Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Out driving tonight and realised that the ac system was blowing cold, despite whacking it up to 27 to check. So turned the system off completely. Got back home, 3 or 4 miles from where I noticed the heater blowing cold and a screeching started from under the hood followed by a boat load of steam. Checked the temp gauge and it was normal running temp.

The fans were going ten to the dozen whilst the steam cleared and there is a definite knocking somewhere at the front of the engine. Being night time, I'm limited as to what I can see at the moment, but I checked the oil cap and no sign of mayonnaise although the level is unexpectedly low.

My first thought is a water pump, but I'll have a better look tomorrow. Does a water pump seem feasible? Also, if so, any ideas on a rough cost of replacement?

Another quick question. Just put car through MOT and had an advisory on "handbrake had little reserve travel"... Sticky calliper issue manifesting itself? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

If that would cause this then I hope so as that sounds a little more pocket friendly! Will check levels tomorrow and hopefully get a better picture

Checked this morning. Coolant had all disappeared. Refilled it. No visible leaks and coolant level didn't drop over a half hour period.

Decided to turn it over and steam begun as soon as I turned it over again and knocking began again. Called garage and took it up there, absolutely no power at all, even on kick down although I didn't push it at all.

£260 to replace. Seems about right money.

Don't think it's a huge job, just a bit fiddly.

I paid £100 for a water pump change on a Merc C220 CDI at 73k. Good to know the IS250 runs longer. Part was £50 and took an hour to fit. This also included new bottle of coolant

Failing water pumps are common on the IS250. I bought new Genuine water pump from Lexus Birmingham for just over £100 and replaced it myself. Over on clublexus people have experienced water pump failures from cars with even 45k miles on the clock.

I had my waterpump fail which was identified by a former Lexus Technician based in Hainault that does my private work. There was water everywhere where it hit the belt that.

I paid £80 for genuine part from Kimber Parts (part delivered had Toyota written on them) and fitted for £60 = Total £140

I supplied the pink coolant which I got of Lexus Sheffield eBay store and think it was £45 per 5 ltr

Water pump is a fiddly job.