Interior and Comfort. *****

Practicality and boot space. *****

Engines, and performance. ****

Ride ****

MPG. ***

Reliability. *****

Verdict. *****

Style.

The NX is the best looking SUV on the market right now, in my opinion. Although not all would agree with that statement as it is too much for some, but I think it looks stunning.

Interior and Comfort.

The interior is one of the best in its class. The leather seats are superb; in fact they are the best seats I have ever sat in, I wish I had them in my lounge. The driving position is easy to get right. The cabin is well laid out and in general it's a very nice place to be.

Practicality and boot space.

Compared to others in this class, the NX may be slightly smaller,but not by much. That is because it has a spare wheel! Yes, it is true, a car with a spare wheel, something of a rarity these days. The rear shelf is easily taken down and there is a space to store it away just above where the spare wheel is, a nice touch that. The seats easily fold down and the loading space is flat.

The back seat legroom is good, so is headroom. The back doors open nice and wide, making it easy to get in and out, it is also easy to get young children in and out of child seats.

Engines, and performance.

In my opinion the 2.5 Petrol/Hybrid engine copes well on our UK roads. However, compared to a normal petrol car with a turbo, or a diesel, some may feel it lacks power. I don't find this, but maybe it is because my previous car was also a hybrid, so I am used to the power provided. There are three driving modes to choose from. 'Normal' is what I use mostly and I find it is not lacking. In fact compared to my old CT, it appears to have slightly more pulling power. Even the 'Eco' mode seems better, as I found the CT 'Eco' mode made the car a bit sluggish. I do get slightly better MPG when I use 'Eco', but it is so minimal I rarely use it. The 'Sport' mode makes the car slightly more responsive. I used 'Sport' mode quite a bit in my old CT, mainly to give better acceleration when overtaking, but I find in the NX it copes well enough in 'Normal' mode so have not used it as much. I understand that when fully loaded the 'Sport' mode helps the car on steep hills and when overtaking. As I have not had it fully loaded yet I have not tried this out.

Ride.

This is the one area I was disappointed in on the CT. Lexus gave the CT a sporty ride, which means it is quite firm. Some like this, others, myself included, did not. So I made sure the NX had a softer ride, it does. It is fair to say it is not the softest riding SUV, the Range Rover Discovery Sport is softer, but it also has a lot of body roll, which the NX does not have. If I was being really picky, I would say it could be softer, but I think the ride/body roll balance is not far off the mark, about the same as the BMW X3 and the Audi Q3.

MPG.

The official government figures published by Lexus and used in all the advertising states this car achieves 54.3mpg. This is not possible in real world driving. My average is about 34mpg, so well down on the official figures. On some long journeys I can reach the high 30's but on short trips to the shops etc it barely reaches 30mpg . This is still not bad for a car of this size and comparable to diesels on short journeys but lower than diesels on long journeys. I knew the real world figure would be mid 30's so it was not a big issue for me.

Reliability.

In my four and a half year ownership, covering 40k miles, I never had a need to take my CT back for any fault. Says it all really. Lexus dealerships are the best. I expect no difference for the NX

Optional Extras

I added the following:

Protection pack - The rubber mats are very nice, especially in the winter months. The rubber boot mat and net is also very useful. Not sure if I like the mud flaps, but I am sure they help keep the car clean.

Illuminated Scuff Plates - A bit pricey, but I must admit they do look nice, so I am glad I had them fitted.

Panoramic Roof - You loose the roof rails, but as I would never use them it was not a problem. The interior is nice and light, even on a dull day. I understand some say the it can make the car noisier, but I have not found this. Passengers in the back seats love it, my grandson especially thinks it is great. 'It's like having a convertible without the wind' a passenger said.

Sat Nav - Very overpriced, but I had it anyway. I have not used it much, but it seems to work well enough, albeit a bit complex to work. There is no way to turn off the voice easily without going back to the menu, which is daft.

Convenience Pack - Power Tailgate, lazy but nice. Smartphone charger, only works well with some smartphones (not apple iphones), so a bit of a gimmick really.

Other Positives.

I like the way the fog lights come on when cornering slowly, it illuminates where you are going, very handy.

Reversing camera and front and rear parking sensors. A 'must have' in a car this size. Excellent.

Smart entry is really nice.

Adaptive Cruse Control is wonderful, not used much, but very useful on long motorway journeys.

Electric Parking Brake and 'hold' button. Both are brilliant.

Other Negatives.

