Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

P0093 Help Needed To Decipher Data

Badger1966

Helloooo, faulty fuel temp sensor seems good to me. The whole problem is temperature related I think. Had a new alternator recently, Battery seems very good, it never ceases to amaze me how it keeps starting the engine so often without going flat. No idea on the earths, but I know that can cause problems. And yes, I would like to think Lexus would have checked everything possible before going down the road of swapping parts. Still waiting for news, so I will update as soon I hear anything.

Well guys, the latest update. After having every possible sensor, even the common rail swapped, they can only come up with one thing left. The high pressure fuel pump on the back of the engine. The problem is that when the engine was rebuilt, for the 2nd time! by Lexus Cardiff, the assumption is that they didn't torque the fuel pump bolts, they just did them up f*****g tight, so tight they can't get them undone.The only solution is to take the engine out and drill the bolts out. And at almost £1000 labour plus the cost of the new pump, it basically writes the car off. I could cry, words fail me. You can't believe how i'm feeling at the moment. 

:sad: unbelievable mate

This can't be the end of it.

Off the top of my head, can't you take it back to Lexus Cardiff if they screwed up the installation?

Or perhaps take it to an independent who might be able to undo the bolts for you?

Apply to Lexus UK for some goodwill considering it was one of their dealers who probably screwed up the original job?

There must be a way to get it off other than taking the engine out! 

Well I considered contacting Cardiff Lexus, but as I didn't buy the car from them, they will just say nothing to do with us, and I expect Lexus UK would say the same! It may have 100% full Lexus history, but I didn't buy it from lexus and that will be their get out clause. And if a bolt is seized then it's seized. Nothing other than drilling it out will do. There just isn't enough access with out taking the engine out according to Bristol Lexus. I am screwed. 

It is right behind the engine against the bulkhead. And I think they are allen key bolts, and once they round off that's that. I just had a better look at the diagram, they appear to be normal bolts

Its has 10000 mile old Ferodo front discs and pads, they look like new. New MAF sensor, new fuel filter, new air fuel ratio sensor and 1000 mile old alternator. Good Pirelli P7 front tyres and good contisport rear tyres. Body needs attention and wheel need a refurb. Not to mention all sensors etc excluding high pressure fuel pump in perfect working order according to lexus.

Don't give up yet mate.

Like I said, you have nothing to lose from contacting either the dealer or Lexus UK.  See if you can get your local dealer to agree to tell them that the bolts were done too tight and not to spec when the engine was done.  Having a full Lexus history also backs up your claim that no one else has been messing with it.  Even if you didn't buy the car from the Cardiff dealer, I assume you have proof that they were the ones that did the work?

I agree that the odds are not in your favour, but stranger things have happened.

Also, since the car still runs, I would at least take it to a local garage and get them to have a look.  Again, no harm in trying.

Yep, no harm in trying I suppose. And yes the service history proves Lexus Cardiff did the work. But I will have a go at the bolts myself, I am sure I have come across worse in the past! Access will be the issue. I am getting the car back tomorrow and I will have a go on Sunday, weather permitting. The bolts actually have a threaded hole in which the "pump protector" fits to. Like a bolt in a bolt. A ready made hole to use what I call an "easy out" or "bolt extractor" I am surprised Lexus didn't try that. I will find out more tomorrow...

Good idea.

No reason why you can't do both at the same time.

I really hope you manage to get it off.  If I can help in any way, let me know.

Not quite sure how you get at it, but would it help if you took the bonnet off?

Well I am going to have a go at them this morning. At the end of the day, they said they would not stop until they fix it. It is not my fault the bolts are overtightened, and its not my fault they rounded the heads of the bolts. It's going to be an interesting morning! Here is a pic of the bolts in question. The first pic shows the cover mounted, the second pic shows the two bolts with holes in them. 

Fuel_pump.png

Well I got the car back. A suggestion was to take gear box off and tilt the engine to get to the bolts. But having found out that the pump is £1600 plus vat, it sort of writes the car off any way. Also considering it still may not fix the fault. I asked if I could get the bolts out would they let me fit the pump from there donor car, but no, the donor car is apparently off to auction. If I had a pump to borrow to see if it fixed the fault, I may go to the trouble. But as it stands, still no fix and beyond economical repair. Grim day indeed.

:sad:

Second hand pump maybe?  Quite a few 220d's being broken on eBay?

Also, if you do manage to loosen the bolts, can't they take it back for diagnosis?  After all, if they had gotten the pump off, weren't they going to test it?

No, they were just going to swap the pump to see if it cures the fault. I've thought of a second hand pump. But it would have to be off a low milage car for me to take the chance. I will look into that. But I still have the problem of getting the old one off. Even if I take it to an independant garage, I am still looking at alot of labour and still the cost of the pump. Which is still going to be well in excess of £500 all in I think. And no guarantee of a cure. Where do you draw the line...

Indeed, what else could it be. But until its fitted and the car works, it's not a guarantee. It's just another thing to try. But having said that, from what Lexus have done, I don't think it can be anything else.  

ECU has come to mind, but again big bucks. And I imagine it is not plug and play. Even the suction control valve needs its software update. I would imagine any ECU replacement would have to be done at Lexus so that they can program it. And they would also need to know what electrical items have been replaced and when or what version. The car is like a PC, for example you replace the graphics card in your PC, you need new drivers to make it work properly.. 

I agree, they don't have a clue. Well I am going to have a go at the mounting bolts later this morning. I have found some cheap pumps on eBay. And also confirm they are from cars written off by accident not fault code, lol. 

i hope they come off, i have seen pumps on e bay for about £250, i would also guess that most pumps would be ok as it  seems quite rare looking at the forums. 

if you get it off i think you should bill them...

Stop press!! The Badger meister has triumphed in the face of adversity. I have done what no Lexus mechanic could do. I have undone the bolts holding the pump on!!!!!!! Oh yes indeed. I am almost speechless. I might just have to have a nice sausage sandwich and coffee to celebrate! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: