Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Kerbed The Wheels...

F@#! just kerbed the os front alloy.......in the dark. Was messing around with display settings and did not realise the car was so close to the kerb!!!!! And is was dark as well

Any recommendations for repairs?

there are loads around you i have just found some online for you

i've never dealt with any of the companies below so i am not endorsing any of them

i would expect to pay around £100 for 1 alloy

Alloy Wheel Repair 020 3411 7823

Whoops Wheel Fix It 41 Davenant Rd · 020 7060 3666

www.premierwheelrepairs.com/

www.diamondalloys.co.uk/

www.fawheels.co.uk

www.justwheelrepair.co.uk/

No colour code so be prepared to do both on one side to match. The repair will be close enough to not be able to tell from side to side but not close enough that you can just do one.

I've used Nigel Aldridge, contact details below

http://www.alloywheeldoctor.com/

Recommended by the Lexus tyre and wheel insurance. Superb result on my F Sports. Over the course of 2 years he did about 6 refurbs. The wheel/s are taken away, it's not a roadside job if you want it done properly IMO.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

F@#! just kerbed the os front alloy.......in the dark. Was messing around with display settings and did not realise the car was so close to the kerb!!!!! And is was dark as well

Any recommendations for repairs?

You aren't alone! I curbed my offside rear wheel last night parallel parking, a tiny 5p chunk taken off the wheel. I took out the alloy wheel insurance as the colour looks a difficult thing to match and after a reading a few of the threads on this forum thought I would be for the best.

I thought I would be OK with having 18" wheels on the car! I had 20" wheels on the jag I had before and in the three years I had it not once did I kerb a wheel.

For some reason the IS is easy to kerb, partly the low profiles I expect. Touching wood frantically my NX wheels are still perfect [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only way you'd kerb the NX wheel is by hitting a kerb whilst driving parallel to it. Mounting curbs isn't an issue as it has large 65 profiles.

IS wheels are still intact. I park a foot away from the kerb on all occasions in it lol

The tyres on my 3rd gen IS250 have a protruding lip that presumably is supposed to reduce the risk of curbing - it is certainly less than was the case with my 1st gen IS20 which had "normal" tyres. However, "reduce" is not the same as "eliminate" , as I have discovered to my cost. I have found that wheel reburbishment companies can do an excellent job at around £75 to £100 per wheel. Personally, any slight, and it is slight, colour mismatch is not worth worrying about. However, I am the World's worst parker and, even when I lived in the USA where parking slots are about 20 feet apart, I needed a run up of at least a 100 yards to get between the lines, so curbing is an ever-present risk for me.

Well hopefully they have longer legs than a foot!!

I was taught that you should always park a foot from the kerb unless the road is narrow at which point you should mount the kerb but not enough to obstruct prams etc

I find that not parking a foot from the kerb also reduced the risk of keying

I once had a brand new LS 460 Courtesy Car that I used to holiday in Italy. One day we drove to Trento near the Austrian Border & the only car park in the mountain-top town was a large underground car park underneath the Bus Terminal that had a large entrance that narrowed considerably after the first L/hand corner.

I damaged all 4 wheels down the spiralling entrance & further damaged the wheels when I exited the Park.

I was gutted.

Tel

I once had a brand new LS 460 Courtesy Car that I used to holiday in Italy. One day we drove to Trento near the Austrian Border & the only car park in the mountain-top town was a large underground car park underneath the Bus Terminal that had a large entrance that narrowed considerably after the first L/hand corner.

I damaged all 4 wheels down the spiralling entrance & further damaged the wheels when I exited the Park.

I was gutted.

Tel

Ouch! Did you have to pay for the damage?

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Nope, As Lexus were replacing my new car they thanked me for reporting the damage & the car was returned to them with 4.5k miles on the clock.

The LS was beautifully built ,went like a rocket & averaged 28.5 mpg over the 6 weeks I

Perfect.

Tel

Nope, As Lexus were replacing my new car they thanked me for reporting the damage & the car was returned to them with 4.5k miles on the clock.