The bottoms of the doors (inside) get very dirty, especially the back doors which seem to attract the dirt/mud/leaves. I've never had this in a car before, so it needs regular cleaning. I think it must be a design fault.

Hard to reach when cleaning the roof.

Verdict.

So far this car has been a dream to own. I love it, so does my wife. I look forward to driving it, which says it all really. I was concerned after reading various reviews, but I need not have been worried, as the NX does everything so well and in style. Only 2000 miles covered so far, which is not much, but I know the NX will serve us well for many years to come. I can't help but look back to it as I walk away. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I doubt I would find anything better than an NX. It does everything I want it to, drives well and looks stunning.

• Like 2

Great review Alec, and with 2300 on mine I find myself agreeing with pretty much every point you've made. I have the F Sport and prefer both the styling and the ride, but the latter in particular is so subjective the best advice can only ever be go and try them for oneself.

My mpg is slightly better at 36 average, I have possibly done a few longer journeys than you. The adaptive cruise is brilliant, it takes so much stress away and I've used it on A road and dual carriageway journeys as well as the motorway. Likewise the adaptive fog lights, hold button and power tailgate are all great to have, the Qi charging pad not so.

Coming from an IS300h (and prior to that an IS250) I did wonder whether I'd notice the power difference, and had a couple of extended test drives before buying (having read all the comments on here). I really don't have any issues with it, it's plenty powerful enough for me. I haven't used Sport or Sport+ mode at all, that did make a big difference to the IS300h so it will be interesting to give that a go at some point. Personally I think Eco mode is a waste of time, I drive in Normal and like many others enjoy the game of keeping it in EV, particularly in slow moving traffic.

I was parked in a pretty big out door car park yesterday (Brighton Amex stadium) and the car stood out like a beacon amongst the nondescript plethora of other makes. Loved it [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Great review Alec, and with 2300 on mine I find myself agreeing with pretty much every point you've made. I have the F Sport and prefer both the styling and the ride, but the latter in particular is so subjective the best advice can only ever be go and try them for oneself.

My mpg is slightly better at 36 average, I have possibly done a few longer journeys than you. The adaptive cruise is brilliant, it takes so much stress away and I've used it on A road and dual carriageway journeys as well as the motorway. Likewise the adaptive fog lights, hold button and power tailgate are all great to have, the Qi charging pad not so.

Coming from an IS300h (and prior to that an IS250) I did wonder whether I'd notice the power difference, and had a couple of extended test drives before buying (having read all the comments on here). I really don't have any issues with it, it's plenty powerful enough for me. I haven't used Sport or Sport+ mode at all, that did make a big difference to the IS300h so it will be interesting to give that a go at some point. Personally I think Eco mode is a waste of time, I drive in Normal and like many others enjoy the game of keeping it in EV, particularly in slow moving traffic.

I was parked in a pretty big out door car park yesterday (Brighton Amex stadium) and the car stood out like a beacon amongst the nondescript plethora of other makes. Loved it [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think thats one of the things I'm really looking forward to most, the fact I will be driving something "different" to most other people on the road (or car park!)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Excellent review by Gogy, my 200t F sport just clocked 200miles today so early days yet. But I echo the comment about the interior, mine also have the panoramic roof. Also I like the fact that there is virtually no body roll. I also agree premium Nav is pricey at almost £2k.

Good review. 

I would like an NX due to the more manageable size but there are some serious issues which are stopping me. 

1) The drivetrain.  I can probably train myself to deal with it but coming from a 450h, I feel like I'll miss the power

2) MPG - I do short trips everyday apart from Wednesdays and Sundays. I get 28-30mpg in my RX and on longer journeys I get 33-35mpg (In Sport mode!!!). The minimal difference in MPG would make me question the power difference. Id be going for the 200t as the MPG doesn't matter that much.

3) I like the look of the F Sport but it's not available with memory seats or HUD which I have now

4) we take the RX on long trips and are a family of 5. The Mrs (5 ft 4)  sits in the middle between the two naughty ones whilst my oldest son sits in the front (6 ft 2). She complained that the middle seat belt annoyed her when using it and honestly it annoys me in the rear view mirror too. Due to less width it gets tight back there too 

5) feels cocooned inside like the IS. I like the RX more as there's more width. I prefer width in SUVs but like the cocooned feeling in cars.

