Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MOT Fail on Parking Brake efficiency

Deet27

Replaced my rear shoes last week as the Parking Brake has never been much use and as you can just put the car in Park was never concerned, But with the MOT due felt that it was about time to sort out. Car failed today on Parking Brake Efficiency 11% instead of 16%

I thought that maybe I had adjusted it incorrectly and with me readjusting I got it checked out prior to re-booking MOT.  It would have failed again.

One thing that I have noticed is that the Parking Brake Pedal is very hard to push to the bottom but goes all the way (It is fine to start with, taking up the slack) and I have had to tighten the adjustment completely up to take up the slack.(seems odd thought that would of been the opposite with new shoes?)

What I have done so far:-

• Replaced Shoes, Cleaning as I go and using Brake grease on the contact points
  • Adjusted at the disc so will not move and back off adjustment 8 notches
  • Adjusted Parking brake Pedal to take up slack
  • Checked the cable equalizer(if that is the correct name, where the front cable joins the two rear cables) 

My gut feeling is that it is the rear brake cables sticking or maybe the brake drum run-out don't know until i check it tomorrow.

Looking a bit of advise or Any insights into common problems with the Parking Brakes

Regards Deet

• 3 weeks later...

In my experience 3-5 back off turns is the sweet spot for slackening.

With the pedal being stiff and inefficient, most likely to be a cable seized from the splitter to the rear of one of the drums.

jack the car up with wheels on and parking brake fully applied. Using a lot of turning force on both sides and see if one of the wheels turns. If it turns, it's most likely to be that side. Check condition of cable from drum to splitter and see if there is any sign of external casing deterioration. Remove cable and check for seizing (easier said than done!).

Thanks for the reply, Got it sorted the other week just did not get the time to reply to my own post.

It was the Handbrake cables had seized at the Brake back plate and the Casing had separated. It seems that the alloy had oxidized.

A heads up to anyone looking to replace the handbrake cables, Order 91611-G0612 x4 as these bolts sheared off.  

2016-02-16 19.19.43.jpg