Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Approved Used Lexus - Exhaust

Harpreet

Hello

I am new to the forum. I bought an approved used is250 with extended warranty on 20 Nov 2015. I have only driven the car for 400 miles and today noticed that exhaust is blowing. I am not sure if it is the middle or rear section. The car was MOT'ed on 20 Nov by Lexus Bolton at the time of delivery. There are no advisories on certificate.

I would not expect this issue to happen in such a short period of time. During this period the car was not driven for three weeks (22 nov to 14 dec) due to holidays. Seems like Lexus did not check the exhaust system properly during their inspection and MOT. The car had full service done before delivery and has full service history by Bolton.

I am just wondering what are my options here? Surely the new exhaust is about 2000 GBP fitted. 

Any help/suggestions will be helpful

Thanks

Hello

I am trying to get in touch with dealer. Its Lexus Bolton and I live in Aberdeen. Lexus UK advised to take the car to Lexus centre Aberdeen ( Arnold Clark Toyota) but I will speak to Bolton first. 

Hi Harpreet and welcome to the LOC, we are a friendly bunch and some of us even know how to pull them to bits and put them back together again, with of course the one bolt and washer left over.

I cant help with your present queries but I'm sure someone will be along ASAP.

We recommend you spend a couple of mins looking over the rules of the LOC, we will be asking questions later

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/terms-conditions/

Regards Mike.

Thanks Bluesman

Update on Exhaust - Took it to Lexus Aberdeen today and they found out it's blowing at the flange connection of rear and middle section. Obviously Lexus warranty rejected the claim as it is a corrosion issue. The centre rang Lexus Bolton and waiting for them to come back to say whether they will pay for it or not.

I have also contacted them today but obviously they will not be as quick in replying because its not a profit making thing for them. 

Meanwhile I experienced that the car performance has been affected. It is not accelerating as it should - I believe exhaust leak has detrimental effect on the performance. Am i right in thinking?

MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY

When you purchase a new Lexus, you are covered by a highly comprehensive warranty as standard.

• Lasts 3 years or 60,000 miles and covers any mechanical fault - including those caused by a manufacturing defect.
  • Additional 12-year anti-corrosion and perforation warranty.
  • 3 year paintwork and surface rust warranty.
  • For hybrid vehicles, 5-year or 60,000 mile cover for both the hybrid components and the hybrid Battery.

Full details of the warranty can be found in your vehicle’s warranty booklet.
Alternatively please contact your local Lexus Centre for further information.

I would assume its covered under this?!

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY

When you purchase a new Lexus, you are covered by a highly comprehensive warranty as standard.

• Lasts 3 years or 60,000 miles and covers any mechanical fault - including those caused by a manufacturing defect.
  • Additional 12-year anti-corrosion and perforation warranty.
  • 3 year paintwork and surface rust warranty.
  • For hybrid vehicles, 5-year or 60,000 mile cover for both the hybrid components and the hybrid battery.

Full details of the warranty can be found in your vehicle’s warranty booklet.
Alternatively please contact your local Lexus Centre for further information.

I would assume its covered under this?!

Just realised something.

Next door neighbour has a five year warranty on his new Toyota Verso, yet the same manufacturer only gives three years on a supposedly superior product,

Something not right there surely.

For some reason exhaust corrosion is not covered under this perforation warranty sadly. 

I really think that its Lexus Bolton's fault for not checking/replacing it under approved used programme. 

Hoping to hear from them today if not then will get it repaired from exhaust speciallist in Aberdeen (Wallace). 

Given the time that you have had the car and the low mileage you have covered I would think that it would be covered under Sale of Goods Act. You may find that Bolton service will say not covered by warranty and any claim under S of G Act would probably be referred to their sales dept. Either way you should be covered.

• Like 1

Thank you Dave1 for suggestion. 

Pain is that it has already been a week and I am no where near of sorting it out. The car's performance is affected as well. Hope Lexus Bolton replies today. If not I will need to get it done next week. 

Meanwhile Lexus Aberdeen has posted me picture of the leak. This certainly would have developed in two months period. 

Regards

image.jpeg

That looks as if it has been previously "repaired". Look at the signs of white repair paste around the pipe/box joint. Lexus Bolton should be replacing the box as it was obviously substandard when you purchased it. As a used approved that should have been picked up on the inspection and service. Amazed that the MOT did not pick it up and issue advisory at very least. Was MOT done by Lexus Bolton themselves or did they take it elsewhere? Armed with that photo you appear to have a cast iron claim against the dealer..........with or without warranty cover they are liable for either fixing it or paying for it to be done elsewhere. 

Don't let them fob you off. If they get away with things like this they will continue trying it on. I would also contact Lexus UK with details and the photo.

Lexus Aberdeen could always approach Bolton to back you up.

