Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pls Help Me Fix This - High Pitched Squeak From Engine

what67

from cold, doing full lock left or right to get out of my car park, i get this high pitched squeak. spoke to my "mechanic" he said replace all drive belts. did that. tested it afterwards, no sounds at all. took it for a good drive, 3 point turns, no probs. next day from cold. mr squeak came back, even worst than before. call mechanic, he says i need to buy a alternator tension pulley, for the alternator. and guess what he wants to charge me again..

i kinda feel like its the dodgy plumber story. boiler leaking, call plumber, they fix it but tamper with some other pipe, so when it goes wrong who do you call. typical london tradesman trick..

i manually checked the tension of all 3 belts. the alternator belt is esp. tight. other 2 have good slackness but still tight. i think he over tightened the pulley, there is a long bolt where you can raise it up or down to get the tension correct i think. im no expert.

mechanic is saying i can come down and loosen it. its just one bolt. but you may as well buy a pulley..which is £35 and his call out fee £50 inc labour.

thoughts? anyone had similar problem?

im tempted to just slacken off the bolt my self, but im no expert...??? makes sense to me from cold it squeaks because it too tight then when warm belt expands a tiny amount and no squeaks. so belt must be too tight. i could be wrong?

should i buy the pulley and get it changed, looks fine to me. hasnt been changed for good long time...

Well then get 2nd opinion belts might b ok could b pully that is faulty normally put ur thumb on belts u will know how tight it is if u can't push with ur thumb it's too tight or try spraying wd40 and test it its very hard to find trusted garage these days unless it's been recommended good luck

Rob, I get from your post your no expert! You're mechanic seems to be a member of that same club.

Try some diluted washing up liquid sprayed on the suspect part, if it stops you've usually found the culprit.

Check the power steering fluid is topped up.

A friend with a series one LS had this problem, dealer changed the belt idler still squeeked.

Topped up the fluid whilst engine running [and squeeking] went quiet, was OK thereafter!

interesting...topped it up with?

squeaking sound only comes from stering

No offence meant, but from that reply you need to find a garage/mechanic you can trust.

Please do not get under the bonnet with a spanner.

• 4 weeks later...

My friend had that problem. He took the wind guard things off the front wheels. Don't know why but it worked. (Sounds like 2 really heavy metal girders sliding past each other)

Update,,

I just had a problem with my power steering pump.same symptoms.find a replacement if you can