Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

P0093 Help Needed To Decipher Data

Badger1966

Hi all,

Well my ongoing battle with various problems may be about to get better if some very kind person can help to decipher the data I have managed to get from my car. I have 3 fault codes... P0093, P0102 and P0113. I am most interested in the P0093 as the others seem quite straight forward. Please have a look at the following screen shots of P0093 data....

post-48960-0-30959400-1452446275_thumb.p

post-48960-0-53357900-1452446302_thumb.p

post-48960-0-63133700-1452446315_thumb.p

I have no idea at this point if the pics have worked on here or not. If not I will be more than happy to email the pics to you.

I know this fault can be various things from a fuel cap to an injector problem. I am just desperately hoping the info can point me in the right direction.

Thanks for looking

Just put the code in the search field, putting too much information in is as bad as not enough.

The code is a generic obd code and will apply to many cars not just Lexus.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Quick update on the fault codes. Well I replaced the MAF sensor ( eBay 351023787604 £50.39 Euro car parts ) And that sorted the P0102 and P0113 faults, The car is fuelling soooo much better, crisper. And mileage has gone up by around 3.5 miles per gallon :-) Still have the P0093 though. But a strange thing happened when I fitted the MAF. Although the P0102 and P0113 faults went, I had B1421 and B1424 faults codes appear! Crazy or what. How on earth can fixing one fault cause another unrelated fault? I understand the new codes relate to " Solar Sensor Circuit (Passenger Side and drivers side)" Any one have any ideas?

On another note, the car is still going into limp mode P0093. But only first thing in the morning. I was thinking it may be pointing to a blocked fuel filter. As far as I know diesel gets thicker the colder it is, so if the filter is partially blocked, could the slightly thicker diesel be causing even lower fuel pressure? Again, any ideas? Also is there no one out there that can make any sense of the info I first posted?

Lol, not such a quick update!

Thanks all

Spoke to Lexus today. And my car is not due for the fuel filter to be replaced for another 10000 miles. So the suspicion is my fuel filter is not the problem. Any way, I have now booked it into Lexus Bristol for diagnosis. They say they can tell me exactly what the fault is. And a sort of reasonable £51 inc vat. Fingers crossed and I will let yo all know the result on Feb 5th.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Latest update. Went to Lexus last Friday, the 5th. Diagnostics came back with P0093, no surprise there. They could not find any "fuel leak" but fuel pressure was very low. So process of elimination came up with fuel filter blocked, Exactly as I suspected. Fuel filter changed. Fuel pressure back to normal. They test drove and said all was fine. I drove home and all seemed fine. Following day, guess what? Yes, going into limp mode again, I could cry. And seems to be going into limp mode more frequently/aggressively. As much as 6 or more times within a mile from start up. But as usual it eventually keeps going and wont go into limp mode again for the rest of the drive. Sometimes will go into limp mode again, once or twice if engine has got cold. following day, same again. Well I'm back to Lexus this coming Friday so I will up date again.

It puzzles me though that P0093 "Fuel system leak detected, large leak" is still causing a problem even though there is good fuel pressure and no leak???? Any ideas any one?

Hi Badger1966,

I could be wrong but it maybe some of your injectors could be dirty, if they are then injector spray pattern would be effected hence it could be over fuelling therefore detecting fuel leak? Ask Lexus to check injector readings on diagnostics.

I really feel for you as I recently got rid of my is220d, I realised that when this car runs fine it's ok, but the minute something goes wrong, it becomes a endless money pit! I really hope you get it sorted out, good luck.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Well, after an hour and a half of the car on a live test, they found that the "AIR FUEL RATIO SENSOR" was intermittently cutting power in some way to the MAF sensor. And when it cut the power, the exhaust put out a puff of smoke and engine noise noticeable changed. It is the only thing that they can find wrong. All injectors are fine, dpf, egr etc have no problems whatsoever. I have attached a pic of the possible culprit to all my problems. They actually don't know for sure if it will cure the faults, but it's the only thing that they can find that is faulty, or intermittently faulty. Well off to Lexus Bristol again next Friday 19th to have it fitted at a cost of £313, grim. I just hope it works, fingers crossed, Apparently when this goes faulty more fuel is injected. Maybe this could be the answer to my poor fuel economy and smoking issues?

I must also say that Lexus Bristol have been absolutely awesome. Customer service is second to none. Extremely helpful, great communication and serve a nice latte!