• Like 1

Completely agree with you on this one. I have emailed them the picture and waiting for them to come back. If they dont reply today I will take it to Lexus UK. They already are aware of the issue. 

Regards

As expected, Lexus Bolton did not call. I called them and they informed that they are working on it. Escalated the issue to Lexus UK customer relations. hope to hear from them early next week

Shall I try to get the cost of repair/replacement from Lexus Bolton/UK?

Wallace Aberdeen quoted 120 for new pipe after box and 300 for cat back middle section with box - stainless steel

Put something in writing/email with details of your many phone conversations first  and request their immediate attention as this is affecting your car and could cause further damage. At the end of the day it seems that the pre-approved inspection was somewhat sloppy and the car was sold with an obvious repair to the exhaust shown by the whitish grey paste. Under Sale of Goods Act they are liable for rectification of the fault and the obvious course of action would be to allow Aberdeen to do the work and invoice Bolton.

It would be best to send your email with full details to the dealer principle and copy to Lexus UK. It might also be worth giving trading standards a call too. To be expected to pay £420 on an item which should have been picked up is ludicrous when you have owned the car for such a short time and completed so few miles.

• Like 2

Having just looked at the Lexus.co.uk website I discovered the following which is the final paragraph detailing the Lexus Used Approved Warranty.

All Approved Pre-Owned Lexus Car warranties include wear and tear cover for batteries, exhausts and wiper blades for three months or 3,000 miles.

You say you purchased in November so the exhaust is actually covered according to Lexus UK so I fail to see how Bolton can dispute this.

• Like 1

Thanks Dave

this means Lexus warranty should have accepted the claim at first place. Lexus Bolton are turning a blind eye to this one. Havent heard from them. Going to write them today again with copy to Lexus UK and possibly RRG group as well. 

Do you have email id's I should be using for Lexus Uk?

regards

harpreet

18 minutes ago, Harpreet said:

Thanks Dave

this means Lexus warranty should have accepted the claim at first place. Lexus Bolton are turning a blind eye to this one. Havent heard from them. Going to write them today again with copy to Lexus UK and possibly RRG group as well. 

Do you have email id's I should be using for Lexus Uk?

regards

harpreet

http://www.lexus.co.uk/#Introduction

I would go into Lexus Aberdeen and point out the warranty cover and hopefully they will then sort things out for you....they don't pay for it as they invoice the warranty provider. I am assuming of course that the car was purchased as a lexus approved used car.

12 minutes ago, PCM said:

Doesn't sound like they (Lexus) are doing themselves any favours - as they will undoubtedly need to fix it - properly.

Is it just me that I can't seem to reply to a post without quoting another post?

Looking at the damage it doesn't look like a corrosion issue that has caused the hole/slit in the pipe, the edges looked jaggered as if it has possibly been struck by something. The evidence in the photograph of exhaust sealant are clear to see confirming it has been bodged and this has now fallen off.

The 3 month warranty is valid for this claim so don't let them put you off, if Bolton fail to respond again send a written complaint in with the photograph and any other relative information by recorded delivery, explain what you would like done to resolve the issue and give them a reasonable timescale to carry out this work.

Obviously this would have to be done at a dealer nearer to your home so also request this.

Also mention the matter has become public on this forum which reflects badly on Lexus.

http://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/?_ga=1.36106279.689045634.1454230426

When page opens scroll down until warranties shows on left hand side. at bottom of warranties it says more so click on more.

It should also be in your warranty pack with the car documents.

If you cant see from link let me know and I will try to copy/paste more

APPROVED PRE-OWNED BENEFITS

WARRANTY

The Lexus Warranty is designed to give the reassurance that you would expect when buying an Approved Pre-Owned Lexus.

It is important to note that each Lexus Centre has to adhere to key guidelines to ensure you receive the best possible information when purchasing an Approved Pre-Owned only from Lexus.

All Approved Pre-Owned Lexus vehicles are supplied complete with one year's manufacturer's equivalent warranty with unlimited mileage cover. All vehicles with less than a full year of manufacturer's warranty remaining will require a Mandatory Warranty to be applied for. Vehicles under 60,000 miles and with a full year of manufacturer's warranty remaining do not require a Mandatory Warranty to be applied. Your local Lexus Centre will arrange all this for you. Any Lexus vehicles regardless of age or mileage qualify.

All Approved Pre-Owned Lexus Car Warranties have the same level of cover as the Lexus new vehicle warranty, with the exception of batteries, interior trim and corroded exhausts. The exact level of cover is detailed on the reverse of the warranty application form and also within your handover pack you receive when purchasing your vehicle.

All Approved Pre-Owned Lexus Car warranties include wear and tear cover for batteries, exhausts and wiper blades for three months or 3,000 miles.

• Like 1