Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx450H Loud Creaking Noise When Steering At Full Lock

I have recently bought a 59 plate RX450h SE-L from a non-Lexus dealer.

When turning at full lock, there is a loud creaking noise coming from the front intermittently at very low speed.

The garage has greased suspension joints, but it hasn't helped.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what can cause this? It is really spoiling an otherwise great car!

Thanks.

I had a similar problem with my old Toyota Surf 4x4. In the end I think we decided it was either the coil springs chafing in the cups at each end or maybe the shocks - can't remember which but it never went away while I had the car (about 10 years)

I have recently bought a 59 plate RX450h SE-L from a non-Lexus dealer.

When turning at full lock, there is a loud creaking noise coming from the front intermittently at very low speed.

The garage has greased suspension joints, but it hasn't helped.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what can cause this? It is really spoiling an otherwise great car!

Thanks.

Maybe get a Lexus dealer to do one of their 'free safety checks'?

It might shed some light?

Mine does this too, in particular when driving on/off my drive at full lock. I was told by the dealer that it's nothing to worry about, although I can't remember the full explanation.

W3, if it's not 'normal' electric power steering noise and most suspension parts have been greased, then it could be the suspension coils/springs as someone mentioned above or even the suspension top mounts as they have bearings to allow the strut to pivot as you turn the wheel and are located where the top of the strut joins to the car body under the black cowl by the windshield in the engine bay.

Try getting some to turn the car lock to lock while you are outside listening (on both sides) to see if you can pin-point how high or low the sound is coming from. Power steering and rack are low down, top mounts are up high...

Would be interested at what you find!

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I can see by the date this topic is quite old, but I have the same problem with my 2010 RX450h, and it has been diagnosed as the front suspension strut bearing . At first it was only apparent on the near side but now it is noticeable on the off side. I have the car booked in to have them both replaced in May, I know the part / parts are expensive possibly over £700 each + time so deep breath and pay up.

I just feel that a car of this age and build quality should not have needed this type of work and would like the people at Lexus to comment, anyone know how to  talk to them ?

Cheers

Keith

10 minutes ago, Keith D said:

I can see by the date this topic is quite old, but I have the same problem with my 2010 RX450h, and it has been diagnosed as the front suspension strut bearing . At first it was only apparent on the near side but now it is noticeable on the off side. I have the car booked in to have them both replaced in May, I know the part / parts are expensive possibly over £700 each + time so deep breath and pay up.

I just feel that a car of this age and build quality should not have needed this type of work and would like the people at Lexus to comment, anyone know how to  talk to them ?

Cheers

Keith

Top suspension mounts i.e. strut bearings.

Normal wear and tear on an 8-9 year old car. 

Part should be relatively cheap, i can't imagine it being more than £100 each at dealer prices. What they trying to do, sell you the whole suspension unit?!

Indie quoted me £100 parts and labour on a MK5 Golf. I suspect dealer would be more expensive but hey, nowhere near £700 each!

What are they replacing the whole front suspension?

We replaced the daughters Mito upper bearings late last year in about an hour and a half, they cost £25 for a pair.

Squirt them with some WD40, if the noise abates you’ve confirmed the issue, but £700, they’re taking the proverbial.

Thanks for your comments, but Lexus dealer did identify the issue and yes its to replace the complete strut as the bearing that is causing the knocking sound is not removable.

22 hours ago, Keith D said:

Thanks for your comments, but Lexus dealer did identify the issue and yes its to replace the complete strut as the bearing that is causing the knocking sound is not removable.

Urm pretty sure its removable - look at second diagram

https://parts.lexusofkendall.com/oem-parts/lexus-strut-4851080635

Thanks Rayaans,

I do hope you are right it would save a fortune. Whoever both Lexus Carlisle and a very trusted independent garage seem to suggest that the whole strut needs replacing.  My very trusted independent garage did offer to strip down the strut and re grease the bearing and they did,and for 6 months or so it improved by say 90%. But now both front struts are making the grinding noise when slow maneuvering.

I have passed on the information you sent me and will let you know.

Keith.

23 hours ago, rayaans said:

7 hours ago, Keith D said:

Thanks Rayaans,

I do hope you are right it would save a fortune. Whoever both Lexus Carlisle and a very trusted independent garage seem to suggest that the whole strut needs replacing.  My very trusted independent garage did offer to strip down the strut and re grease the bearing and they did,and for 6 months or so it improved by say 90%. But now both front struts are making the grinding noise when slow maneuvering.

