Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Returning A Vehicle To Dealer

RAB327

I purchased an RX450h from a main dealer, I know nothing about cars and simply rely on other peoples honesty. When I was discussing buying the vehicle with the salesman I was concerned that it had done 40000 miles in a single year, the manager appeared and said not to worry as it had been fully serviced elsewhere and as Lexus did the last service it would be approved by them.

After paying for the car I found that it did not have the services that he said and together with a few other issues we agreed to take it back and refund me my £18450, I wanted my Mercedes back and the money I had paid but it has been sold,

My question is should they have kept he car for 14 days in case I returned the car and if so and they had sold it am I entitled to the price that they sold it for or the actual value that it was worth as they only gave me £2300 part ex because I am a loser on the Mercedes.

Any advice would be appreciated

I purchased an RX450h from a main dealer, I know nothing about cars and simply rely on other peoples honesty. When I was discussing buying the vehicle with the salesman I was concerned that it had done 40000 miles in a single year, the manager appeared and said not to worry as it had been fully serviced elsewhere and as Lexus did the last service it would be approved by them.

After paying for the car I found that it did not have the services that he said and together with a few other issues we agreed to take it back and refund me my £18450, I wanted my Mercedes back and the money I had paid but it has been sold,

My question is should they have kept he car for 14 days in case I returned the car and if so and they had sold it am I entitled to the price that they sold it for or the actual value that it was worth as they only gave me £2300 part ex because I am a loser on the Mercedes.

In law your entitled to be placed in the position you were before the transaction. In reality however your Merc has gone so you'll have to look at alternatives more of which later.

When did you notify the garage of your concerns? This info is important as it will give a time-line between when you reported it and their actions

No idea regarding the legal aspects but as this was the dealer's mistake (basically misdescribing the vehicle) I would be asking in addition to the refund the difference between the trade in allowance of £2300.00 and the retail value you would have expected to achieve if you had sold the car privately or placed on a dealers forecourt.

Or consider the cost of finding a replacement Mercedes of the same year,mileage and specification as the one you had.

Perhaps contacting the CAB or your local trading standards would be beneficial.

Thanks for the replies, I have offered Lexus to try and come to an agreement giving me a the difference in value of a same year vehicle with no service history and one with service history. I don't think I am being unreasonable and just want a vehicle that has been looked after, I have never spent that amount of money on a car for myself before and want to enjoy it.

After reading a few things I also believe that the warranty provided by them would not be valid as the vehicle was not maintained to the manufacturers specifications, so that is something else that I have to clarify.

By the way if it does go back I will be in the market for another RX450h SE-l or the premier up to £18500 to £20,000 if anybody has one to sell or maybe I should just stick to older cars as they are not so much stress.

My 06 Merc E320 had 186000 on the clock and never let me down so it's food for thought as I only average 7000 miles a year as I spend most of my time in my van working

In law your entitled to be placed in the position you were before the transaction. In reality however your Merc has gone so you'll have to look at alternatives more of which later.

When did you notify the garage of your concerns? This info is important as it will give a time-line between when you reported it and their actions

I picked it up on the 20th and spoke to the salesman on the 24th, he said he would have the manager to phone me. I waited 3 days and when he didn't call I emailed Lexus on the 27th but have had no reply from them either so they have probably gone directly to the manager. If I wasn't so busy myself I could have taken my time to check on the details but like I said previously I relied on their honesty. Thanks for your reply

I picked it up on the 20th and spoke to the salesman on the 24th, he said he would have the manager to phone me. I waited 3 days and when he didn't call I emailed Lexus on the 27th but have had no reply from them either so they have probably gone directly to the manager. If I wasn't so busy myself I could have taken my time to check on the details but like I said previously I relied on their honesty. Thanks for your reply

If you have finance on your car go to the finance company as they own title to the car until paid for. In law they have supplied you with the car not the garage. Mike.

Which Lexus dealer is it? Name and shame buddy so others can be extra-cautious with the dealer when buying.

They should refund the money you paid for the car, they have done this. However, they should also give you the P/X money. Now obviously you will be on the losing side of this due to retail value being higher than P/X.

If they don't contact you, I suggest following this link http://blog.lexus.co.uk/contact-us/ and sending an email to the Customer Relations team who should help

Well after several phone calls between us and a lot of searching by them, they have come up with a service history from another Lexus garage in Lincoln and also a major service invoice from September for £1220. It seems it had it all the time and couldn't be bothered to find it, I'm a happier man now and starting to enjoy the vehicle.

Thanks for all your replies

• Like 1

Which Lexus dealer is it? Name and shame buddy so others can be extra-cautious with the dealer when buying.

They should refund the money you paid for the car, they have done this. However, they should also give you the P/X money. Now obviously you will be on the losing side of this due to retail value being higher than P/X.

If they don't contact you, I suggest following this link http://blog.lexus.co.uk/contact-us/ and sending an email to the Customer Relations team who should help

They are required to give their selling price to OP or the PX which ever is the greater sum

They are required to give their selling price to OP or the PX which ever is the greater sum

Not exactly, citizen advice state they should give the agreed P/X price as its agreed they would have done some work to the car before selling it on