Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Knocking On The Rear, Vibrations Under Braking ?q?

James Trendall

Hi so recently my IS200 has started to have a slight knock at the rear. It only seems to happen when i accelerate or brake from the rear drivers side. I can only assume its the bushes gone.

I had a quick google and i cant seem to find just a bush kit. anyone know if i can just buy bushes or do i really need the entire read hub section?

Also under braking i have a vibration... Rather violent sometimes that shakes the steering wheel. I know the front passenger side disc is warped but what gets me is when i turn the car left the vibrations stop. Could their be any other underlying issue for this or just a common disc fault?

For the love of god please help me with finding bushes as i assume they're cheaper than a £100 rear hub assembly that keeps showing up on google.

Thanks,

James

You said you assume it's the bushes, and on that assumption you are prepared to buy parts?

Have you examined the car, it could be something as simple as a missing exhaust bracket/hanger.

You will not find out unless you get low and dirty.

I only assume its the rear bushes gone since it only knocks once under acceleration and again under braking as if a bit of metal moves forward/backwards inside of a ring.

I'll get under the car soon and give everything a good wiggle to be 100% sure but right now i'm pretty confident that's the problem tho. I've actually just found some on Fleebay for £17 each. Just need to double check that's the right part first.

I mention examining the car because a bloke posted on here recently, about something making a noise at the rear of his car. He asked for advice and everyone starts mentioning components that could be the culprit.

In the end it was his spare wheel that was loose. :lol:

Haha. I'll check the spare wheel and anything rattling around in the boot just to be sure. It's just odd how its a single knock when i accelerate and a single knock when i touch the brakes.

I've cleaned my car inside and out to make it look showroom clean, resprayed the wheels silver instead of the horrid black, new filter, plugs, leads, etc... Brakes have just been done to sort out the vibration under braking (Unless i turn left and it went?) Now this annoying knocking sound. Its nothing huge but it's nice not having to worry about anything major braking causing more damage.

I'll get it up on the stand after work tomorrow and give it a good once over. including removing my can of WD40 (I bet thats what it is lol) and report back with whats at fault.

I love this car. Shame its low on power but with the Supercharger sourced it should be a little more gutsy with a full family in the car.

I mention examining the car because a bloke posted on here recently, about something making a noise at the rear of his car. He asked for advice and everyone starts mentioning components that could be the culprit.

In the end it was his spare wheel that was loose. :lol:

Indeed, and 'he' ... is still embarrassed about it!

BUT... the solution was a cheap one!

:geek:

I don't like diagnosing cars on the Internet, as I keep banging on, "someone has to get low and dirty"

But.......knocking on acceleration and braking . My first point of call would be checking the drop links.

Well i've had the car up on stands today and apart from finding a nice rotten exhaust pipe everything seems just fine. I've removed everything from the boot and the knock still is there. I've wiggled... Ok yanked everything around and nothing seems to make any noise at all.

I get cold, wet and fed up so i chucked the wheels back on and drove forward a few feet.... Yup the knock is still there. But this time when i heard the knock i pressed the clutch in and heard it again as the clutch disengaged... I might have a look at the universal joint and where it connects to the diff to see if there's any play with those. If not i honestly have no idea where the knock is coming from.

I did solve the vibration under braking by swapping the discs over. I put a new set of drilled/grooved discs all round and its sooo smooth braking now its bliss.

Tomorrow i'll be dropping the exhaust (Center box) as there's a nice big rusty hole on the joint that needs welding up.

Good luck, not the weather for crawling under cars.

I did a full day with my son replacing all four coil springs and front anti-roll bushes on his Vectra the other week.

I was knackered, we finished after dark.

Beer and a hot bath were required.