Keith.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRONT-TOP-SHOCK-ABSORBER-STRUT-MOUNT-BEARING-For-LEXUS-RX270-RX350-RX450H-08-/252734089227

Used to make a strut mount with bearing for the RX450h although its no longer available now. Surely they must be changeable then. And they're perishing items so I wouldn't imagine you need to change the whole suspension unit just for 1 disposable part.

• 2 weeks later...

This noise is getting worse. It's now happening as soon as the steering wheel is turned in either direction at low speed.

I've owned numerous Lexus models over the years, but I think I'm done with them now.

These types of issues should not be occurring on premium vehicles such as these.

13 hours ago, w3andw4d said:

This noise is getting worse. It's now happening as soon as the steering wheel is turned in either direction at low speed.

I've owned numerous Lexus models over the years, but I think I'm done with them now.

These types of issues should not be occurring on premium vehicles such as these.

Thats a pathetic way to look at things. If you don't want issues, buy a new car with a warranty, simple as.

You've bought a car that's reaching almost 10 years old. What did you expect? These things are bulletproof but still have wear and tear components like top suspension mounts, bushings etc

• Like 2

Thanks Rayaans,

Keith.

On 4/28/2018 at 11:53 AM, rayaans said:

Thanks again for the link, it propted my trusted "Non Lexus" garage to investigate. they have the car "2010 450h 69000 miles" in the garage  and rang me to say that the top bearing on removal had just about totally collapsed, and showed me the black and very rusty ball bearings that fell out.   So deep breath .... please replace both, slight pause and then the cost of each strut £680 + Vat and fitting. 

Another phone call 20 mins later " I have found a company that will supply the top bearings at approx £200 each, should I  order them" Guess what my reply was ?.

I will keep you informed.

Keith.

2 hours ago, Keith D said:

Thanks again for the link, it propted my trusted "Non Lexus" garage to investigate. they have the car "2010 450h 69000 miles" in the garage  and rang me to say that the top bearing on removal had just about totally collapsed, and showed me the black and very rusty ball bearings that fell out.   So deep breath .... please replace both, slight pause and then the cost of each strut £680 + Vat and fitting. 

Another phone call 20 mins later " I have found a company that will supply the top bearings at approx £200 each, should I  order them" Guess what my reply was ?.

Keith.

Even that is expensive

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-TOYOTA-LEXUS-FRONT-STRUT-TOP-BEARING-OEM-90903-63014-/321667335074

or third party even cheaper:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3089091&cc=1444314&jsn=337

10 hours ago, rayaans said:

Thats a pathetic way to look at things. If you don't want issues, buy a new car with a warranty, simple as.

You've bought a car that's reaching almost 10 years old. What did you expect? These things are bulletproof but still have wear and tear components like top suspension mounts, bushings etc

Point taken on your first sentence, indeed my OH's CT is just that.

However, I personally wouldn't consider a car with 44,000 verified miles when I bought it, as being a wear and tear issue.

12 minutes ago, w3andw4d said:

However, I personally wouldn't consider a car with 44,000 verified miles when I bought it, as being a wear and tear issue.

Parts age, even when not used. Unless it's been kept in a heated garage all its life there's also rust and weathering issues to be expected on an almost 10 year old car, even if it has only done 44,000 miles.

15 hours ago, w3andw4d said:

Point taken on your first sentence, indeed my OH's CT is just that.

Its not the mileage im concerned about. Its the age of the vehicle. Bearings, rubber components etc still get old and damaged regardless of their use. 

Sometimes its actually more common for these things to happen on vehicles which aren't used very often compared to cars which do more miles.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2018 at 6:09 PM, Keith D said:

Keith.

Update to strut top bearings, Got the car back today 24th May, both top bearings replaced £199 + VAT each + Fitting + VAT + Oil & Filter change. Total £879.90.

I do not  feel in any way ripped of in fact a massive saving from the quote from Lexus of £2500 +

The car is now as it should be and I hope to get many more miles and years out of this superb car.

Keith.

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

Hello Keith,  later still on the same subject.  We have a 59 reg 450RH and Lexus are quoting £1200 per side in VAT.

So was yours a hybrid?

Who did the work?

where did the parts come from?

any help appreciated

rob

I had this problem with my 60 plate 450H RX, fortunately i had a main dealer warrenty which covered the problem.

However there is a place in Cheltenham/Gloucester (see you tube/Facebook) which will replace the bearings for a much better price.

I believe that you can either remove the top plate yourself and send them or book the car in for the day and I think he has a courtesey car available to explore the local area while your car is being fixed.

• Like 2