Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Successfully Running Lpg?

Yoda

So I just made some enquiries about fitting an LPG system to my truck once I get it back. The second chap I spoke to said he's done a few 2UZ Land Cruiser conversions and within 15-20,000 miles the valve seats and valves have shaken themselves to pieces due to the extra heat. The only solution he's aware of is hardened valves and seats at over £2k which makes the conversion hardly worth it. Though he's never done a 1UZ his assumption is that they would suffer the same way. He says this problem is common in Japanese engines. German and American tend to run well with LPG. Other European makes is a mixture of compatibility.

So, has anyone successfully run a 1UZ on LPG. Or is this is a known issue with no work practical around solution?

So I just made some enquiries about fitting an LPG system to my truck once I get it back. The second chap I spoke to said he's done a few 2UZ Land Cruiser conversions and within 15-20,000 miles the valve seats and valves have shaken themselves to pieces due to the extra heat. The only solution he's aware of is hardened valves and seats at over £2k which makes the conversion hardly worth it. Though he's never done a 1UZ his assumption is that they would suffer the same way. He says this problem is common in Japanese engines. German and American tend to run well with LPG. Other European makes is a mixture of compatibility.

So, has anyone successfully run a 1UZ on LPG. Or is this is a known issue with no work practical around solution?

Here I am promoting the joys of a bigger bank account while driving a fabulous V8. First of all LPG burns at a lower temperature to Petrol so if the guys valves burnt out they were already on their way out before running on LPG.

I have run on LPG for 16+ years for all my cars and the wifes, we have never ever had any trouble with any of the systems we have had installed and some of the cars that we have sold on are still running without problems. The other con is those who try to screw every penny and more out of the victims try to sell you an oil feed system at around £100. This was true 20+ years ago before we converted to lead free petrol, all the valves needed hardening which all modern engines are at point of manufacture now.

The single most important thing when spending your money is to insure that whoever you choose installs the system properly and neatly because believe you me there are plenty that turn up for work on a horse and it doesn't matter how much you pay for or whatever system you chose if its not installed properly its just money down the drain.

One more thing ignore anything UKLPG tell you, they are not an official government body that oversees the LPG industry in the UK they are just a LTD company who like to give the impression that they are government accredited but they are not, they are in it just just for money and no other reason. Mike.

PS I am paying 48p a litre.

This is the thing. LPG is 55p/litre down here and that's a saving of over 50p/litre. Even at £1600 for the conversion it's a no brainer to do it.

So, can I assume that you feel I've been sold a fast one? If I may be objective for a moment, what would be his motivation for telling me this? If he was a cowboy wouldn't he stay quiet and take my money? Then plead ignorance if and when the engine rattled itself to pieces?

I'm clueless either way. This is all new to me. But I did half guess it wouldn't be difficult to find people that are running it and proving it works. I've actually just noticed you're in Hampshire. Me too. Where did you get your installation done? And how many miles have you done since being on LPG?

You being local could be a great help. I'm keen to understand what's really happening.

I had lpg on my ls400 with no problems at all. To be honest it's most german cars that have issues with lpg especially Bmw. I didn't have a single issue on the ls400 running on lpg. I think the guy is trying to make money of you. I'd try someone else

That's the only bit I don't get. He's not trying to make money out of me because he's basically recommending that I don't have it done. If he was trying to con me he'd stay quiet and take my money and let me deal with the consequences.

As per my OP he suggests that the problem does not manifest for 15-20,000 miles. So without trying to make anyone look like they don't know what they're talking about (because honestly I'm happy there are people doing it) what kind of mileage have you all done since having LPG fitted?

I haven't done enough miles to disprove his theory, but I had the owners personal transport, a lpg converted Land cruiser amazon, when mine was being done, and that ran perfectly after many miles on gas.

I remember when unleaded first came in, and we had a load of Datsun/Toyota vehicles as taxis, all of which were already capable of using it without valve seat damage, unlike a lot of European/British cars at the time.

This is the thing. LPG is 55p/litre down here and that's a saving of over 50p/litre. Even at £1600 for the conversion it's a no brainer to do it.

So, can I assume that you feel I've been sold a fast one? If I may be objective for a moment, what would be his motivation for telling me this? If he was a cowboy wouldn't he stay quiet and take my money? Then plead ignorance if and when the engine rattled itself to pieces?

I'm clueless either way. This is all new to me. But I did half guess it wouldn't be difficult to find people that are running it and proving it works. I've actually just noticed you're in Hampshire. Me too. Where did you get your installation done? And how many miles have you done since being on LPG?

You being local could be a great help. I'm keen to understand what's really happening.

So, can I assume that you feel I've been sold a fast one? What have you bought. I didn't think you had purchased anything yet.

As for his motivation, I don't know him so cant comment but these fables that some of them spout are just complete rubbish and basically goes to show they do not have a clue about LPG, if they were knowledgeable about LPG they wouldn't come out with this drivel.

Mileage on my present car running on LPG is around 50,000 miles & over 5 years, no faults, but my last car which was a W124 Mercedes estate 2 litre, I did 125,000 miles and all faultless. That car is still running around today and still running faultlessly on LPG. Over the years if you were to add up the mileages of both my cars and the wifes it runs into hundreds of thousands of miles over the 16+ years.

I notice that a few other members who have been running their LS400s have commented on what their experience is with LPG which is all good. There have been a couple who have had problems with theirs and this is mainly down to poor installation and so called LPG engineers not knowing what they are doing.

