just have the damaged strips removed & the guide rail replaced or straightened.

But if it is going through insurance who knows what will be done.

At least the car is still drivable & no-one was hurt, just wondering if I should fit a roller door to my carport on not after this?

4d36a3e080fccc59552f04a8acb17f92.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The car itself is covered by the insurance but Highway said that because the garage door is my property, I'll have to get it fixed myself. I think the bottom 10 slats will need removing and then the door will come out completely. They'll take the intact door away and just fit the extra 10 slats and bring it back.

The guide rail is better if its straightened as its set in concrete at the bottom :o I can live with the slight damage on the cladding as its not very noticeable,

The roller garage door is great and hasn't had any problems - of course, the wife driving into it would be similiar to her driving into the wooden post on your car port!!

If it wasn't set in concrete (im going to blame the floor guy for this) it would be SUCH a simple job that I'd do it myself!

I once damaged the up and over door of our double garage when in a hurry on a dark night I tried to reverse out without first opening the main door. Could happen to anyone .... (?) My Lexus is200 sport was undamaged. The dent in the garage door is still there ten years later. The 200 sport had a boot spoiler made of steel which took the impact and saved the boot itself from the quite serious damage that might otherwise have been caused.

It is gut wrenching when you cherish your cars but it is not the end of the world.

Out of interest, after the claim, does this put a Cat C or D on the V5?

Nothing Im assuming. Its only CAT D if written off. It depends on the bodyshop quotation in the end. If Highway think it doesnt make financial sense then they'll write it off as CAT D.

Cant see why though, not exactly major damage and it'd be 10-15% of car value at most so not exactly huge.

I feel for you, but is's do seem to be attracted to garage doors, I had mine a week when my son operated the garage door, my car was parked in front and as the door opened, it hit the bumper and rear lights, fortunately silver is very forgiving and mostly polished out, the inner rear light and some minor crazing but not noticeable, the garage door was a right off!

rayaans, if you've got Buildings Accidental Damage cover on your home insurance, you'll be able to claim on that for the repairs/replacement to the garage.

Ive never taken out Accidental Damage cover on home insurance. Ive never really needed it.

Its not a huge issue though, I have the funds to sort the door out and it doesn't really matter if it doesnt work for the next few weeks as the car can just stay outside lol. Im getting a few people round to see what they can do with it.

So just an update of the situation:

8:30am - Phoned Lexus Bradford who booked an appointment for 4pm same day

4pm - Arrived, showed the car to them. They took pictures of the damage and the pictures will be sent to RRG bodyshop in Bolton (Bradford is part of the RRG group). RRG bodyshop will make a quote and send it to LV (highway) via Audatex code and I should know what's happening within 48 hours. They said that LV will phone myself and the RRG bodyshop if its OK to proceed.

Bradford also inspected the car quickly and said its fine to drive, no damage other than cosmetics.

Used to have barn type, wooden garage doors, rather than a flip over one.

My wife decided to reverse our Audi A8 whilst having a heated "debate" with one of our sons... and did so at speed, forgetting that her driver's door was still open. Oh she did get out of the garage alright... bending the driver's door back and taking half the garage door with her.

Used to have barn type, wooden garage doors, rather than a flip over one.

My wife decided to reverse our Audi A8 whilst having a heated "debate" with one of our sons... and did so at speed, forgetting that her driver's door was still open. Oh she did get out of the garage alright... bending the driver's door back and taking half the garage door with her.

Much worse than the IS then!

Another update - been contacted early morning today. RRG bodyshop phoned me and said LV had approved the repair.

Therefore, RRG Bodyshop will pick the car up on Tuesday, they will drop off a courtesy car at the same time and will have the job done by Tuesday next week

Also I have had a quote for the garage door which came out at a surprising £290 inc VAT so not bad.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links