6) not sure if I like the hatch cover. Seems wierd not to use the roller from RX

I feel Lexus UK are doing a crap job with the specs on these cars. Would be good if they sorted it out!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just completed 6k now, and loving the car. It's an absolute pleasure to drive, so much so that my wife wants to drive it all the time. :( No real gripes other than the dirt that tends to collect on the under-inside of the door seals, so I have to give it a wipe now and again. MPG could also be better, still just averaging 35 mpg which is lower than most get, but my short journeys account for that. Radio is complicated to re-tune, I lost all my DAB stations trying to re-tune and had to get the dealership to sort it out. :wallbash: Other than that it is a dream.

• Like 2

You're not alone with the mpg, 6.3k on the clock and 34.6 mpg average since getting the car end of Sept. 90% of my journeys are less than 5 miles so it's no surprise and taking into account the differences in weight, aero dynamics etc where I'd expect it to be compared to my IS300h. Driving is a pleasure and passengers love being in it, the pano roof is a big favourite. For the odd longer motorway type trip I love the adaptive cruise control. The list of 'must haves' just gets longer with each car I get lol.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 10:02 AM, DJP said:

the pano roof is a big favourite

Do your passengers ever complain about restricted headroom because of the panoramic roof?

18 minutes ago, DanD said:

Do your passengers ever complain about restricted headroom because of the panoramic roof?

No, but neither the wife or the daughters are taller than 5' 4". They do love the reclining seats in the rear but continually push the boundaries and have made a request that on the next car they are electric and heated in the back :laugh:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DanD said:

Nope, in fact I have traveled in the back on a few occasions and am 6' tall and not had a problem. I know they say it can impact on headroom, but it seems to be fine in the NX. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30 November 2015 at 8:45 PM, Goggy said:

The bottoms of the doors (inside) get very dirty, especially the back doors which seem to attract the dirt/mud/leaves. I've never had this in a car before, so it needs regular cleaning. I think it must be a design fault.

I have a GS300 (year 2007) and one of the things I really like is that when you open the doors, the internal door frames are all clean and shiny. I've presumed this is because they have excellent door seals. Disappointed to hear that the NX has a problem in that respect. I'm actually still looking for the right spec RX at the right price/condition (no rush) 2012 onwards. Can anyone tell me if the RX internal door frames stay clean? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10 March 2016 at 11:59 PM, rayaans said:

Good review. 

I would like an NX due to the more manageable size but there are some serious issues which are stopping me. 

1) The drivetrain.  I can probably train myself to deal with it but coming from a 450h, I feel like I'll miss the power

2) MPG - I do short trips everyday apart from Wednesdays and Sundays. I get 28-30mpg in my RX and on longer journeys I get 33-35mpg (In Sport mode!!!). The minimal difference in MPG would make me question the power difference. Id be going for the 200t as the MPG doesn't matter that much.

3) I like the look of the F Sport but it's not available with memory seats or HUD which I have now

4) we take the RX on long trips and are a family of 5. The Mrs (5 ft 4)  sits in the middle between the two naughty ones whilst my oldest son sits in the front (6 ft 2). She complained that the middle seat belt annoyed her when using it and honestly it annoys me in the rear view mirror too. Due to less width it gets tight back there too 

5) feels cocooned inside like the IS. I like the RX more as there's more width. I prefer width in SUVs but like the cocooned feeling in cars.

6) not sure if I like the hatch cover. Seems wierd not to use the roller from RX

I feel Lexus UK are doing a crap job with the specs on these cars. Would be good if they sorted it out!

What are your reasons for you to go for the 200t (if you were to go for an NX), just wondering why you would move away from hybrid? Also, I have a 2007 GS300 and have been thinking of getting an RX Luxury/Advance 2012/2014 or a used NX 300h Luxury. Just wondering which is the best car, NX 200t or 300h? Has anyone here moved from GS300 to NX or RX. I did sit in a used RX today and it did feel extremely large, maybe too large, although I accept that we do adapt to size after a little while.........

It all depends what your priorities are and whether or not you need the interior space that the RX offers. Ultimately, the RX is a design that dates back to 2008/2009 and both design and technology are - to some extent - a little dated in comparison to the NX.

for space and performance, I would recommend the RX. For everything else, I think the NX is probably the better choice.

• Like 1

Hi JeffL

I have a RX450h. I noticed that after cleaning within a couple of days the two rear door become quite dirty at the bottoms. In my mind its a design fault because when closed the bottoms of the rear doors form the surface of the wheel arch and so collect any dirt thrown up by the rear tyres.

