Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I Have Joined The Lexus!

PUKU

Hello everyone. I am Chuck and just bought a RX300, although a very old one by todays standards nevertheless a one owner and low mileage job.

Reading up on these cars there seems to be an inherent problem with the computer side of modern cars and Lexus doesn't escape. The mechanicals work fine and it runs like a dream but Oh! those sensors!

After a diagnostic visit to a local Lexus dealer I have been informed that VSC and engine management lights are common (You would have thought that it could have been sorted by now) and the sensor at BANK 2 is the culprit. Now the chap at the dealership is a modern quick fast-draw type that gabbles on 60 to dozen but I did mange to digest momentary, the diagram of the offending part.

Am I correct in thinking that the Oxygen sensor (#L89467-48011) is the one clearly visible on the exhaust pipe right up front (nearest Grill). It would appear that there are three to choose from!

I see these sensors are available from the USA at around $50 and as I deal with America on a regular basis I have no problem buying from there, I assume the part numbers are the same!

As you may have gathered I am Old-School and after a career of charging around the country-side here and mainland Europe in new(ish) cars and just dumping the car in for service each month (at 60-70K miles per year service intervals were that quick around) I am on a steep learning curve. My other cars are pre 1960's and the nearest thing to a computer on my old Rovers are light-bulbs!

Any thoughts or pointer would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

IIRC bank 2 is the passenger side of the engine and sensor 1 is the pre cat or upper of the 2 sensors so as you say nearest the front grille.

The part number you quote I can confirm is correct for that part, price is 273.00 Euros from Lexus so I would do as you suggest and buy from the USA.

The diagram below shows the sensor (89467B) and the wiring loom to the plug at the rear of the engine.

post-12144-0-05458600-1452933406_thumb.p

My! that was quick ....

Many thanks for the information, you have confirmed my thoughts, thank you.

Out of interest is here any issues regarding changing/replacing the sensor? Does the computer need to know it is different? I ask because one of our truck drivers was caught out with a failed brake light - the computer had to be recoded, or whatever, telling it the light bulb had been changed!

As you may have gathered I have little time for computers ....

.In fact it is a 1963 P5 3 litre Coupe'; one of the first few Coupe's made in the first production year 1963. The photo was taken at the New Year Day run from Sturminster Newton, Dorset.

I also tow a similar age Cheltenham PUKU caravan with it!

Thank you for your interest

• Like 1

Hi Chuck and welcome to the LOC, we are a
friendly bunch and some of us even know how to pull them to bits and
put them back together again, with of course the one bolt and washer
left over.

Love the Rover a true classic of our times.

We recommend you spend a couple of mins
looking over the rules of the LOC, we will be asking questions later.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/terms-conditions/

Regards Mike.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links