The LS was beautifully built ,went like a rocket & averaged 28.5 mpg over the 6 weeks I

Perfect.

Tel

Although well built I do think the LS is well out of date now. It's switchgear is somewhat ancient

These look very good and well worth consideration. Has anyone put them on and then 'kerbed' them, how much of a hit can they take before it becomes necessary to replace?

You don't want those! They look awful and alter the bead of the tyre.

They deflate the tyre, stick these in and then re inflate. A few people on other forums have had trouble with them as they ruin the ability of the tyre to hold tight onto the rim and result in sudden and spontaneous deflation. Risky business in my eyes

You don't want those! They look awful and alter the bead of the tyre.

They deflate the tyre, stick these in and then re inflate. A few people on other forums have had trouble with them as they ruin the ability of the tyre to hold tight onto the rim and result in sudden and spontaneous deflation. Risky business in my eyes

How exactly do these alter the bead of the tyre ? Do you actually know how a tyre is constructed?

For your education....

helpTireConstruction3.gif

Unless you actually remove the tyre to fit these, and looking at the reviews and description you obviously don't, then there is no way that you can alter the bead of the tyre.

These obviously just stick onto the edge of the rim so won't change the construction or performance of the tyre at all.

Are you being daft on purpose? Sticking these onto the edge of the tyre will simply cause them to fling off, hit someone in the head, another car or fly off into the distance

The tyre is deflated, these are then put between the bead and the rim to ensure they don't fall off at high speed. Therefore the bead doesn't actually touch the rim

Probably worth educating yourself on how these are fitted....

Hence.... for YOUR education:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=88jsl77WBSc

there are obviously different types of rim blades available

i have found 2 youtube videos and these blades fix in a

slightly different manner as the tyre is left inflated during installation.

Are you being daft on purpose? Sticking these onto the edge of the tyre will simply cause them to fling off, hit someone in the head, another car or fly off into the distance

The tyre is deflated, these are then put between the bead and the rim to ensure they don't fall off at high speed. Therefore the bead doesn't actually touch the rim

Probably worth educating yourself on how these are fitted....

Hence.... for YOUR education:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=88jsl77WBSc

It looks like you need some education on how to research products, use Youtube to find the right product, not jump to conclusions based on your recollection of a similar product and more importantly read more accurately peoples posts.

It kind of gives it away in the Youtube video when the guy starts talking with an American accent.

So for a more accurate video of how these are attached see 200h's post or this YouTube video:

Want to tell me at what point was the tyre deflated ?

:yack:

Those rimblades aren't going to work. Your essentially sticking a rubber tape around the rim which, on seriously low profile tyres is not going to protect anything but 1cm around the wheel

The alloygator ones serve their function as they stick out atleast 1cm rather than the 0.2cm from the wheel in which case the standard IS tyres will fare better

BTW take a look at those wheels, they have a vertical lip!! The IS doesn't have a vertical lip so it's not going to stick out properly

Also take a look at the tyre on the Fiat, it sticks out as much as the rim protector does so I can't see how it's help much.

I've tried alligators on my old 335i. They are a hard to fit, and I ended up taking them off simply because I didn't fancy the idea of a 50cm piece of plastic flying off the wheel at 70mph+, or when involved in any minor knock involving the wheel.

If people want them PM me, they are black, cut it fit 19inch wheels, cost me £100 or something but people can have them for £25 if you come and collect.

I kerbed the nsf wheel on my Merc a few months before the lease ran out, and I didn't want to pay £££ for a refurb, just to kerb it again, so I spent £12 on a diy "refurb" kit, car model specific, via eBay.

It contained small pieces of 4 grades of wet and dry paper, a filler paint, a colour paint, and a lacquer. I had read not to use the brushes inside the bottles of paint, but to use a decent artist's brush.

I took care over the repair, and while I could see it, no one else, including the two lease company inspectors, if they noticed, said a word.

So, particularly if I knew I wasn't keeping the car for ever, I'd try this first, before shelling out on professional refurb

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links