Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm considering upgrading my LS430 to an LS460 SE.

Currently I connect my android phone to the car audio system via a cassette adapter so I can play music stored on the phone.

This arrangement is a bit primitive but it does work. The 460 has no cassette player.

I've assumed that in the 460 there would be an interface if only an aux input. I understand that some later cars have a disc/aux button but earlier ones just have disc. Does the former go with a 3.5 mm jack in the console and the latter mean there's no socket fitted? Was there an upgrade linked to model year or is it the SE spec?

Alternatively what options are there for a full aftermarket fitting of a system that would give track selection though the screen and hands free phone use for android?

Hope some knowledgeable forum members can help 😊

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter and welcome,

I bought a LS460 last October, a 2007 model.  Like you I was a bit surprised that there was no interface for my ipod unlike later models which has a socket to plug in a Iphone and the like.   I prefer to listen to my music via the ipod kit which I fitted in an hour.  The internet company I bought the kit from is called Xcarlink and the kit cost £104 including a separate Y harness that LS models need if you want to retain the use of your in dash CD player.  I did a post on it a month or so ago.   The in dash audio needs to come out which is very easy to remove, don't try removing it without going in to You Tube and type in "Audio removal LS 460  for repair". You will be surprised how simply it is without risking any damage to trim etc.

The photos show the unit and Y harness and you can order one with the additional   Iphone function so the music you have on your Iphone will play normally.  You will need to select the unit as a 2003 onwards so the correct 12 pin block terminal is sent as part of the kit. 

Regards

Steve

ipod kit picture.png

Y harness for ipod kit.png

Toyota-connector[1].jpg

Thanks for that Steve. I expect there are also android versions of the kit that you bought. I'll look into that. By the way, does the box live in the centre console?

I might yet buy a later model that I believe would give me the audio input and forego the complete connection that you have achieved. It will depend on what is available at the time.

I remain a bit surprised that these initially very expensive cars are not better equipped in this area for the model years involved 😕

Regards

Peter

Hi Pete, yes the kit I bought was to use my ipod nano, I have no need for the extra function which comes in the slightly more expensive versions on offer at Xcarlink as I don't use an Iphone or android equivalent.  I have a Bluetooth enabled phone in my car but it is just that a phone without the clever apps etc.   Yes I fitted the box of tricks in the lower portion of the centre console, it's about 3.5 x 2.5 x 1 inches and comes with a bracket and Velcro tape so it can be positioned where and how you want it.  The main lead is long enough to get from the rear of the in dash audio unit to the console.  I fitted the extra Y harness so I didn't lose the use of the 6 disc cd player.  Works perfectly, no hiss or extra suppression required.   Of course none of the above is needed if you buy the LS which has the built in ability to plug an Iphone or android device but I'm not sure when Lexus fitted that function, maybe 2008 or 2009 onwards. 

Cheers

Steve 

001 (4).JPG