Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

This topic has probably been done to death before, but I cannot locate it. Apologies if I have missed the obvious.

I have reached the stage where my GS300 17 inch alloys need replacement or refurbishment. Replacement with aftermarket alloys is attractive (cost-wise).

The range of package deals on a set of alloys and tyres is bewildering and I am wary of getting a fragile set.

Can anyone recommend any suitable alloys for general (non-sport) use. Toughness and durability is more important than weight.

Also any warnings of makes to avoid.

Many thanks.

Personally I would try and stick with OEM wheels but that is just me. With aftermarket brands you pay for what you get and cheaper wheels may well be less durable. Good aftermarket brands that spring to mind are Enkei, Rays, OZ, BBS, Rota. None of these are particularly cheap.

Proper refurbishment, blasted down to metal and powdercoated, shouldn't cost much more than £300-400.

What's the issue with getting the originals refurbished?

Not as easy as it sounds.

With after market, you order them online, have them delivered, take them to your local garage and get them swapped.

With refurbishing, you have to take the wheels off, remove the tyres, take them to wherever, return after a week and do it all again in reverse.

i got a set from lexus sheffield last year exchange set 240 for the set fitted i ordered them the rang me when they came in and took an hour to change them while i drank their coffee my old ones went away to be refurbished for someone else

And the garanteed if the damaged a tpms sensor would be replace FOC

• Like 3

Don't forget to check the compatibility of the tyre pressure sensors. Stock sensors may not fit after market wheels.

Its a 2000-reg GS300 se. I am the tyre pressure sensor, so no worries there... ;)

Thanks for responding.

What's the issue with getting the originals refurbished?

Mainly distrust of refurb companies, but one of the posts about Lexus refurbs is interesting.

The originals are heavily corroded and keeping a seal on one of them is a pain.

Personally I would try and stick with OEM wheels but that is just me. With aftermarket brands you pay for what you get and cheaper wheels may well be less durable. Good aftermarket brands that spring to mind are Enkei, Rays, OZ, BBS, Rota. None of these are particularly cheap.

Proper refurbishment, blasted down to metal and powdercoated, shouldn't cost much more than £300-400.

Thanks. I will keep this in mind. I am just keeping the old bus running for another year. It is at 165k and showing its age now, but runs beautifully. Then I have my eye on a later GS430 (would have been a 450h, but the loss of luggage space is a problem).

Have you thought of buying a set of steels and fitting a set of winter tyres. You're then free to take your alloys for refurb.

For UK use I am using Uniroyal Rainsport 3's which are a better bet than winter tyres. At 235/45 the GS is useless in snow anyway.

i got a set from lexus sheffield last year exchange set 240 for the set fitted i ordered them the rang me when they came in and took an hour to change them while i drank their coffee my old ones went away to be refurbished for someone else

And the guaranteed if the damaged a tpms sensor would be replace FOC

Definitely interesting. I will try for a price next week. Many thanks.

One of our local well respected wheel refurbishers just want the wheels delivered.

I have done that on my old Alfa, delivered one morning using wife's car, picked up next day, Alfa on drive overnight on jacks, looked like someone had stolen the wheels.

Got some work done on the brakes and other bits while all the wheels were off.

The 17" wheels on my 51 registered GS300 are presentable but I, also, have trouble keeping tyre pressure (35psi) up to the mark on 2 of the wheels. The tyres have been removed and fixative replaced but the problem persists. Can you advise, please, if refurbishing and powder coating would be likely to cure the loss of pressure? The Avon Tyres were fitted new in May 2015 and have done under 5000 miles.

The 17" wheels on my 51 registered GS300 are presentable but I, also, have trouble keeping tyre pressure (35psi) up to the mark on 2 of the wheels. The tyres have been removed and fixative replaced but the problem persists. Can you advise, please, if refurbishing and powder coating would be likely to cure the loss of pressure? The Avon tyres were fitted new in May 2015 and have done under 5000 miles.

It is possible that if the rim bead area has become corroded it could allow some air loss.

But a decent tyre company should be able to spot this & advise on a solution.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thank you, Alan. I will check that out.

Regards

Yes it will cure the air loss problem. Essentially what you have is some corrosion where the bead meets the rim and that let's air escape.

If you have them refurbed and powder coated they'll be back to normal

Mine are getting professionally refurbished at the minute as they were very bad, I wanted a set of 18" but they are very scarce plus I only need 1 the part number is 4261130B50.

I've emailed Lexus in Bolton about exchange wheels but they have yet to reply, so that option is not looking too promising.

Lexus Derby originally quoted £200, but that turned out to be a "face refurbishment" i.e. cosmetic.

Requoted £240 VAT incl for proper wheels-off full refurb. (Not bad!)

Not service exchange though - have to be of the road.

When I enquired at my local delaer (Listers Cheltenham), for my previous car, they were quoting a similar amount. They seemed to only do it on one day of the week and told me that the refurb would be completed during that one day. So, if you can do without the car for a day this could be feasible. Who knows, if no-one is using the cortesy car they may let you borrow it.

When I enquired at my local delaer (Listers Cheltenham), for my previous car, they were quoting a similar amount. They seemed to only do it on one day of the week and told me that the refurb would be completed during that one day. So, if you can do without the car for a day this could be feasible. Who knows, if no-one is using the cortesy car they may let you borrow it.

I am suspicious of a "one-day" service. It is unlikely to be properly cured powder coating, probably just a paint job. (any paint who guru's can advise on this?)