• Like 1

Don't know if it's just me, but coming from an IS300h I find that there seems to be a fair bit of roughness transmitted thru the controls, especially the brake pedal when driving on very coarse tarmac. I've also noticed that the lower front grille and lower lip seems to flex a lot. Other than still playing with the drivers seat position, it's a great car..

• 9 months later...

Hey all, 

I am contemplating purchasing the Lexus NX 300h, I enjoyed the test drive I was lucky enough to drive the premier model. The model I am interested in purchasing is the Luxury. But I wanted to know are there any members in here who have a young family? The NX fits the bill size wise and the reviews I watched looked fine in regards to space in the rear, however they did not highlight 3 car seats. I didn't put the child seats I have into the test drive vehicle either so I am unaware if this will work? 

I have a toddler who is in a booster seat with a back style car seat, I have a daughter who uses a booster seat. But the wife and I are thinking of expanding the family so would an baby seat also fit in the vehicle?

Thanks in advance

56 minutes ago, Omegajb said:

Hey all, 

I am contemplating purchasing the Lexus NX 300h, I enjoyed the test drive I was lucky enough to drive the premier model. The model I am interested in purchasing is the Luxury. But I wanted to know are there any members in here who have a young family? The NX fits the bill size wise and the reviews I watched looked fine in regards to space in the rear, however they did not highlight 3 car seats. I didn't put the child seats I have into the test drive vehicle either so I am unaware if this will work? 

I have a toddler who is in a booster seat with a back style car seat, I have a daughter who uses a booster seat. But the wife and I are thinking of expanding the family so would an baby seat also fit in the vehicle?

Thanks in advance

The simple answer would be no. 2 seats on either side are fine but the car won't fit 3 unless you don't use the isofix points and instead push the seats all the way out to the doors - even then, it'll be a squeeze if borderline impossible.

If any of your children is over 135cm you can remove the booster seat without issue which may make space.

Or.....it might be best to just jiggle with the johnny on I think :tongue:

he simple answer would be no. 2 seats on either side are fine but the car won't fit 3 unless you don't use the isofix points and instead push the seats all the way out to the doors - even then, it'll be a squeeze if borderline impossible.

If any of your children is over 135cm you can remove the booster seat without issue which may make space.

Or.....it might be best to just jiggle with the johnny on I think :tongue:

Thanks for the prompt reply, that is interesting to know. My elder daughter is near that limit so when we are ready to expand the family she will not need the booster seat. I guess it may still be a little cramped in the back squashed next to a baby seat and a booster seat with a back? But little ones have to sacrifice right haha.

I would definitely want to ensure I continue to use the isofix base points as they provide so much more safety I wouldn't want to go without. Thanks for your help and I cannot wait to join the Lexus club and to have found a UK based owners forum!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omegajb said:

Thanks for the prompt reply, that is interesting to know. My elder daughter is near that limit so when we are ready to expand the family she will not need the booster seat. I guess it may still be a little cramped in the back squashed next to a baby seat and a booster seat with a back? But little ones have to sacrifice right haha.

I would definitely want to ensure I continue to use the isofix base points as they provide so much more safety I wouldn't want to go without. Thanks for your help and I cannot wait to join the Lexus club and to have found a UK based owners forum!

Yes it would be cramped as she would get the middle seat. 

Best bet is to make sure you get a smallish seat, or remove the back from the booster seat. 

Yeah after seeing rayaans is an RX owner I may have to go for that. I have requested a brochure this morning actually, and have read a parkers review and watched several reviews on the RX. It does seem like a very nice vehicle, I am just not used to driving such a beast being an owner of a hatchback vehicle. It will take some time getting used to. I will need to test drive the RX, and check out the infotainment system as the reviews said it is already dated. But it didnt look too bad in my opinion. Again I think I would go for the Luxury spec although the Premier would be nice with the additional sound system, but I think the price its just too much for the extra "luxuries".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Omegajb said:

Yeah after seeing rayaans is an RX owner I may have to go for that. I have requested a brochure this morning actually, and have read a parkers review and watched several reviews on the RX. It does seem like a very nice vehicle, I am just not used to driving such a beast being an owner of a hatchback vehicle. It will take some time getting used to. I will need to test drive the RX, and check out the infotainment system as the reviews said it is already dated. But it didnt look too bad in my opinion. Again I think I would go for the Luxury spec although the Premier would be nice with the additional sound system, but I think the price its just too much for the extra "luxuries".

Try tracking down an Advance model if you go RX. They have all the kit you really need and are well priced.

Generally it depends what you want from your infotainment. It works well enough for me. I use my phone/laptop for other things

• Like 1