Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

98 Ls400 Drivers Side Rear Window Replacement

Hello,

Some absolute crack head smashed my drivers side rear window in the summer, caused a right mess. I've had it under a tarp since then but have now had the time to sort it out. I managed to get a replacement window from eBay, but have no real idea how to fit it.

Does anyone have any diagrams or pictures that can help? I've managed to get this 99% done but I'm not happy with it. I think it needs to be done in a specific way (ie bolt1 first, bolt3 second, etc)

Also, does anyone have a picture of a door with the card off so I can check bolt locations/types, etc?

Looking to get my baby back on the road ASAP (I've had a company 65 plate Ford Fiesta - not bad but not a patch on the Lexus). It will need an MOT - so before then I'm looking at 4 new tyres (17" DHP), alloy wheel refurb - any ideas?

Regards,

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Steve. So I took the LS for an MOT yesterday:
Test date: 8 January 2016
Test Result: Fail
Odometer reading: 73,643 miles
MOT test number: 2158 6785 1504
Reason(s) for failure:

nearside front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
offside front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
offside front Headlamp aim too high (1.8)
offside front Wheel nut(s) missing (4.2.A.1e)
offside rear Wheel nut(s) missing (4.2.A.1e)
nearside front Wheel nut(s) missing (4.2.A.1e)
offside front coil spring broken (2.4.C.1a)
offside rear rear parking (secondary) brake grabbing severely (3.7.B.6b)
Advisory notice item(s):

nearside rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive inner sill (2.4.A.3)
offside rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive inner sill (2.4.A.3)
vehicle suspension heavily corroded front & rear
nearside rear upper Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened corroded/weak (2.4.G.1)
offside rear upper Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened corroded/weak (2.4.G.1)
nearside rear coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)
offside rear coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)
Front brake pads not visable
offside rear upper Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
nearside rear Brake pipe slightly corroded to hose (3.6.B.2c)
nearside rear brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
Not good eh? The wheel nuts I knew about as I had the tyres replaced before the MOT (KUMHO HS51 235/55/17 from OPONEO.co.uk) - the locking wheel nuts all broke on the way out. Have sourced some temporary from the scrap yard (cost £1 each). Anyone got any OEM wheel nuts?
So the suspension is pretty screwed. I've found complete strut assemblies on amazon in the US -
Total cost with shipping to the UK: £370. Not too bad, I wonder how much duty I'll end up paying? Makes sense to do it all now and doesn't seem worth just replacing a coil spring (tricky and dangerous job to do anyway).
Anyone have recommendations for wiper blades? The headlight aim I'm assuming is a result of the snapped coil spring so I'm not worried about that.
Finally, regarding the other advisory notices, any advice? I'm spending $$ now to secure this car's future as it's been sat for a year - aside from what you see above, the car is beautiful inside and out (one dent and a couple scratches - will sort that too) - also, check the mileage!
Any help appreciated :)

​Regards,
Tim

The headlight alignment problem could be a broken height sensor rod on the rear suspension but surprised your seemingly over zealous MOT tester didn't spot it, if it does need one let me know and I'll make you one.

How did he know the wheel nuts were missing if the hub caps were fitted?

I have some OEM wheel nuts,which type do you need or send me a picture.

The headlight alignment problem could be a broken height sensor rod on the rear suspension but surprised your seemingly over zealous MOT tester didn't spot it, if it does need one let me know and I'll make you one.

How did he know the wheel nuts were missing if the hub caps were fitted?

I have some OEM wheel nuts,which type do you need or send me a picture.

DHP car I think Steve, so those 17" wheels with no centre caps?

As to that mot, was he trying out a new pen?

I don't like all this advisory business, it can't be right that one car gets no advisories, but another identical car gets nonsense like "couldn't inspect because engine undertray fitted", or "brake pads not visible"

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just get all the rusty bits wire brushed up when the new strut assemblies are fitted and we'll see how bad things really are.

