Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Having wheel bearing done next week, garage say advised to replace hub and bearing. Paying £265 is that a fair price??? Also driver seat is very dirty (discoloured). What would be best stuff to use to clean?? Phil

hi phil

thats correct - the whole hub gets replaced - i understand it is a quick job - just 4 bolts to remove the hub - i cannot see it taking more than an hour tops - i have just done a quick search on eBay and prices start at around £60 for an aftermarket part - this should give you an idea of how much to pay

for the leather i use gliptone leather cleaner - if the seat is really dirty give it good 2-3 cleans with this stuff doing a small section at a time - it has evaporating qualities which work well with the perforated leather. Then finish off with gliptone leather feed

hope this helps

• Like 1

I've just had a rear bearing replaced - £120 for bearing kit plus I needed a new hub - £200 + vat. Rip off prices when you look at the price in the US. I should have ordered from there, but didn't have time to wait for delivery.

Incidentally, my mate is a manager in a bearing supplier and could get bearings (Koyo) for £47 each but 2 week delivery.

Pete

So it's not over priced I seem to be paying, I know you can get parts cheaper online but then if it goes wrong the garage can't give you any warranty and a lot of messing and waiting trying to claim of people you bought parts from. Last month I had new bearings discs and pads on my van two days later something wasn't right so took back to garage and a bearing was collapsing. They replaced everything inc discs pads ect. So in my mind it's better to let garage supply parts.

Hi Phil I agree with you. I use an independent to work on my car. I insist on Oem parts which he buys. In his experience, that is his preference because he knows they will fit, plus as you say if anything goes wrong you have a warranty.

You can get everything cheaper if you look!! , but not always best solution,

Rgds,

Roger

• Like 1

Peace of mind can only be valued by the individual and I have plenty to occupy my thoughts other than worrying weather something I have done is successful and to that end nothing but oem parts go on my Lexus.

Also when I get home next week taking car to Lexus cambelt change. Also driver door has bubble on it in the suspect area just over plastic trim. Also boot has bubbling over number plate so see if I can get it sorted under there 12 yr warranty. Can't see door being a problem. boot area see comments before saying boot is down to drilling hole for number plate.

Also when I get home next week taking car to Lexus cambelt change. Also driver door has bubble on it in the suspect area just over plastic trim. Also boot has bubbling over number plate so see if I can get it sorted under there 12 yr warranty. Can't see door being a problem. boot area see comments before saying boot is down to drilling hole for number plate.

they will probably take the door card off to check if the rust started on the inside.

The boot might be difficult - mine is 04 plate and can just about see a slight orange stain coming up from the underside - it starts at the numberplate screw holes although mine are now stuck on

On 12/01/2016 at 10:43 AM, 9690phil said:

Having wheel bearing done next week, garage say advised to replace hub and bearing. Paying £265 is that a fair price??? Also driver seat is very dirty (discoloured). What would be best stuff to use to clean?? Phil

That's about what I paid for my indi to do one - labour and parts (not Lexus).  My drivers seat is a bit manky but I am afraid to scrub it too hard - there may be nothing left :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links