Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Usb Stick Size

I wonder if anyone knows the maximum recommended sized for a USB stick for use in the IS300h USB sockets. I've tried a 32GB Cruzeblade and it takes an age for the software to analyse the contents.

Thanks for any help.

chris24

No idea what the maximum is but if you keep the stick in there it'll only analyze the contents the first time you put it in and then will work first time. If you pull it out its a different story though!

Thanks Rayaan; It does get left where it is most of the time, though I do sometimes remove it to add new tracks etc. Will try leaving it in situ for a week or two and see how it does. There's often a maximum size warning used for cameras and phones etc, so I did just wonder......

Chris

My 32gb works instantly which I believe is the max supported size although I tried a 64gb and it worked ok. to.

Sandisk sticks often have annoying vault software installed this could be slowing it down.

I use these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-16GB-DataTraveler-Micro/dp/B007V9U81E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452708320&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+stick+small

Ed :innocent:

I think mine is a Kingston 64GB and I don't have any issues. I keep all my music on it and don't take it out.

In the CT there was a maximum of 255 files per folder so any more than this and the system would not play those songs.

Thanks Paul and Ed

Have followed link and will get either of the ones you recommended.. I think the 255 files per folder may be something to do with the FAT system, but in any case, it's no problem. I have noticed the vault software on the cruzeblades (I have two): I wondered whether I dare delete it and decided it may not be a good idea. They'll no doubt come in handy for viewing photos on the TV.

Thanks both again

Chris

Hi Luigi

Yes, the IS is the same; it'll only read if formatted FAT32.

On Sandisk's website, it seems to suggest it's okay to get rid of the security software on the memory sticks, so I've just deleted it (having done backups first of course). Will see if it works any quicker when I put the blades back into their slots in the IS tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone

Chris

Just a line to everyone who's helped and made suggestions re the USB stick in IS300h. Following on from my last message, I can confirm that deleting the 'security' software from the Sandisk Cruzerblade doesn't affect its working and it seems to be analysed quicker by the car's audio system. Thanks again all for your help. Incidentally, these devices are currently very cheap in Tesco and fit with lots of clearance into the limited space in the IS.

Chris

• 1 month later...

I raised a query with Lexus regards my CT a couple of years ago.  The file size is also  important.  When ripping tracks from CD for instance the higher the quality the more time it takes to load.  When its a few albums its not an issue but a 16GB stick full of 320kbps takes longer.  Have a look at the tracks you are playing and see what size they are.  DBpoweramp is probably the best ripper/converter around if you feel like trying the to reduce them a bit as it allows batch conversion. 

Hello, and thanks for your comments. Yes, I'm aware of such things as file sizes etc. Unfortunately (as a retired pro musician/engineer) I find mp3 files at the best of times a bit of a compromise, so I do try and keep them around 250kbps. I took the advice of others on this forum and removed the Cruzer Blade's own software, and this seems to have helped; in addition, I've also gone from using bigger USB memory sticks to two 8gb (one in each socket) and even interchanging with my old iPod nano (8gb). These steps too have helped enormously. But thanks again for your help; much appreciated.

Chris 

About file format, Chris, if you don't like mp3 you could experiment other formats, wma or similar, on manual there is a list of all supported ones, may be that some give a better sound.

Hi Zotto, and thanks for the suggestion; it's worth a try perhaps, though (under studio conditions) I never thought there was that much to choose between wma and mp3. I think AAC is probably very slightly better, but an mp3 file at 250 or 320 kbps which will play on anything anywhere is probably as good as it gets. I'm now 68 years old, and even on my studio monitors and high end amp etc, it's a close run thing between 320kbps and the original CD.  But it's also the case now of course, that most stuff bought online (other than itunes) is mp3 (amazon I think is 250kbps). Once a limit like this is set, there's no way of 'improving' the quality (though we can tinker about with eq and stereo width etc). The two 8gb Cruzer Blades are doing a fine job at the moment; all classical and jazz on one, all pop and other stuff on the other! Although the order they seem to play in is something I need to sort out; I have a batch-file name changer which I think will sort this. Thanks again for your help, and all best...

Chris

Hello Chris, I agree that a mp3 with high sample rate is good; the suggestion (if you like make experiment) to try other audio formats is just for listening the effects of conversion algorithms in audio processor of ML; I suspect that the engineers have considered first the apple standard. Said this, probably the most important factor is a good sampling frequency. Uhm, in another thread I read here, for copyright reasons may be ML can read (even if undocumented) many other formats, using the trick to rename audio files with mp3 or wma o aac; it would be interesting to try with a flac or any other lossless one...

I've just gone through this exercise and bought one of these http://www.ebuyer.com/497213-kingston-64gb-usb-2-0-datatraveler-micro-black-dtmck-64gb also a Kingston 64GB stick.

While my IS read it instantly with around 45GB of files, around half reported UNKNOWN artists which was odd because they were tagged correctly from the PC.

In the end I ran all the files through mp3tag.de and pretty much removed all information apart from ARTIST / ALBUM ARTIST / TRACK / TITLE / ALBUM / GENRE

Works perfectly now, no more UNKNOWN artists so I can use the Voice System to navigate all the music.   System reads it instantly, and I would say the manual BROWSE button lights up around 60 seconds after starting the car, which is fine for me.

I used DBpoweramp to rip or convert all my cds /dowloads.  no issues with tagging using that which is way better than for instance itunes which I found similar issues with tagging. The dual rip function is really useful as well.

Yes, I too, have found that for too many reasons to mention, iTunes is best avoided. Mind you, all apple products get my back up these days and I'm thinking of selling my iPad. My Android phone seems so much friendlier, and lets me do what I like, connect what I like, use different software keyboards etc., etc. The one big plus of most apple gadgets is that they are beautifully designed and often look and feel 'pretty'.

I've not used the program you mentioned but might give it a try. At the moment, I use various things; one of them is Magix Audio Cleaning Lab (which I used in the studio for years). This gives options to mess about with the audio, has good EQ, cleaning and mastering tools, and is easy for exporting into any file type. Of course, it's a 'proper' piece of kit, and as such is not free -  I think from around 40GBP upwards - but this still seems good to me; Sonar and some of the bigger programs I have cost hundreds!.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Chris

• 4 months later...

Hi all, I didn't want to open a new thread and this one seemed the most appropriate for my question (sorry for the hijack).

I'll most probably buy a IS300h with the ML audio system, it seems the system only supports MP3, AAC and WMA. How is this possible with such a high-end system? Shouldn't supporting a codec like FLAC be a no-brainer? How are you supposed to rip your CD's if the best you can do is 320kpbs MP3? Is WAV supported?

I was already amazed that a simple thing as MP3 ID tag isn't supported in my Prius with JBL, but such a limited support in a premium car with a premium audio system is unbelievable. 

Marrat I get your frustration,   there is any easy way to sort out your ripping quandry. DB Poweramp allows tripple ripping into whatever folder you choose. So you can do FLAC, 320 mp3 and a lower versio. I havent tried it but WAV is likely supported but would take to long to load and tags etc rubbish.