Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Still In Two Minds About An Ls430

My main concern is the air suspension. What are the chances of it failing due to water getting into the height sensors on our very wet UK roads?

And if I change to coilovers, how much difference is the suspension? I have read mixed reports, some say they can't tell the difference, others saying that it's definitely not as nice a ride.

Rear air-con failure I could probably live with & the rear cracked subwoofer looks like it's easily solvable with some glue!

How often is it worth replacing the radiator (to negate the risk of getting water in the gearbox)?

Also - LPG conversions - are they reliable? Or do they introduce even more complexity and problems

This caught my eye on eBay - anyone know this car or care to comment?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Lexus-LS430-LPG-Custom-Interior-Exhaust-/201497101722?hash=item2eea29c59a:g:hDgAAOSwv-NWZLvn

Looks like LS400 is a safer buy (and I haven't written off the idea) but I think a 430 is more my cup of tea and I would be happier with one of those.

Other option I am considering is a s-type...

Many thanks for any help!

James

There are plenty of member contributions in the forum archives with regard the pro's and con's of LS400 v LS430 and I have made a contribution on that subject when I chose a Mark 4 LS400.

With regard to the issues you have mentioned in your post ,there have been problems on some LS430's but they are in the minority and most of the owners swear by their reliability .

At the end of the day the decision you take is yours when it comes to the buying of the car and my advice is trust your own instinct as there are no members I know of who will let you kick their butts if you choose wrong on their say so.

• Like 1

My main concern is the air suspension. What are the chances of it failing due to water getting into the height sensors on our very wet UK roads?

It is quite a common fault especially on the old pre facelift 430s - if this occurs you are most likely going to have to take it to lexus dealer rather than buying parts and trying to fit them locally does not work or atleast one member found out. Ive had my 04 plate for 3 years without any suspension problems - i do flick the switch on a regular basis to keep things moving rather than stuck in one mode

And if I change to coilovers, how much difference is the suspension? I have read mixed reports, some say they can't tell the difference, others saying that it's definitely not as nice a ride.

i believe a member here brendon has done it and he done a write up - try the search

Rear air-con failure I could probably live with & the rear cracked subwoofer looks like it's easily solvable with some glue!

I believe you still need to remove the subwoofer which involves removing the rear seats.

How often is it worth replacing the radiator (to negate the risk of getting water in the gearbox)?

A member here replaced their radiator with a good branded one costing £115 taking only one hour so not a big or costly job.

Also - LPG conversions - are they reliable? Or do they introduce even more complexity and problems

These cars react to LPG very well - i believe member here bluesman has been running them for many years without any problems. Cost of the system is not really a factor - its how well its fitted and tuned - professgas often get the thumbs up - i must say though there hasnt been many discussions regarding LPG of lately - perhaps its the dropping price of petrol.

This caught my eye on ebay - anyone know this car or care to comment?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Lexus-LS430-LPG-Custom-Interior-Exhaust-/201497101722?hash=item2eea29c59a:g:hDgAAOSwv-NWZLvn

Thats an ireland car so you will need to MOT and register it here - a member here jon the tourist imported one recently and documented the process on this forum - look it up if you decide to go down that route - the car is overpriced anyway 3.5k is where it should be - there is a gold facelift one in ireland for £2700 at a dealers!

Looks like LS400 is a safer buy (and I haven't written off the idea) but I think a 430 is more my cup of tea and I would be happier with one of those.

Yes true the mark 4 400 was the best in terms of reliability and many members swear by them. Certainly when i upgraded from the 400 to 430 it took me a while to adjust - mainly the 430 is noisier and not as smooth due to the larger low profile tyres. However the 430 has many more toys.

My advise is drive both and make up your mind - it really is a personal thing.

No dont do it - Buy a lexus! lol

• Like 4

Really helpful - thankyou everyone for taking the time to help!

Amazing actually, to read that the 430 is noisier than the 400, as I found the 430 very quiet indeed!

Slightly more comforting to read that the suspension problems are more common on the pre-facelift 430s. Oh that's interesting that I couldn't just get a local indy to fit coilovers, I am sure I read from someone who had done that in the past. Would a Lexus dealer fit non-standard coilovers though, or would they only replace like for like?

Come and join me with the LPG brigade. 44p per litre I paid today. A tankful today cost me £31 and I will get around 320 to 330 miles. I always have a big smile on my face when I fill up. Mike.

• Like 1

Really helpful - thankyou everyone for taking the time to help!

Amazing actually, to read that the 430 is noisier than the 400, as I found the 430 very quiet indeed!

Slightly more comforting to read that the suspension problems are more common on the pre-facelift 430s. Oh that's interesting that I couldn't just get a local indy to fit coilovers, I am sure I read from someone who had done that in the past. Would a Lexus dealer fit non-standard coilovers though, or would they only replace like for like?

The 400 is amazingly quiet at 50 to 60mph, the only car recently I have been in that is quieter was a brand new Audi Q7.

Wind noise and tyre noise are the issue, and having not been in a 430 (or 460) I suspect low profiles will always raise noise levels, but the 430/460 may suffer less wind noise which becomes more noticeable at 70-80mph.

If you like toys a 430 it must be, but do try a Mk4 400 if you can, and then just keep the beer in the fridge at home.

