Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacement Shock Absorbers For 2006 Gs50H - What Options?

glawrie

The shocks are easy to change. The rears the most difficult because you have to remove all the boot trim before you start, and reach in some distance to get at the top mounting point.

Although everything I have read about removal says a spring compressor is required. On the spares that I have with springs I can easily remove and fit the rear springs without such equipment. I have not as yet tried this out on the fronts as I have no parts to try. I will however keep you posted as to my findings.

A trolley jack or two, and a few sockets are all that is required in the way of equipment.

John

Thanks John. That is all the encouragement I need.

Back in the old (very old) days I did pretty well everything that needed doing on my vehicles*. After I stopped riding motorcycles and cars became more reliable I got out of practice. I think the last thing I did was check and clean the brakes just before a service and MOT just as I always did before an MOT. The service checked them again so I didn't bother after that. I had a Camry for 6 years and then a '98 GS300 for 10 years and neither required anything I could do. My confidence waned but it is back now. Thanks

* including a Vincent in the 1967 Senior TT

I am preparing a plan B in case my warranty claim fails. I have a quote for all four dampers from both Amayama and www.lexuspartsnow.com/ as mentioned by glawrie in an earlier posting.

I think the part numbers are rears 4853080357, and fronts 4851080429 and 48520801765. The Amayama price including shipping but excluding inport duties, VAT etc is an eye-watering £2237. lexuspartsnow quote £710 without the shipping and importing costs. i.e. probablely about 40% of Amayama's price.

glawrie did you eventually buy your shocks from lexuspartsnow? Did it all work smoothly and what were in importing costs?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2016 at 3:48 PM, OldTrout said:

I am preparing a plan B in case my warranty claim fails. I have a quote for all four dampers from both Amayama and www.lexuspartsnow.com/ as mentioned by glawrie in an earlier posting.

I think the part numbers are rears 4853080357, and fronts 4851080429 and 48520801765. The Amayama price including shipping but excluding inport duties, VAT etc is an eye-watering £2237. lexuspartsnow quote £710 without the shipping and importing costs. i.e. probablely about 40% of Amayama's price.

glawrie did you eventually buy your shocks from lexuspartsnow? Did it all work smoothly and what were in importing costs?

The shocks are easy to change. The rears the most difficult because you have to remove all the boot trim before you start, and reach in some distance to get at the top mounting point.

Although everything I have read about removal says a spring compressor is required. On the spares that I have with springs I can easily remove and fit the rear springs without such equipment. I have not as yet tried this out on the fronts as I have no parts to try. I will however keep you posted as to my findings.

A trolley jack or two, and a few sockets are all that is required in the way of equipment.

John

As per my previous post on the GS450H a spring compressor is not required to change the front or rear shocks. This makes it a simple DIY job.

1  (Front and rear) Undo the centre top shock mounting nut with the car still on it's wheels. Do not undo the three top mounting nuts. At the front the cover over the mounting must be removed "three nuts".

2 (Rear) jack up the car and remove stabilizer link bolt, headlamp link, shock absorber bottom bolt, and lower arm to hub bolt.                        (Front) As above, but undo top suspension ball joint instead of lower arm bolt, and unplug the ABS cable from the hub.

3 Prize down bottom arm with suitable lever "does not require much effort". Withdraw shock with loose spring.

To refit:- Fit spring over shock, fit spring with shock in place and fit shock lower mounting bolt. jack under the suspension aligning the spring on it's seats fitting top mounting nut as the thread appears through the top mount.

This save the hassle, and dangers of using spring clamps. I do not know if this applies to other GS models, but I do not see why not.

John

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links