Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anyone fitted an reverse camera onto the is300h?

Has anyone fitted a reverse camera into a IS300h at all? I know quite a lot of them comes as standard but mine came without and I was mislead by the dealer that it can be an optional extra however when I enquired they said it's got to be factory built and told me to go aftermarket. Anyone knows if there is any that is almost like OEM quality and actually shows on the factory screen when reverse is selected? Anyone can point me to a good trader?

Yes auto dimming mirror is equipped, but I was looking more of an OEM finish, there is a place in Cheltenham that can do it but that's seems too far from me and its costing close to £500, I guess there must be cheaper sources, anyone else?

2 hours ago, wongerico said:

Yes auto dimming mirror is equipped, but I was looking more of an OEM finish, there is a place in Cheltenham that can do it but that's seems too far from me and its costing close to £500, I guess there must be cheaper sources, anyone else?

You could always take the car back and demand money back as they've just lied to make a sale.

A colleague of mine bought a car that was advertised as having ABS but it didnt, he complained and they replaced it with a higher spec version at no cost to him.

Ed:wink3:

I had one fitted to my Executive 300h when I purchased it new from Lexus Coventry. It is not an OEM camera and was fitted by a third party who also supplied the hardware, it is wired directly into the screen and comes on when reverse is selected.

Not as elegant as the Factory fit option but does the job nicely. 

WP_20150719_20_39_05_Pro_(2).jpg

It's not been advertised with a camera on, but was kind of mislead by sales that it can be an option, and to argue to swap vehicle is going to be an long battle up to Lexus UK.

how much did the camera cost at the third party?

If it is possible to fit a third party type then you could obtain the original parts off a scrapped Is300. There is at least one Fsport being broken on eBay. I would rather do this than fit a non standard part. It is quite possibly plug & play to.

Ed.

,Cost £300 fitted, I think Lexus Coventry just passed on the third parties charges, as it was not using genuine parts or being fitted by their technicians, just provided the guy with somewhere on their premises to fit it. At the time of purchase the only way to get a reversing camera was to add or get a car  with the Premium navigation package  adding a lot more to vehicle cost. 

I believe they do run a signal cable from boot lid  to  the screen, I think the camera has to be NTSC type as well and tap into reversing light circuit as well. Fitting takes a few hours to complete

I have seen similar ones on eBay since, which come as a kit with cables etc included, you can also buy one built in to a replacement number plate light for certain Lexus / Toyota models from counties outside the UK.

The OEM camera on IS300h  look identical to those fitted by Toyota (wife has a yaris hybrid with a factory fitted one) so that could be another option-  need someone with access to the parts list for Lexus / Toyota to confirm this.

Hope this helps

Thanks for that! Would that not void the warranty as this is not genuine approved product? Don't get me wrong it's very unlikely to go wrong but I was thinking more like if anything else went wrong will they say you have interfere with the car using non genuine parts

I had the camera included in the price of the car on the order form, Lexus Coventry arranged the fitting for me,

It did have a problem after a few months when the camera signal was lost, they arranged for the contractor to return and gave me a loan car for a day while it was sorted out; when I got it back the distance lines on the display had also been enabled (fixed lines , not like the guide lines that turn with the steering wheel on OEM camera) which is a useful addition

Yes certainly in my case  normal warranty conditions apply as it was supplied to me on a new vehicle, I think it is treated as a fitted accessory.

What would happen if you had it fitted to a vehicle not originally supplied by them you would need to check with them, I would think if they arranged and supervised it being fitted  you should be OK - give them a ring

I have asked the question in Lexus Bolton and they couldn't really answer my question for certain. I ask why installing a plug and play Tom's throttle controller will invalidate the warranty but installing an non-approved reverse camera that requires hard wiring does not. I did say Tom's is like an official tuning development for Toyota Lexus, which has sent them head scratching. It's a bit controversial 

On 1 February 2016 at 8:40 PM, wongerico said:

I did say Tom's is like an official tuning development for Toyota Lexus,

No it's not. Official tuning organisation for Toyota is TRD (Toyota Racing Development)