Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anoying Rattle From Under Car And Nobody Seems To Be Able To Cure It

janner

Hi, hope everyone is having a nice Sunday. I wonder if anyone can shed some light on a right pain in the ***** problem with my is 200 sport (2004)

I have a rattle. A right nuisance. Not loud but loud enough to notice. It seems to come from the front of the car.

I had one shock changed just after i got the car. Still rattles

I had new discs and pads on the front

A garage told me it was the anti roll bar bushes, so had them changed at £130. Didn't work

Took it elsewhere, and THEY said also the anti roll bar, looked at the previous garages work, said was poor quality and replaced them. so i paid TWICE for the same damn job but this time they replaced 2 other bushes or dampers, in the middle of the bar. £150. Still bloody rattles

They are now saying it is the lower ball joints, to replace, another £155.

Am i being taken for a ride here if you pardon the pun?

I was ripped off by a car dealer, one who didn't honour his warranty (Plympton car centre, Devon, avoid them like the plague) and have spent a small fortune on this damn car.

Does anyone think replacing the ball joints would fix it or is there something else it could be?

Rather spending so much money on hunch should have taken it to lexus dealers they probably charge you 100 to tell u problem sometimes won't even charge u might b something simple u said u only changed 1 shock really should always change pairs.maybe that is problem hope u get it sorted out

When heat shields come loose you get a metalic rattle. Could be stut top mounts have you tryed pressing on wings. Could even be pads in

the discs rattling.

Nah not metallic, more of a deeper sound. Suspension is sport, the lowered version so mot much play when you press wings down.

Is it more of a knock than a rattle, reason I ask this is the IS is known to suffer from a knocking noise from the front of the car. In my case when I owned my IS300 Sportcross, I had the car checked over by a trusted friend who runs his own independent garage and Lexus, both could hear the knock but neither could locate the cause?

After having all the ball joints, links etc checked with no issues I first had all the brake caliper components renewed without success, I then purchased aftermarket front shocks and Lexus top suspension mounts, once fitted the problem was 85% better and acceptable to live with.

If you search the net and on here there are quite a few threads on the subject and my conclusion is there is no single, common item causing this "knocking" sound. The original shocks were known to have a faulty internal valve problem which caused a knock, I think Lexus at the time, replaced these under warranty. Sadly it seems trial and error for each car is the best way forward.

Obviously the above relates more to a knock than a rattle, but thought it worth posting just in case......

I wish you all the best in sorting the problem out.

• Like 1

Does the rattle happen during normal driving? or more when you are going over a rough surface?

First thing to try would be to drive at a set speed under conditions were the noise is most noticeable and cover the brake, if the noise stops or changes you know the noise is to do with the brakes. My money would be on the caliper pins worn.

Also (not meaning to sound strange here) did the garages you took it to put it on a 2 post or a 4 post ramp. The only reason i an asking is that the suspension set up on the is makes it harder to diagnose suspension faults on 2 poster.

In regards to the bottom ball joints, it would be first prudent to inspect them for play. If you can't get any play out of them its probably best to put a tiny hole in the ball joint gaiter and squirt some grease in, if the noise changes over the next few days you know you have found your problem, if it doesn't i would look elsewhere.

As above i would have the other shock changes as a matter of course.

If nothing found it next would be to look into the drivetrain? Did the garages looking into the centre propshaft support? of the propshaft UJs ??

Dan

Does the rattle happen during normal driving? or more when you are going over a rough surface?

First thing to try would be to drive at a set speed under conditions were the noise is most noticeable and cover the brake, if the noise stops or changes you know the noise is to do with the brakes. My money would be on the caliper pins worn.

Also (not meaning to sound strange here) did the garages you took it to put it on a 2 post or a 4 post ramp. The only reason i an asking is that the suspension set up on the is makes it harder to diagnose suspension faults on 2 poster.

In regards to the bottom ball joints, it would be first prudent to inspect them for play. If you can't get any play out of them its probably best to put a tiny hole in the ball joint gaiter and squirt some grease in, if the noise changes over the next few days you know you have found your problem, if it doesn't i would look elsewhere.