I had mine fitted by Profess down in South Wales which cost £1000 and they fitted it in a day and lent me a car for the day to enjoy the beautiful countryside in Wales for the day.

You are more than welcome to come and see mine and I will happily take you for a ride and you can inspect my installation. Just let me know when by Private Message and I will let you have my phone number and address. One thing I should add is that they will not allow your car to go through the Channel Tunnel and there are alot of Lexus garages that will service the engine once the LPG installation has been done but there are plenty that will with many independent garages who will. Mike.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys. It appears at least as if this issue is not something known on this forum? Which is why I asked in the first place.

Mike, sorry bad choice of words. No I haven't bought anything. I mean he's sold me a fast one as in spun a web of lies? Although I'm still perplexed at his motivation for such. 50,000 is fairly solid proo though.

Just to clarify one thing, I don't have an LS400. The 1UZ is going in my truck as we speak. I would actually like to come and see yours. I would also like to speak to the chaps that did yours. I can't go anywhere until my truck comes back in the new year though.

I asked the same question on a couple of 1UZ Facebook groups. The response was a mixture of good and bad reports. Then one guy came on and said that due to the change over to unleaded fuel Lexus built the 1990-1994 1UZ with hardened valves and seats. He suggests this might be the reason some people think the 1UZ doesn't cope well with LPG and others think it's great. Anyone know if there's any credence to the hardened valve story?

Thanks for the feedback guys. It appears at least as if this issue is not something known on this forum? Which is why I asked in the first place.

Mike, sorry bad choice of words. No I haven't bought anything. I mean he's sold me a fast one as in spun a web of lies? Although I'm still perplexed at his motivation for such. 50,000 is fairly solid proo though.

Just to clarify one thing, I don't have an LS400. The 1UZ is going in my truck as we speak. I would actually like to come and see yours. I would also like to speak to the chaps that did yours. I can't go anywhere until my truck comes back in the new year though.

I asked the same question on a couple of 1UZ Facebook groups. The response was a mixture of good and bad reports. Then one guy came on and said that due to the change over to unleaded fuel Lexus built the 1990-1994 1UZ with hardened valves and seats. He suggests this might be the reason some people think the 1UZ doesn't cope well with LPG and others think it's great. Anyone know if there's any credence to the hardened valve story?

Doesn't sound right to me.

As I posted above, Japanese cars were able to run on unleaded in the early eighties, so I can't see the LS being built without hardened valve seats, particularly as it's main market was the US, where they were ahead of us on emissions.

Also, any car with a catalytic converter, had to run on unleaded, so as not to wreck the cat.

Forums and Internet advice can be great but this is its one failing. Someone says something like that and it's very hard to verify. These things are often just hearsay. And yours is 1999 on LPG....

Forums and Internet advice can be great but this is its one failing. Someone says something like that and it's very hard to verify. These things are often just hearsay. And yours is 1999 on LPG....

Yep, 99T reg, took a few attempts to get it running right, but once sorted has been faultless since, probably done around 12,000 miles.

Regarding the valve seat thing, I used to maintain Datsun Bluebirds and Laurels, as well as a few Toyotas, and they all reached around 200,000 miles as 24hr a day taxis, driven by an assortment of lunatics, and not one had valve trouble.

I had the heads off a few that had overheated and blown the gasket, again, no sign of any VSR.

When did you have in mind for coming over? Mike.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys, I'm a bit late to the party on this thread but I've only just joined. I run a gas yard that sells LPG and obviously I get to see a lot of converted cars and to chat to their owners. I've just purchased a 2005 LS430 from one of my regulars it's just nicely run-in at 304,000 miles, 250,000 of which were on LPG. Anyway point is:- Yes you can successfully convert most engines prior to the advent of direct petrol injection which has created a whole raft of problems in itself. I have seen and experienced valve recession in a number of engines but there doesn't appear to be a hard and fast list of suitable/unsuitable engines for conversion.

This all started because a local LPG fitter told me he's had bad experiences fitting LPG to 2UZ's. He refused to do a 1UZ on the basis the valves wouldn't take it. However as you can see from this thread the consensus is opposite. I've also had good feedback on the 1UZ facebook pages. 

Also something else occurred to me. I have a standalone engine management system. I can adjust my air fuel ratio and have  already done so for petrol. The thing that apparently kills valves with LPG is that it runs hotter. But being able to adjust the AFR should fix that. So all things considered so far I cannot see a reason against doing it. 

"The thing that apparently kills valves with LPG is that it runs hotter. But being able to adjust the AFR should fix that. So all things considered so far I cannot see a reason against doing it."

LPG runs at a cooler temperature to petrol.  If they found an engine busted with valve recession the damage was done before the LPG was fitted. Mike.

On 11/04/2016 at 3:57 PM, gassed up said:

Hi Guys, I'm a bit late to the party on this thread but I've only just joined. I run a gas yard that sells LPG and obviously I get to see a lot of converted cars and to chat to their owners. I've just purchased a 2005 LS430 from one of my regulars it's just nicely run-in at 304,000 miles, 250,000 of which were on LPG. Anyway point is:- Yes you can successfully convert most engines prior to the advent of direct petrol injection which has created a whole raft of problems in itself. I have seen and experienced valve recession in a number of engines but there doesn't appear to be a hard and fast list of suitable/unsuitable engines for conversion.

Hi Steve and welcome to the LOC, we are a friendly bunch and some of us even know how to pull them to bits and put them back together again, with of course the one bolt and washer left over.

We recommend you spend a couple of mins looking over the rules of the LOC, we will be asking questions later.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/terms-conditions/

Regards Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links