Steve, I've uploaded a photo of the wheel, hopefully you can make out the wheel nut type? I think they are 21mm. I might need more than 3 as some are odd, I'll get back to you.

Also, are you sure the headlight aim is related to the sensor and not just because the spring on the O/S is snapped and thus a lot lower? Can you show me the location of the sensor so I can check?

Is it worth replacing the UCAs (source anyone?) and any other suspension parts while I'm at it?

Regards,

Tim

post-48538-0-02531600-1452421011_thumb.j

... wiper blade rubbers from Toyota/Lexus might be your best source !

The rust stuff is probably total nonsense, it's just brownish surface colouring and no rust at all I bet

Malc

Do you mean these, Malc? :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Lexus-Rubber-Wiper-Blade-Right-Hand-LS400-02-95-Onwards-8521450050-/252029782420?fits=Cars+Year%3A1998%7CModel%3ALS&hash=item3aae254994

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Lexus-Rubber-Wiper-Blade-Left-Hand-LS400-08-98-Onwards-8521450090-/261936653356?fits=Cars+Year%3A1998%7CModel%3ALS&hash=item3cfca4242c

Will I need to check that the OEM wiper assemblies are still there and haven't been replaced with aftermarket blade types before hand? Any pictures for guidance?

Regards,

Tim

those prices look just about the price one might pay at a Toyota/Lexus parts depot at a showroom, so why not just go there and get them ! you will then KNOW that they have been supplied for your car properly ( I would hope ! )

Malc

Thanks Steve. So I took the LS for an MOT yesterday:
Test date: 8 January 2016

Test Result: Fail

Odometer reading: 73,643 miles

MOT test number: 2158 6785 1504

Reason(s) for failure:

nearside front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)

offside front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
offside front Headlamp aim too high (1.8)
offside front Wheel nut(s) missing (4.2.A.1e)
offside rear Wheel nut(s) missing (4.2.A.1e)
nearside front Wheel nut(s) missing (4.2.A.1e)
offside front coil spring broken (2.4.C.1a)
offside rear rear parking (secondary) brake grabbing severely (3.7.B.6b)
Advisory notice item(s):

nearside rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive inner sill (2.4.A.3)

offside rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive inner sill (2.4.A.3)
vehicle suspension heavily corroded front & rear
nearside rear upper Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened corroded/weak (2.4.G.1)
offside rear upper Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened corroded/weak (2.4.G.1)
nearside rear coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)
offside rear coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)
Front brake pads not visable
offside rear upper Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
nearside rear Brake pipe slightly corroded to hose (3.6.B.2c)
nearside rear brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
Not good eh? The wheel nuts I knew about as I had the tyres replaced before the MOT (KUMHO HS51 235/55/17 from OPONEO.co.uk) - the locking wheel nuts all broke on the way out. Have sourced some temporary from the scrap yard (cost £1 each). Anyone got any OEM wheel nuts?
So the suspension is pretty screwed. I've found complete strut assemblies on Amazon in the US -
Total cost with shipping to the UK: £370. Not too bad, I wonder how much duty I'll end up paying? Makes sense to do it all now and doesn't seem worth just replacing a coil spring (tricky and dangerous job to do anyway).
Anyone have recommendations for wiper blades? The headlight aim I'm assuming is a result of the snapped coil spring so I'm not worried about that.
Finally, regarding the other advisory notices, any advice? I'm spending $$ now to secure this car's future as it's been sat for a year - aside from what you see above, the car is beautiful inside and out (one dent and a couple scratches - will sort that too) - also, check the mileage!
Any help appreciated :)

​Regards,

Tim

Crikey hurts my eyes just looking at the list. Had you upset the MOT guy? Good luck with it all. Mike.

This link shows the height sensor rod position on the rear offside.

http://www.evansweb.info/2009/11/23/ls400-ride-height-sensor-repair/

The wheel nuts are the chromed dome type ones, I have a box full so send me a pm with address details and I'll post you some for the price of the postage.

