Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

P0093 Help Needed To Decipher Data

Badger1966

Hellooo, 

Well, I have news! As they can't find anything wrong, they decided to go through the Lexus bulletins to see if they could find a solution. And I think they might have done. In 2010 a bulletin was released about a "Suction control valve" in the fuel pump going faulty causing loss of power and, you guessed it, the P0093 fault code! It apparently may also be the cause of the over fuelling and therefore poor mpg issue. Lets wait and see on that front. Luckily it's available as a kit. I almost expected to have to buy a new pump. The bad news is it's going to cost me £333 fitted. But if it cures the fault, then worth every penny. The part should be fitted tomorrow and they will keep the car and continue testing to see if it's cured. Should have a definitive yes or no on Wednesday. In the mean time I have a nice new NX300h lux to potter around in! And I'm loving it!!!! Keep yer fingers crossed folks :biggrin:

• Like 1

If you type in to eBay "lexus suction control valve" You will find Toyota ones for £99 or Denso for £199. They all say fits Lexus !S220d. What the difference between them is, I don't know. But £333 fitted at Lexus, omg. Apparently Lexus say one hour labour. I will keep you posted on progress. 

• Like 2

Hi guys, things are looking good! After the mechanic fitted the suction control valve, he took it for a spin and said that its like a completely different car. Performance greatly improved.  Even took it on the motorway and averaged 40mpg :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I have never seen that as long as I have owned it, amazing. The acid test will be tomorrow morning. Simon the Lexus front man for the workshop will be taking it home this evening. Around 15 miles each way. So fingers crossed it won't go into limp mode when he starts it tomorrow morning. I sort of hope it's not fixed, I could keep the NX300h for a bit longer, lol. What an awesome car that is! Just wish I had £36k spare. But on a serious note, if this fix makes my mpg go up as well as fixing the limp mode saga, it could be the answer to a lot of peoples problems. I am guessing the suction control valve starts causing problems way before it starts making the car go into limp mode. I have had the car for 2 years 3 months and even then I saw no more than, from memory, 35mpg. And for the mechanic to get 40mpg straight away is a revelation! Hopefully the final part of this saga tomorrow...

Good news so far :smile:

Hopefully, this will solve your problems, and be an interesting tale for anyone else going through the same thing.

Fingers crossed the good news continues into tomorrow.

By the way, I don't think you have mentioned how many miles your car has done?

The car has done 141000, quite a few miles indeed. But Lexus report that it has no other faults anywhere on the car. Perfect working order, apart form the currant problem, lol. A testament to Lexus engineering. I bought it with one owner from new with full Lexus service history. Last two mot's went straight through with no advisories. Although the first mot I had done, the tester said the front pads were ok but would need changing before next mot. The discs had a very minor lip on the edge, so I brought new Ferodo pads and discs, and also refurbished the front calipers. Belt and braces. it stops very well indeed. The engine top end was done at 98000. 

I've been following this thread for some time.

blimey, .... I really hope you have this one licked now. It can be incredibly frustrating trying to find a solution to an unknown. I can fully empathise with anyone who has  problems with the Diesel engine. I had one, briefly, and my head gasket went within 4 months of ownership. It was sorted by Lexus, but initially help was not forthcoming.

Fingers crossed for you.

Nice one, thanks normski2 :smile: Wish my lovely neighbours and wonderful drivers had left my bodywork looking as good as yours! Don't think I have a single panel without some kind of scratch or little dent from small childrens bycicles etc. 