Air_fuel_ratio_sensor.png

Ouch indeed. But this fault did not show under normal circumstances, it was only due to their persistence and time taken to monitor the car live while connected to the diagnostics that found the fault. I can't imagine how many people have had things replaced unnecessarily and still had a fault. Well next Friday will tell. Fingers crossed. And in the big scheme of things it will be a small price to pay if it cures the problems.

Indeed, I hope it does cure the faults. And of course I hope it helps others too. I was also wondering that the fault codes for the MAF were a bit of a red herring? Maybe the air fuel ratio sensor causing loss of power to the MAF made the ECU think the MAF was faulty? Well I still have the old MAF, so out of interest at some point I will put the old MAF back in and see what happens. But one step at a time. Lets get the air fuel sensor done and make sure all is ok. I will update you all as soon as I finish at Lexus next Friday. 

Hello all, 

Well on the face of it, all seems good. In the short time I have driven the car, I have seen no smoke, and the horrific flat spot in power at 2500rpm under hard acceleration seems to have gone. Thinking back, I was getting odd drops/hesitation in power all over the rev range under acceleration. But the power is nice and smooth all the way through the rev range now. Wonderful. Even on tick over, the engine sounds so much smoother and quieter. It was quite sort of lumpy before. I will keep you posted on the fuel economy. I won't be traveling any real distance until Tuesday next week, a 50 mile round trip. That will show if my mpg has gone up. At the moment its in the 28mpg area. 

The true test will be tomorrow morning, the car always goes into limp mode from cold. I will update tomorrow on that. Certainly if it does not go into limp mode then I can say it's fixed! But again, as for the smoke and mpg, time will tell...

If any one is interested, the part code that was fitted is 89467-53010, Lexus call it "Sensor, Air Fuel" But basically I think it's a Lambda Sensor. But I thoroughly recommend getting you car into Lexus for a live diagnostics test before buying it. With the 220d faults, who knows what sensors etc might be faulty. Don't forget, I had MAF sensor, low fuel pressure due to blocked fuel filter and this needle in a haystack air fuel sensor all faulty at the same time. 

Cheers and I will catch up with you all soon :-)

Ok, I couldn't resist, just went out for a spin up the motorway. Averaging 65mph in 4th gear.  Approx 30 miles. Started out at 28.1mpg. First 15 miles it stayed the same. Last 15 miles I used 5th gear more and it slowly went up to 28.5mpg. Maybe the brain is getting used to the new sensor readings? I don't know? But it's going in the right direction. As time goes by I will keep you updated. Fingers crossed.

Well I had to go out again, around 5 miles in town traffic. The mpg did not drop below 28.5, so thats got to be a good sign as mpg is usually less around town. I also noticed that the tank average has gone up to 32mpg. I can only guess thats a good thing to. And still no smoke. 

Well, despite the lack of responses, i'm sure many of us are finding this thread interesting, so thanks for the updates.

I find 65mph in 4th to be too short, so I use 5th instead, which the car seems much happier with.

Did you try resetting the average fuel consumption figure while on the motorway?  I find doing that while going a constant 60mph in 5th gives some pleasant readings. :smile:

Perhaps it would be a good idea to reset the cars ECU by disconnecting the Battery for a while?

Cheers Shahpor, I do hope at least some people do find this interesting. But yes, 4th was a little short. And how do I reset average fuel consumption while on the move? Ah, I just read another thread on resetting. No worries I will give that a go. Not sure about resetting the ecu, I might leave it out of interest to see how things develop. And out of interest, what sort of mpg are you getting?

Well well well, guess what? Yes you guessed, lol. The car is still going into limp mode! Despite all the faults fixed, and the car feeling much better, for some reason its loving limp mode. The car is booked into Lexus again a week Monday, 29th. They will keep the car for a few days and see whats what. I just think it's possessed. What undetectable fault can be causing this? Tomorrow I will hook up my own diagnostic software and see what fault code appears.  

So sorry to hear that I really feel for you. Even though I haven't got my is220d I have been following this thread closely as this car has puzzled me to the point of going insane.

Keep us posted on updates, let's see what the makers themselves find!

Good luck buddy I hope it doesn't become a money pit for you as it did with me.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Man that sucks Gary.

Hopefully the dealer will be able to find the fault this time.  At least it sounds like they are trying.

To answer your question, I do a mix of town and motorway driving and am currently averaging 38mpg.  Around town I get in the mid to high 20's, but then that is in London. :smile:

On the motorway, I tend to poodle at around 60mph, which helps the mpg somewhat.  When I do that, the car reckons my average mpg is around the high 40's to low 50's.

Overall, the best I have managed for a tank so far is just over 40mpg.