Tim, If you do ever get around to doing any rust-proofing, Bilt Hamber's DYNAX is brilliant stuff. Independent tests show it's better than Waxoyl and easier to apply to those hard to reach areas. It comes in 2 sorts of large high pressure aerosol cans, both with long delivery tubing. There's one type for metal surfaces and one for bodywork cavities. It's good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this one, I went on a bit of a spending spree and bought:

2 x Front Upper Control Arms ( link )

2 x Front Lower Control Arm Ball Joints ( link )

2 x Front Drop Links ( link )

2 x Rear Drop Links ( link )

4 x "Unity" strut assembly ( link link )

Haven't gotten round to checking the height rod yet, Steve - I'll do that soon.

Can't find any Rear Upper Control arms - seems no aftermarket exist, and Amayama have no genuine parts - eBay do but they're in the US and very pricey - any ideas? Part numbers:

Toyota 4879059025 ARM, SUSPENSION (BJ JP) - 79.22 GBP, 1 items
Toyota 4877059025 ARM, SUSPENSION (BJ JP) - 79.22 GBP, 1 items

What else should I be looking at replacing at the same time?

Anyone got any advice on dealing with the corrosion (ie, removing, best tools, chemicals, etc) - before I look at protection? (DYNAX sounds interesting)

Lastly, does anyone have a list of service items (with recommendations?) as I'll be doing a full service when all the other work is done. (Oil/filters/plugs/etc)

Regards,

Tim

It was the one that came from Bilmac in Ireland - maybe it lived next to the sea for a bit?

Interesting, although it's on a 2000 plate, and the date of first use shows 2000, the VIN puts it as a '98 car.

Regards,

Tim

Tim, just to let you know what some owners have done; on my mk4 (2000), I've had both steering rack bushes replaced (easy & cheap) plus new front anti-roll bar bushes, (cheaper & even easier). I've also had the two rubber liquid-filled engine mounts replaced (a bit of an awkward and more expensive job that one) and the Tranny mount replaced (another cheapish, easy job). All made a noticeable difference to restoring the cars' smooth operation.

It was the one that came from Bilmac in Ireland - maybe it lived next to the sea for a bit?

Interesting, although it's on a 2000 plate, and the date of first use shows 2000, the VIN puts it as a '98 car.

Regards,

Tim

I thought it was only British Leyland that stored their unsold cars in a field for 2 years :)

Tim, here are some part numbers for you; Engine mounts, (LH & RH) 12361-50100 (both).  Tranny mount, (one) 12371-50060.  Steering Rack bushes, 45516 and 45517 (LH & RH).  Anti-roll Bar bushes (LH & RH) 48815 (both).   The sites I went to are Lexus of South Atlantic Parts and ToyoDIY.  Between them, they have loads of handy diagrams and part numbers. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2016 at 9:29 PM, steve2006 said:

The car has now passed its MOT, yay! However, Steve, you were right, the height sensor rod has rusted and snapped. Any chance I could take you up on that offer of a new one?

Regards,

4 hours ago, fred81 said:

The car has now passed its MOT, yay! However, Steve, you were right, the height sensor rod has rusted and snapped. Any chance I could take you up on that offer of a new one?

Regards,

No problem Tim send your details via PM and I'll make you one up, just used the last swivel joints on one for mine but plenty in stock at RS.

Did the wheel nuts arrive OK?

On 01/02/2016 at 8:19 PM, steve2006 said:

No problem Tim send your details via PM and I'll make you one up, just used the last swivel joints on one for mine but plenty in stock at RS.

Did the wheel nuts arrive OK?

Hi Steve - wheel nuts arrived OK, thanks! I now have all matching nuts (:)), although, yours sit a little further into the wheel than mine? I'll take a photo next time I'm outside (it's been pouring down for the last 2 days!!)

I'll send my details again via PM. It's the metal rod that's snapped, as you predicted.

I'm waiting on an outer glass weatherstrip from Lexus, it's on back order until April, so I can't put my door back together as it's leaking quite badly into the door skin. I've got a towel in there at the moment and that's doing the job for the moment.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links