Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clutch Problem

GregB

Hi there Folks!!! I have a 2006 IS250 Manual  with 58 K on the clock. The recent problem is that i can feel the clutch engagement point to be higher and higher on the clutch pedal. At the moment it is very very close to the end of the pedal travel, but the clutch is not slipping yet. It gives a bumpy ride when starting or shifting gears, and it is quite uncomfy as well. At first I thought that the clutch kit is wearing out, i bought the vehicle from a dealer, but as i have all the previous bills and MOT-s and all related stuff and the miles match up exactly to the service book, i think the mileage is genuine. Is it possible that the clutch is going after just 58K??? Is there any way to adjust the engagement point??? Could be the hydraulic cylinder??? PLEASE HELP ME.

The clutch is hydraulically operated so there will be no adjustment for the bite point, does sound like a worn clutch plate.

Just because it has only covered 58,000 miles doesn't mean the clutch should still be good, if you or a previous owner qre/was a "clutch rider" it will wear much faster.

• Like 1

I would ring a few local trusted garages and get some quotes to compare,mine has the labour times quoted from Autodata, I would guess with the correct tools the job would take 4-6 hours at whatever their labour rate is per hour ( for comparison I think Lexus charger £125.00/hour mine charges £50.00). Obviously price will also depend on if you chose to use OEM Lexus/Toyota parts but pretty sure there will be OEM quality aftermarket ones from the likes of Bork and Beck or Sachs, it may be worth checking out Eurocarparts for prices.

Another concern is if the car is fitted with a DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) which may be an additional cost if it is also defective.

• Like 1

We had ours changed before Christmas. 75k. Clutch was never brilliant and we bought the car at 45k. Clutch plate was to the rivets but only slipping in 3rd and 4th under load.

£650 for the complete job. Has made a big difference to pulling away. Always juddered unless in was 2k plus revs but now is a lot smoother.

• Like 1

Happy to hear that, Looks like the factory fitted kit is not the best You can get... I hate the judder.....i will wait until it slips and I will get it changed. Can You please tell me the brand of Your new kit?

Unless I am reading it wrong, my Lexus manual says that all the manual transmission cars have dual mass flywheels?

If that is the case, then it should be changed along with the clutch, shouldn't it?

I think your right in saying they have dual mass flywheels. The garage inspected the flywheel when the box was out of the way to put the clutch in and said it was okay, didn't seem to have any wear / no need to change. Haven't had any problems from not replacing it.

• Like 1