Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mark Levenson retrofit?

Can anyone tell me how easy / difficult it is to retrofit the Mark Levenson amp and speakers into my is250 sr?  Is the loam already there and is it a matter of plug and play?

Also - is it worth doing so. I haven't compared to my normal standard system.

Thank you in advance.

I don't have the sat nav yet and I don't know if there's an amp in the back. Where should it be if there is one?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge. Just got the car and I've got the bug!

I am not sure about a matter of fitting everything, but I can clearly state that the difference between ML and "standard" sound system is not worth any struggle.

I originally had F-Sport (2012) with ML, then AWD (2010) with standard system, and when my Lexus service gave me IS Luxury as courtesy car (kind of equivalent to SE-L) with ML - I could not hear any difference at all. My current IS is non-ML (at least I assume), because there is no ML marking anywhere (but there is amp in the back?!).

I guess ML systems are better if you listening at maximum level (65 on mine), but for normal (I have levels between 20-45) you will probably never hear the difference. If you finally want to have some extra sound, it will alway be easier to add sub in the boot.

the crisp punchy  bass and crisp tune.. a music lover can tell. Good music shows it. Has to be quality music and was recorded for 7.1 channel. 

I am reading here a lot people can't differentiate between 2 channel aux input and a 7.1. Just tells they are not bothered about it. It's exactly like buying a 10 quid headphones or a bose 200+  pounds head phones. But for a normal person it's just music.

But then I am a person who spent 2k on music system on one car and installed it myself with a lot of math involved.

• Like 1

The Mark Levinson amp could have more oomph, or Watts but its still a very very good unit itself and it compliments the is250 very well with the speaker array. There is a centre speaker on the Mark Levinson cars - middle of dashboard. If you don't have the speaker you don't have it.

17 minutes ago, jackcramerr said:

Has to be quality music and was recorded for 7.1 channel.

This...

I have used and will use only aux. Previously, have used usb (as my previous IS had it), but still only listened to .mp3 songs (e.g. youtube rips). That said you could probably benefit from ML if you have large collection of great quality CDs. But if you (like many) listen to .mp3 then do not bother.

I often listen to "elevator" music. And heavens... when you hear that each instrument from a speaker at a time ... you feel like in front of the live music. listen to Adele and the girl next to you will cry.

I recall in my teen days,  a few of the girls I knew used to say 'oh your music system does something to our heart' wink wink.

The pounding crisp bass and tunes (not played it loud, enough so you could talk) made them tickle.. lol

So there you go.... Probably I am just a fanatic.

I would probably just say - Standard Lexus audio system is already about as good as it gets. Well above the standard of the class (comparing with 3-series and c-class which I had in between my various IS250's). ML is nice, but I would not call it "day and night" difference if at all. There are obviously will be "fanatics" who will try to prove that that minor note or vibe made all the difference and is worth 3k, but I am not convinced. I guess the best option would be to go to Lexus pretend you interested in the car with ML and listen for yourself if it is really that different "for you" and hence worth all the struggle retrofitting. 

dont think its worth or possible to retro fit, certainly easier to get a car with it from the outset.

It was an optional extra on all IS cars, and being over £3k not every car has it, hence it being rare on used cars.