Recommended Posts

Been getting 3 lines across my windscreen on the drivers side recently. The drivers side wiper also squeaks if there is a slight mist whereas the passenger side one is fine.

When looking at the glass it looks like this in the rain (except with only 3 lines):

Denso%20narrow%20streaks%20Nov%202012.jp

 

Now OK I thought, needs a new wiper. Well hey ho, I bought a refill and it does the same thing.

How do I get rid of this? Its like something is dragging along the 3 lines even though the wipers are clean.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Rayann,

                 Some years ago I had a similar unfathomable problem with the wipers on my Volvo V70.   A process of elimination brought me to the tension of the wiper arm against the screen.   No reason why it should have changed, it just did !   Took it all off, cleaned it up and re-assembled, (with a new blade,) and all was well.   Just a thought .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same problem, two or three water tramlines across the screen on my 2003 RX300 (Mk2).

Tried new blades, used slightly abrasive windscreen cleaner - still the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, chesterman said:

Hi Rayann,

                 Some years ago I had a similar unfathomable problem with the wipers on my Volvo V70.   A process of elimination brought me to the tension of the wiper arm against the screen.   No reason why it should have changed, it just did !   Took it all off, cleaned it up and re-assembled, (with a new blade,) and all was well.   Just a thought .

It must be the tension as it squeaks in light rain like its got too much pressure on the glass on the drivers side. I don't feel confident enough to go removing it but when I wash it I'll try and see where the problem lies and if there is any noticeable difference in tension on the drivers side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Rayann, is your wiper arm of the metal variety?

I swapped mine to the Bosch aero style that is flat which means unclipping the wiper blade and metal support from the top of the wiper arm on my 53 plate RX a year ago and smooth sailing since! Was fairly cheap and took a minute for each wiper to swap!

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also think it is tension related. Have you noticed if your problem appearing coincided with a sudden drop / rise in temperature?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ChrisKaye said:

Hi Rayann, is your wiper arm of the metal variety?

I swapped mine to the Bosch aero style that is flat which means unclipping the wiper blade and metal support from the top of the wiper arm on my 53 plate RX a year ago and smooth sailing since! Was fairly cheap and took a minute for each wiper to swap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the wiper arm itself is the metal variety with the standard hook. The blade itself is the OEM hybrid blade

49 minutes ago, DanD said:

I also think it is tension related. Have you noticed if your problem appearing coincided with a sudden drop / rise in temperature?

It on and off, lower temperature does seem to make it worse though and much more noticeable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an update - think Ive found the issue.

The arm is not bent, neither is the blade or anything wrong with the refill fitment.

I only realised this today when my son pointed it out - the left side wiper is leaving the dreaded "curtain lace" behind. Of course, this means the left wiper needs changing and I have ordered the refill so will fit that.

BUT, for the eagle eyes among you, you'll notice that the rain sensor is on the LEFT side of the windscreen where the left wiper runs. So, due to this curtain lace effect, it thinks that the rain is there even though the driver's side is pretty clean leading to the wipers going off to clear the windscreen more frequently than they should be and hence, it runs through the rain X really quick on the drivers side!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.