As above i would have the other shock changes as a matter of course.

If nothing found it next would be to look into the drivetrain? Did the garages looking into the centre propshaft support? of the propshaft UJs ??

Dan

Hi and thanks for the reply.

The noise can be heard even when pulling away, in fact its only really noticeable when driving slowly, say under 30 mph.

Someone mentioned the brakes being a possible culprit?

When i bought the car the discs were warped so i had them replaced of course but maybe with the older discs it strained the caliper with the vibrations perhaps?

I'm not keen on really spending too much more money on this car i have to admit, although the noise bugs the hell out of me but the car has had waaaay too much money spent on it and i can see it becoming a money pit!

I'll get it checked out one more time

I have a similar sound on my RX.

Not all the time, but vaguely noticeable.

One garage thought it a possible shock absorber... just as a mention.

I had the front disks and pads done recently, ( it was there before ), so I know it's not that...

:geek:

In my experience, any suspension knock which doesn't seem to have a source usually turns out to be a top strut mount. They're pretty much impossible to test without taking them off and of course if you're paying someone to do the work it's going to be a few hours of labour.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again, i thought i should edit this post (i've left what i posted underneath)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!! :tsktsk:

the damn noise has started again after a week!!!!!!!!!!

Can you damn well believe it??!!!!!!

SO far in the 6 months of having this car I have forked out over 500 quid on suspension, taken it to 3 separate garages, and after what i thought was the solution the damn noise has started up again.

I really am thinking of cutting my losses and getting rid of this damn car.

I did a bit more research and found this is more common than i thought. Someone mentioned its the shock. Well that shock was replaced 6 months ago so how could it?

Can someone come up with another theory about how this can be cured? Preferably DIY as i dont want to chuck any more money at this issue, only for it to start again a week later

Hi, i just thought to update this thread if anyone was following it before xmas.

Knocking sounds GONE! (YAY!) Thanks to a very experienced mechanic called Bill at Elburton garages, Plymouth.

It was the offside lower ball joint, which was made worse by resonating along the front anti roll bar.

All done! And the car is lovely to drive without the rattle

Edited by janner
  • Like 1

My 'knock' WAS a shock.

Shock changed, noise gone...

Maybe take it to a different Lexus dealer for a 'health check'?

• Like 1

Well, my shock, the one where the noise is from, was changed 6 months ago.

Over the past while, i have tried many theories to silence the noise, each one costing me money.

I dont want to spend another 100 quid or so changing a 6 month old shock, for it to turn out to be the suspension mounts or something.

Sick of spending money on the car to be honest

My 'knock' WAS a shock.

Shock changed, noise gone...

Maybe take it to a different Lexus dealer for a 'health check'?

one more thing.......

As its finally stopped raining (!) down here in deepest, darkest Devon, I thought i would take a look before going back to the garage.

I had ONE shock fitted 5 months ago, as mentioned earlier. No idea if rattle was evident when car was bought as shock was done only one week later, so....

Under the bonnet i decided to check the top suspension mounts.

nearside, tight and good.

Then check the large central nut on the offside, where the rattle is from, and guess what, i could turn it almost 2 times around with a wrench.

So, hopefully that MAY possible fix it, when i go out tomorrow i will update this and let you know

(*fingers crossed)

• Like 1

no, the ball joint cured it, for a week!

..the same as the anti roll bar bushes cured it, for a week

and the same as replacing the track rod ends, cured it......for a week.

I think my car is haunted.

or, the real issue is with the shock or least its mounts.

No, actually i think the car is haunted

Was the loose top nut on the same strut you've already had replaced? I know knocks/rattles are very difficult to pinpoint but does it sound like it's coming from that side?

I hate to say it Janner but I've been looking for my knock for years. I've had 3 sets of shocks on it - all different makes. I replaced the top mount and lower balljoint. I'm about to change the ARB bushes and the drop links. Top balljoint seems ok - had it free of the link and it's tight as a ducks ****. I've also got the lower suspension control arm bush ready and waiting. That'll be a Spring time job I think.

I have a feeling I won't ever get to the root cause of it.

Paul