Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Handling / Steering

RHD

Just started driving a 1991 LS400. All original with no mods. 100k.

It is really soft and bouncy (more so than I was expecting having not driven one for a long time). I am presuming that the shocks have given their best as it's at its worst at speed (wanders about) particularly with more than one passenger.

In any event, what do you reccommend? STandard shocks, MK2 standard shocks, or one of the various aftermarket offerings?

Budget is seriously tight but have got to sort out handling before I'm sick!

Also not helped by slight slack in steering column. Reckon it's the last UJ inside (under the rubber cover). Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

The "wandering about" could be because of bad shocks, but then only on bouncy roads. Tyres and/or alignment problems are usually the culprit when he car wanders about on smooth roads.

Have you tried the DIY test of pushing a corner of the vehicle down and releasing it? It Should only move up, and down again once if the shocks are good. 3 or more bounces would definately mean bad schock absorbers.

Or else have them tested (ususlly free) at a tyre fitter. They might be inclined to talk you into new shocks anyway, though.

About the steering column, I don't know about the LS, but there also might be a rubber connecting the column rods, which may have gone stale and cracked on older vehicles. Maybe you can track the source of the slack by having a mate wiggle the steering wheel while you look under the car.

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

• 4 weeks later...
Or else have them tested (ususlly free) at a tyre fitter. They might be inclined to talk you into new shocks anyway, though.

according to my local MOT test station, there is no reliable testing equipment for shock absorbers. if there was one, they'd include it in the MOT.

i had all four wheels aligned and the camber and caster adjusted as well, and on both rear wheels the camber was wrong by one degree. this is half a degree outside the tolerance figure.

the car was much more stable on the straight and also rolled easier, so the incorrect toe-in on the front must have been causing scuffing drag.

cost me £54 plus VAT at non-franchise garage.

What is the condition of your front tyres? Have they worn evenly? What kind of roads does it wander on? All, or just particular surfaces?

How bouncy is the car? Is it from the front or the rear mainly? If front, check your upper control arms. Replacing those can make a big difference to keeping the front from bobbing up and down.

If it's the rear, does the car skip like a kangaroo when going round a bend and you hit a bump in the road? If so, might be the bushes in the rear axle carriers. Best take it for a suspension check up before you spend money on new shocks. The shocks on the original cars do seem to last a very long time.

If you do have to buy new shocks, still with original Lexus ones.

Also, you may benefit from a full geometry check on all wheels if one hasn't been done for a while.

There is always some slack in the steering column. These cars are designed with little feel around the dead centre position.

Just started driving a 1991 LS400. All original with no mods. 100k.

It is really soft and bouncy (more so than I was expecting having not driven one for a long time). I am presuming that the shocks have given their best as it's at its worst at speed (wanders about) particularly with more than one passenger.

In any event, what do you reccommend? STandard shocks, MK2 standard shocks, or one of the various aftermarket offerings?

Budget is seriously tight but have got to sort out handling before I'm sick!

Also not helped by slight slack in steering column. Reckon it's the last UJ inside (under the rubber cover). Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

The wander may be due to the camber of the road. I take it you know the difference.

This IS a big and bouncy car.

Wouldn't slack in the steering column show up on an MOT?

Thank you all for suggestions.

I will try the alignment fisrt as front nearside has scuffed the outer edge recently.

Also slack in steering appears to be two-fold:

Last universal joint before exiting bulkhead knocks unless you support it by hand - not very practical while driving!

And having got underneath and watched shaft being gently shaken it appears that the actual slack is inside he rack (after the small rubber boot). Equal amount in any wheel position which I guess suggests that there is another joint before the actual rack inside.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I've got a Hong Kong imported Lexus LS 400. The ride is a big disappointment. Hard and nobly. Nothing like I expected. As it is a Jag is very much better. I have a feeling that it cannot be original. I am getting new shocks from www.buypartsby.co.uk. Original KYB as per Lexus £39.74 + vat each. I want to get road springs aswell but that is proving more difficult.

Thanks again.

I think a complete geometry check (preliminary check showed front and rear out - front now okay but rear not). I'll go to Toyota for that. Then I think first UJ on steering column before it exits through the bulkhead - that knocks. Then discover what the small amount of play (at any steering position) is caused by in the rack. Then new shocks, then springs, then tyres, then give up!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links