• Like 1

Hi lexy220d, that's an odd one. Are your glow plugs ok? Well all the expectation and anticipation of a fix has turned into utter disappointment. Yep, no fix. Although the mpg is still much better. I guess the suction control valve may be a fix for the poor mpg, but not for my main fault, the dreaded going into P0093 limp mode. So, on with the fault finding. Apparently they have a "donor" vehicle which they are going to swap parts from until they find the culprit. Shame it's not fixed, but it can only be a matter of time now, and I have their assurance that they will not stop until they find the fault! I must say that everything thats been done has had an effect though. New fuel filter sorted low fuel pressure, new fuel and oxygen sensor seems to have sorted the flat spots in power and the new valve seems to have sorted the poor fuel economy. Long term will confirm all this though. Keep your fingers crossed, again, lol

guttered, i was rooting for you. so how much are lexus charging to replace the parts?, i am just considering weather it is worth going down this road. 

i have booked mine into lexus next week as the independent is struggling to find the fault. he now says it needs a new fuel rail, but it all come with maybe. there is no way i am going £1200 on a may be. 

so i am hopefully going to give lexus the headache and see if they can be embarrassed in to fixing it 

maybe one of us will get a solution

I think Lexus only sell the Pressure sensor with the fuel rail, although not 100% sure. But the Toyota part I previously mentioned is the same part available separately. And I have to say, Lexus Bristol are having major issues finding the fault. And they have put in some serious effort, I really can't fault them. Now they did find things wrong, but nothing has cured the main fault, so I fear if you go to lexus you could be in the same boat as me. If you can hold fire until mine is fixed, it may save you a lot of grief and expense. I'm over £650 with more to come! I don't know how much extra.  

Gutted for you mate. I've been a silent viewer on this topic since it started, as the mpg on mine is aweful. Avg approx 26-28mpg, and I too get the pulsing at certain revs. I regularly clean the EGR, USA AR6200 and use the DPF cleaner as I was certain they were the problem for the poor mpg. But they aren't. 

I have had the car almost 2 years now, and the mpg has gradually got worse. Although I don't have the limp mode problem. 

I'm wondering how I can test the suction control valve without buying one. 

Hi Sco77is220d, No idea how you test it my good man. All I can say is that when the fault code was reset after the valve was fitted and then it did 40mpg. After it went into limp mode again it went down to, I think he said 35mpg, so definitely an improvement. I'm not sure Lexus could test it as such, The valve didn't show a fault code, they just changed it of the back of a Lexus bulletin. So lets wait for a total fix and I can keep you posted on the mpg. Although it is a bit to much of a coincidence that after it was fitted the mpg shot up! As for the pulsing, I am not sure if that's gone or not. But if its connected to the flat spots in power, then I think the air fuel sensor sorted that. I didn't notice it after it was fitted, but I didn't drive it much before it went back into Lexus. All I can do is share my experience and hope it helps people :smile: Do you have any fault codes? 

Man, that sucks Gary. :sad:

At least it appears your Lexus dealer is determined to find the fault, hopefully with very little or no extra expense.

Although, if things on the car really have improved like you say, then it seems there was more than one worn or faulty part, so at least progress is being made. :smile:

Fingers crossed you get some good news soon.

Scott, if you happen to travel south at some point, I can check for fault codes for you. :smile:  Otherwise, there is also the option to take it to a dealer for diagnosis. 

Hi guys.

Scott, I can also check for any fault code if you happen to be in Bristol. Even do a live test as well, although I'm not really sure how to interpret the results. 

And Shahpor, indeed your right. Alot of progress has been made, and when the car has been reset, it seems to be great. But after it goes into limp mode for the first time, its not quite the same. Although the cars runs ok, it still not running right when it's running. If that makes sense, lol. 

And yes, for sure Lexus Bristol will not stop until they find the fault, no matter how long it takes. And as they haven't fixed the fault they will not charge me any more money :biggrin: Awesome. Bad news is I had to swap the NX300h for a CT200 sport today as they had sold the NX. Wow that NX was awesome, I loved it. Still, mustn't grumble, the CT is very nice as well! 

Worth searching on our sister site, www.toyotaownersclub.com, there are a lot more Toyota vehicles fitted with these engines than Lexus. Seems to be a somewhat common issue although multiple cures have been reported such as a faulty fuel temperature sensor or faulty injectors. Given you have had other, seemingly unrelated, error codes the electric system should also be tested - Battery, alternator, earthing points etc. I'd assume your dealership would have checked all these things though.