Profess will do your installation in one day and lend you a car for the day so you can enjoy the wonderful Welsh countryside. Theirs is £1200. Do not b e suckered in by what UKLPG tell you, they are not government appointed overseers of the LPG industry in the UK they just give you the impression they are, neither do you need an oil system fitted for another £100.

I have been running cars for both me and my wife on LPG for the last 16 years and I have never heard of any cars with burnt out valves which was because of the LPG system fitted.

What you do need to check out is when you go to an LPG installation place make sure there are no horses tethered up outside.

The Profess installation was brilliantly neat and tidy which is not the case with alot of places. Don't think if you pay more money you will get a better install and a better LPG system, the two do not go together. I have had several cars converted by them and I know of others on here and friends of mine who have used them and all have been OK. Mike.

What brand did you get fitted ? size of tank ? If I quote bluesman will they give me a discount ? [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no - bluesman gets paid for the referral - so he can enjoy his LPG motoring even more lol

What brand did you get fitted ? size of tank ? If I quote bluesman will they give me a discount ? [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no - bluesman gets paid for the referral - so he can enjoy his LPG motoring even more lol

I wish. I doubt you would get a discount mentioning my name especially when you think of the price to start with. Stagg was fitted to my car. and the tank is 85 litre doughnut tank that sits in the wheel well and they spare wheel just sits in the boot with a cover they supplied. No it has never given me a problem with lack of load space and I have never had a problem with the installation they fitted. Mike.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/01/2016 at 0:21 PM, cruisermark said:
On 07/01/2016 at 11:42 AM, Edus Amedda said:

It is quite a common fault especially on the old pre facelift 430s - if this occurs you are most likely going to have to take it to lexus dealer rather than buying parts and trying to fit them locally does not work or atleast one member found out. Ive had my 04 plate for 3 years without any suspension problems - i do flick the switch on a regular basis to keep things moving rather than stuck in one mode

BG - the sensors are moving all the time and the air system pumps up the shocks or lets them down - so it continually exercises itself.  If a sensor craps out then you can jam it in place and get the car level to keep you rolling - I speak from experience.  The sensors on the face lift mdels were las reliable than the original 430 (I have a 2002).

i believe a member here brendon has done it and he done a write up - try the search

BG Yep and it worked really well and the ride is great.  $1K of new legs and £55 per corner to fit.  The only mistake I made was removing the compressor when I should have just pulled the fuse.  I have a ride height high light on all the time.  The ride height sensors are still connected so the self leveling head lamps still work.  The original suspension will always be better because they will keep the unsprung mass of the car on the road so you may get a better ride on rougher roads but the new struts are a little softer.  Don't missunderstand me the car still corners like it is nailed on the road.

I believe you still need to remove the subwoofer which involves removing the rear seats.

BG I was lucky mine were changed during the recal for free - if the back pipes rot just blank them off - do you need individual air con in the back :)

A member here replaced their radiator with a good branded one costing £1javascript:void('Black')15 taking only one hour so not a big or costly job.

BG a pain of a job and because I have an old 430 the rad was not cheap - had to go to Lexus.  However the original lasted 200K miles :)  The biggest problem you face is a rotten intercooling pipe which will result in water in the gear box - that will be an extinction level event for the box.  You can fit an oil cooler for peace of mind which will bypass the Rad.

These cars react to LPG very well - i believe member here bluesman has been running them for many years without any problems. Cost of the system is not really a factor - its how well its fitted and tuned - professgas often get the thumbs up - i must say though there hasnt been many discussions regarding LPG of lately - perhaps its the dropping price of petrol.

BG well over 120K miles on LPG - the only way to go - never had any real problems.  I am a tight (or sensible) Yorshire-man.

This caught my eye on ebay - anyone know this car or care to comment?

Thats an ireland car so you will need to MOT and register it here - a member here jon the tourist imported one recently and documented the process on this forum - look it up if you decide to go down that route - the car is overpriced anyway 3.5k is where it should be - there is a gold facelift one in ireland for £2700 at a dealers!

Yes true the mark 4 400 was the best in terms of reliability and many members swear by them. Certainly when i upgraded from the 400 to 430 it took me a while to adjust - mainly the 430 is noisier and not as smooth due to the larger low profile tyres. However the 430 has many more toys.

My advise is drive both and make up your mind - it really is a personal thing.

BG - I had 3 X 400s and they were great - the 430 is better.  You choose - it's like birds, beer and curry: everyone has their own tastes.

No dont do it - Buy a lexus! lol

BG Gah - all my typing for nothing :)  An S-Type !!!!!!!!  Best of luck mate

See my comments guys - 14 years in a LPG LS430 with nearly 250K on the clock - the beast will be 14 in Feb :) and it is still rocking.

Eddus Amedda

Would anyone be able to recommend an LPG company around the London/surrounding area that has experience with Lexi/LS430s?

I am in London, avoid any lpg conversions here - I went to proffes in wales, they did a 100% perfect job on a 100% perfect engine, which remains perfectct ever since (appx 3 or 4 years ago, their reputation is second to non.

Of course if you think driveing a 300 mile round trip is not worth perfection then dont bother just get it done here, after all botch jobs are usually quicker.

Edited by dendonc
additional info

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links