Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is The Ml Audio Worth The Extra?

So I'm thinking of getting an NX. As stated in another forum, I'm disappoint that the F-Sport can not have the option of the ML as the F-Sport looks nicer.

So has anyone tested both, is the ML worth the extra cost?

I currently have an 9 year old IS250 with ML in and it still makes my smile. It is excellent sound quality and I really enjoy it with the DSP on and it just give the music another dimension.

Thanks

Chris

I meant ML in the title

Edited by Chris67

Hey hey hold your horses buddy!!

The NX F sport is now available with ML since October!!!

But yes, I'd say it's worth the extra £1k. It sounds great when you tune it right in the settings and you can literally hear the clari fi working. I had a back to back test and it is a good system

• Like 1

First of all, a motor vehicle is a very difficult (impossible) environment to get HiFi sound.

Up until a month ago, I had a IS250 SE-L with ML system. I now have a IS250C SE-L without the ML system.

I don't detect a difference to be honest. The ML had 14 speakers I think and my present kit has 11 I believe. I wouldn't pay extra for the ML system over my one.

I have read dissatisfaction from recent IS300h owners who have the basic stereo with just 6 speakers I understand, so beware of that.

To put this into context, I'm a music nut with a HiFi in a dedicated listening room at home.

Personally, I treat music in the car as accompaniment, not for serious listening. I'd probably find the 6 speaker set up acceptable as a purveyor of sound while I concentrate on the act of driving safely.

Fair point Steve - I think I can say that, as a musician, and a serious hifi nut, cars are not the most ideal environments for listening to music - too much background noise and road rumble to give that nth degree of musical satisfaction - whilst a really good car system can sound pretty amazing, unless you're sat still, the overall experience will be far less involving than even a moderately inexpensive hifi system in a well damped room. If I was spending £1K extra on a sound system, I'd rather be paying that for something in my house that would sound pretty awesome rather than a compromise, and, to be honest, a rideculous mark up on a few speakers and a smart amplifier. But its chaque a son gout as they say in France.....

Hey hey hold your horses buddy!!

The NX F sport is now available with ML since October!!!

But yes, I'd say it's worth the extra £1k. It sounds great when you tune it right in the settings and you can literally hear the clari fi working. I had a back to back test and it is a good system

Thanks I hadn't realised that.

First of all, a motor vehicle is a very difficult (impossible) environment to get HiFi sound.

Up until a month ago, I had a IS250 SE-L with ML system. I now have a IS250C SE-L without the ML system.

I don't detect a difference to be honest. The ML had 14 speakers I think and my present kit has 11 I believe. I wouldn't pay extra for the ML system over my one.

I have read dissatisfaction from recent IS300h owners who have the basic stereo with just 6 speakers I understand, so beware of that.

To put this into context, I'm a music nut with a HiFi in a dedicated listening room at home.

Personally, I treat music in the car as accompaniment, not for serious listening. I'd probably find the 6 speaker set up acceptable as a purveyor of sound while I concentrate on the act of driving safely.

Fair point Steve - I think I can say that, as a musician, and a serious hifi nut, cars are not the most ideal environments for listening to music - too much background noise and road rumble to give that nth degree of musical satisfaction - whilst a really good car system can sound pretty amazing, unless you're sat still, the overall experience will be far less involving than even a moderately inexpensive hifi system in a well damped room. If I was spending £1K extra on a sound system, I'd rather be paying that for something in my house that would sound pretty awesome rather than a compromise, and, to be honest, a rideculous mark up on a few speakers and a smart amplifier. But its chaque a son gout as they say in France.....

I guess I'll just have to hear the two systems. I haven't a dedicated room and I'm not a hifi nut, but I do enjoy good quality sound and the open sound that the ML DSP provides, I think just using DSP shows I'm not a true music buff.

But the sound my ML makes compared to my mates Bose in his Renault or my wife's shockingly bad sound in her 14 plate RAV4 icon is fab. The bass is tight and not overwhelming. I will admit to sitting in my car stationary to enjoy certain tracks as its just sounds great.

Thanks for your feedback, guess I'd better take a trip over Christmas to check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you able to ask your dealer to test two cars back to back, one with the ML system one without? You would need to test them with the same CD...

When I changed from a RX400h with ML system to a RX450h, I wanted the ML system also. However, I test drove a 450h without the ML system and found it to be far superior to the ML system in the 400h.

I appreciate that the RX and NX are different cars etc, but depending what car you are coming from, you may find that the standard audio in the NX is simply good enough.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links