Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Keys!

JoeLanger

Hi Guys,

Bought my 2004 IS300 just before xmas, noticed the key started getting a bit dodgy. then it broke while I was at home, so I though 'no problem I have a spare!' put that in turned it and it sheared straight off!!!

seen you can get replacement off eBay easy enough, looks like my keys are eBay replacements already.

was just wondering if there was a permanent solution to this as it looks like an obvious common fault. I was thinking along the lines of someone making an all metal one or something, instead of flimsy plastic? must be something alternative out there!

I've seen the "flip" type keys where the blade folds into the plastic part but like non genuine replacements quality again may be the issue.

The keys can't be all metal as the transmitter inside would be screened so wouldn't work.

Obviously Lexus sell the keys but make sure you are sitting down before you ask the price.

Hi Guys,

Bought my 2004 IS300 just before xmas, noticed the key started getting a bit dodgy. then it broke while I was at home, so I though 'no problem I have a spare!' put that in turned it and it sheared straight off!!!

seen you can get replacement off ebay easy enough, looks like my keys are ebay replacements already.

was just wondering if there was a permanent solution to this as it looks like an obvious common fault. I was thinking along the lines of someone making an all metal one or something, instead of flimsy plastic? must be something alternative out there!

I don't think that this is a common fault. Is it the "key getting dodgy" or is it more to do with the ignition barrel itself? Which part is the "flimsy plastic".

1 guy from parts at a Lexus dealership in USA showing you how keys can be sorted does not really mean that there is a big problem. It was the guy not the dealership and certainly not Lexus themselves. After nearly 14 years of owning Lexus with that type of key I can honestly say I have not had any issues and have not really noticed anything other than occasional threads on this issue. My cars have been sold with 3 original keys undamaged and I know other owners who have not had problems. Whilst keys do get damaged/broken it is often through misuse and damage to them whilst not in the car and is not restricted to the marque.

Dave,

Mr. Ellis has gone to the trouble of making the video, I would think with the dealerships blessing, bearing in mind he mention them and has his badge in full view, because of a wild idea that came to him one night after a beer? I don't think so.

I would argue that the video was made in response to a perceived problem that he explained in the video. I don't think it matters whether the keys are junk or they get mistreated, there seems to be an issue.

As for your anecdotal account Dave I don't think that is relevant.

1 guy from parts at a Lexus dealership in USA showing you how keys can be sorted does not really mean that there is a big problem. It was the guy not the dealership and certainly not Lexus themselves. After nearly 14 years of owning Lexus with that type of key I can honestly say I have not had any issues and have not really noticed anything other than occasional threads on this issue. My cars have been sold with 3 original keys undamaged and I know other owners who have not had problems. Whilst keys do get damaged/broken it is often through misuse and damage to them whilst not in the car and is not restricted to the marque.

Dude, both my keys are unbranded ie been replaced before, I've owned many different types of key, I would say I'm pretty good at using them... two have broke within less than a month of ownership! one didn't even do one turn in the ignition!

regardless of whether it's an issue or not (which if it happens twice then it kind of is), does no-one make or have ever made uprated 'unbreakable' replacements, I come from the Mazda RX7 world and lots of normal interior parts have an 'unbreakable' aftermarket counter part, would guess its similar in Toyota/Lexus world?

Dude????

I didn't say that you were maybe careless with the keys did I? If they were both replacement keys then a previous owner has either lost or broken keys when they owned the car. For 2 to break inside under a month does indicate previous misuse. Scan this forum carefully and see how many posts are in relation to your issues compared to owner numbers and it is clearly no more a prevalent matter with Lexus than any other marque. As for unbreakable keys I think that they might be somewhat impossible to source.

Joseph,

Could you get a new key cut at your local shop, full steel key and use the shell on the keys fob to open the car.

If you could the transponders signal would be read by the car while attached to the key ring.

It's just a suggestion, I don't know what your key is like, mine is a proximity fob.