Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fines/points Increase? Good.....!

milleplod

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/15/driving-texting-mobile-phone-double-penalty

Whilst appreciating that there's barely anyone out there to enforce the legislation anyway, its about time car-driving mobile users were hammered into non-existence. I'd go for instant, roadside bans of, say, a month, should you be caught 'using' at the wheel. That should act as a tremendous deterrent! :tsktsk:

Pete

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/15/driving-texting-mobile-phone-double-penalty

Whilst appreciating that there's barely anyone out there to enforce the legislation anyway, its about time car-driving mobile users were hammered into non-existence. I'd go for instant, roadside bans of, say, a month, should you be caught 'using' at the wheel. That should act as a tremendous deterrent! :tsktsk:

Pete

So, if there's nobody to enforce it "live", as it were, let's use cameras to catch them.

The ones that really chill my blood are the HGV drivers who weave into and out of the hard shoulder area as you come up behind them.

If I'm in my motorhome, it's possible to see what they've been up to as you pass them.....paperwork being filled in on their lap, tv screens on, laptop computers, and of course, the dreaded phones........it's hard to imagine anything more irresponsible, when you consider the possible carnage.

I'd also prosecute lane hoggers using camera evidence, which, in my opinion, would make a massive difference to congestion.

The proposals include the mention of 6 points for HGV drivers caught, rather than 4 for car drivers. I quite agree that HGV drivers should be hit harder. While I'm out and about on my motorbike, sitting nice and high up, its frightening how many drivers I see fiddling with their mobiles. The really annoying thing is that nothing they're doing will be in the slightest bit important, it'll be inane nonsense!

I take great delight whilst filtering in giving such idiots a very special hand gesture......

Pete

I totally agree that these morons should be subjected to higher penalties. Replace Highways patrols with Police patrols would help and cost about the same.

With your background Pete I am really surprised at your comment on hand signal. Apart from the fact that they probably wouldn't notice it if they are busy doing other things. It might be safer to keep your hands on the handlebars and concentrate on your own riding instead of adopting futile and rather silly handsignals.

I totally agree that these morons should be subjected to higher penalties. Replace Highways patrols with Police patrols would help and cost about the same.

With your background Pete I am really surprised at your comment on hand signal. Apart from the fact that they probably wouldn't notice it if they are busy doing other things. It might be safer to keep your hands on the handlebars and concentrate on your own riding instead of adopting futile and rather silly handsignals.

After 30-odd years of 'background' I do feel entitled these days to sometimes revert to a somewhat more heartfelt approach! And believe me, most of them do notice. :D

And, after rather a long time riding for a living, sometimes at high speeds, mostly on far-from-empty roads, I'm very well practiced in multi-tasking whilst riding - radios didn't answer themselves, VASCAR didn't operate itself, that sort of thing - and my skill set is still there, so the odd, well-deserved hand gesture (after a risk assessment, of course....), is nothing for anyone else to be concerned about! Thanks for the advice though. :winky:

Pete

From the list of things you had to operate it would seem that you would also be perfectly capable of using a phone whilst driving if you wanted to. I would think that there are many motorists who feel just as confident as you appear to but in spite of your fantastic abilities and your instant risk assessments it is still a potentially dangerous thing to turn and look at vehicles whilst riding with one hand as you give your handsignal to them. If you were a policeman on patrol and saw a motorcyclist doing that I feel certain that you would pull them in. Other people should be concerned in spite of the fact that you say they shouldn't.

From the list of things you had to operate it would seem that you would also be perfectly capable of using a phone whilst driving if you wanted to. I would think that there are many motorists who feel just as confident as you appear to but in spite of your fantastic abilities and your instant risk assessments it is still a potentially dangerous thing to turn and look at vehicles whilst riding with one hand as you give your handsignal to them. If you were a policeman on patrol and saw a motorcyclist doing that I feel certain that you would pull them in. Other people should be concerned in spite of the fact that you say they shouldn't.

I don't recall mentioning turning and looking....just the hand gesture! :D

My 'fantastic abilities' were hammered into me during what is probably the most intense on-road riding course available anywhere. I'm not perfect when driving or riding, far from it, but I can, and do, still apply the skills I learnt. 'Instant risk assessments'? Yep, all the time - doing warp factor 10 on public roads necessitated that particular skill, and I apply what I learnt every single time I ride or drive. Anyway, the odd gesture to deserving idiots lets them know what other motorists think. :winky:

If I were still in the job and saw a motorist gesticulating (safely!) at another motorist using a mobile, which one do you think would get a pull?! :rolleyes:

Pete

I don't recall mentioning turning and looking....just the hand gesture! :D

Pete

Err...If you don't turn and look how can you be so certain that they do notice...as you stated here?

"And believe me, most of them do notice. :D" ( from your post # 6).

Picture this......cager sat in his/her car, stationary or crawling along, mobile glued to their ear. Bloody great BMW bike trickles past to the right, size 11 left hand gracefully caressing their driver's door window whilst .....gesticulating, all of 8" from their face. They notice, I'm sure. :D Tbh, I couldn't really care less whether they do or don't, it makes me feel better. :winky:

Pete

Picture this......cager sat in his/her car, stationary or crawling along, mobile glued to their ear. Bloody great BMW bike trickles past to the right, size 11 left hand gracefully caressing their driver's door window whilst .....gesticulating, all of 8" from their face. They notice, I'm sure. :D Tbh, I couldn't really care less whether they do or don't, it makes me feel better. :winky:

Pete

Whilst they are being stupid as well as breaking the law you are acting like an idiot doing that, all you are likely to be doing is enraging them and helping to enforce bad feelings towards motorcyclists in general. Maybe you miss the "power" that you had whilst in uniform? BTW if you are caressing their window you are too close to the car and could contribute to causing a collision one day.

Dave