Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

12 Volt Power supply in Boot (IS300h)

Has anyone fitted (or had fitted) a 12v outlet in the Boot Space - Supply to be Ignition controlled (not a permanent supply)!

Reason: Wish to fit Rear Dash Cam and don't want to run long cable through car interior to centre Console!

Any advice welcome.

You can run a cable to the front fairly easily, tuck it down the back of the door weathers strips and B pillar trim. Took me about 20 mins to have it completely hidden. Also I've wired mine up thru a power monitor which will cut the power at a preset voltage to protect the 12v Battery.

My idea was to pick up an ignition controlled supply from 'within the boot area (if possible)' - This would feed the rear Camera.

The front Camera would be powered from the front power outlet.

Looks like I will have to visit my Dealer and get this checked out!

Uhm, may be it is switched from negative side; if so. you have to insulate the negative  output of cam  with a proper condenser, let's say a 0.5 microFarad or superior.

Sorry Zotto,

I think we are at cross purposes for what I am trying to find out!!

Question: Does anyone know If there is a 12Volt 'Ignition controlled supply' anywhere in the Boot/Boot Lid Area, which I could tap in to - 'TO ADD' a 12 Volt Power Outlet (Same as in the front Console area) to fit somewhere in the Boot Area??

I can't think of one, but as Colin said, there's lots of trim to tuck the cable behind.  My front dash cam takes power from the armrest socket, with the cable totally hidden.  I have been thinking of using a double socket adaptor in the armrest point, and using this as the power for a rear facing camera.

My question though, is what camera, an how/where to mount it, if I can do a partial thread hijack.

12 hours ago, baxlin said:

I can't think of one, but as Colin said, there's lots of trim to tuck the cable behind.  My front dash cam takes power from the armrest socket, with the cable totally hidden.  I have been thinking of using a double socket adaptor in the armrest point, and using this as the power for a rear facing camera.

My question though, is what camera, an how/where to mount it, if I can do a partial thread hijack.

Thank you Tony & Malcolm for your inputs.

TONY: The boot light does have a permanent 12V feed to it, 'BUT' I don't think this would be suitable for a rear Dash Cam as it would power the dash cam continuously, and run down the Battery when Ignition was off!!

COLIN: Can you tell me the route that the cable feed to your front dash cam takes? Does it run down within the front left or right Pillar (were the Curtain Air Bags are, I believe)?

What make of camera did you install, has it been reliable?

I am also going to add a double socket adaptor in the front console (for front Dash cam + iPod) - this is one I have been looking at.

available at Screwfix! - 'Ring 8A Twin Multisocket with Battery Analyser 12V' - Product Code 74820

take a feed from your power socket in the certre console.

remove the base of the rear seat and take the cables under the carpet and under the back seat

you are now in the boot area mount the socket where you need it.

jobs done

Robin, I fitted a Blackvue DR650 in mine with the rear camera fitted at the top centre of the glass. The cable was tucked under the head cloth along to the LHR roof pillar, down the back of the rear door weatherstrip and tucked in behind the trim on the B pillar, again tucked under the front door weatherstrip and then across to the underside of the dash. There is a panel below the glovebox that pops of easily and let's you get to the fuse box, although you need to be a double jointed contortionist to get your head in a position to see it. All in all, it's very easy and the only place you can see any of the cable is if you open the pax door fully and its visible for about an inch or two.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links