Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

fitting a USB port in lexus is250 2007 2008 2009

Hi guys

has anyone tried making their sat nav support USB input to read flash disk? 

Saw a YouTube video where it shows back of a sat nav. and you can see a grey connector. I have marked it in red circle.

and on eBay I can fine a cable that I think will fit in that grey connector. What do you guys think?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Female-Adapter-Cable-for-Up-2012-Toyota-Lexus-Radio-or-Navigation-Systems-/261795250189?nav=SEARCH

2016-02-04 22.17.16.png

Would be a good find but looking at the eBay listing it states its not compatible with the 2007 model year if you put your details in.

It may be worth taking the unit off and seeing if the socket is there on this model and if so giving it a go. The unit comes out quite easy. If I can remember correctly its 4 clips in the centre air vent and 4 screws in the centre head unit itself. You will also need to remove the two silver edging strips from the gear selector area.

it's mark levin. the grey connector was already connected which I disconnected to show. 

I do not have a USB in arm rest. 09 L reverse light SEL side mirror lights. 

So my question is, will Toyota tell me the pin out info for this sat nav ? 

I don't know where the cable goes. It just went towards the glove box.

And we will need to know complete pin out of the sat nav. Then one can know there is a USB possibility. 

Just to give some hope: I have a mazda which doesn't have USB from factory but the head unit does have pin outs for it. So I am hoping lexus might have something similar.

We have figured out that the Gen 2 doesn't have usb, the grey connector is for GPS, I remember this connector last year when I had my unit out.

It doesn't matter what the rear of the face lifts looks like, I think they have hard disk and usb in the center rest so who cares what connectors are on the back?

toffee 

Trying to figure out if one can retrofit a USB interface to Gen 2. 

The exercise wa's to see if there is a possibility that gen 2 supports USB interface I. e. connections are there but not fitted.

So the gen 3 have a hard disk in arm rest ? How is that interfaced to the sat nav ?

Hmm... trying to understand how that will work. Traditionally, the head unit has interface for USB. That because the head unit has the micro controller. And in case of the mazda, I found it out as I saw the differential lines on the schematics that mazda shared with me.

So essentially I am looking for differential pair lines. So my next question is, which connectors emerge from this hard disk. How can I find it out and it's pin out. 

Thanks.

Just to add a bit more to the pot of uncertainty!!

Mine is a 59 plate (Feb 2010) - SEL MM/ML - I have Mark Levinson music system - I have HDD Sat Nav - USB in the armrest cubby

Also have 18" 5 spoke wheels - Rear Sun Blind - Indicators in the Door Mirrors - L shaped Reversing Lights

It was thus from purchase