Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New key and security light flashing

When I got my 1999 LS400 the only key was broken to the point the blade was about to part company from the casing so I had a new one supplied,cut and the guts swapped over.

Putting it in the ignition I noticed the security light remained flashing and of course although the engine turned over it wouldn't start.

Thankfully this had happened before and some kind member of the LOC had posted up the solution, insert the key turn to ACC and leave for 6 minutes.

I did this but the light still continued to flash, I removed the key despairing of ever having the car run again, a little later I reinserted the key and lo and behold the light went out and the car started.

So the missed line was to remove and reinsert the key after 6 minutes.

• Like 3

Steve, glad it got sorted for you. On my 2000 mk4 handbook, on the back, there is a yellow sticker giving advice about starting the car after a Battery disconnection. It might be the same for your 1999 handbook.  Regarding keys, in order to preserve the fob key from falling to bits (happened to me too), I now use the 'solid' spare valet key every time to start my car. It saves the Battery fob from becoming too delapidated  through constant twisting . So long as the fob key (which houses the transponder) is close to the ignition, the 'solid' key will start the car. Keep both of these keys on the same key ring. Result --no more broken transponder key fobs.

• 2 years later...
On 2/15/2016 at 7:39 AM, steve2006 said:

When I got my 1999 LS400 the only key was broken to the point the blade was about to part company from the casing so I had a new one supplied,cut and the guts swapped over.

Hello bruv, I just joined the same club except mine did fall apart, thankfully it happened in the house & not in some other place where the 'key' shaft (metal bit) could/would have fell out whist hanging on my belt loop and got lost without me even knowing it till I got back to car & where ever I was the car would have been stuck there until I got a replacement, in my experience I would say this is very, very serious issue indeed for anyone buying an LS400 with this type 'key' because the metal shaft would simply fall out of the 3 button shell without anyone realizing it!

I am having mine replaced by Lexus edgware rd, 100 quid, the replacement has the metal shaft molded into the shell (with the 3 buttons) as opposed to the seperate part it was in late 1999 when mine went into service..

2 hours ago, dendonc said:

Hello bruv, I just joined the same club except mine did fall apart, thankfully it happened in the house & not in some other place where the 'key' shaft (metal bit) could/would have fell out whist hanging on my belt loop and got lost without me even knowing it till I got back to car & where ever I was the car would have been stuck there until I got a replacement, in my experience I would say this is very, very serious issue indeed for anyone buying an LS400 with this type 'key' because the metal shaft would simply fall out of the 3 button shell without anyone realizing it!

I am having mine replaced by Lexus edgware rd, 100 quid, the replacement has the metal shaft molded into the shell (with the 3 buttons) as opposed to the seperate part it was in late 1999 when mine went into service..

I had the same happen to mine a couple of years ago, I had gone to the village bakers, went in came out went to press the button when I realised half the key was missing, I tracked back to the bakers, no luck so went back to the car looking on the ground and there it was about 3 inches from a drain grid, I was so lucky, I bought a replacement and changed everything over, no problems since. 

The same scenario with the GS300 MK2 I had. I can't remember if the car Battery went flat or it was disconnected for some reason,  but putting the key into the ignition and turning it and waiting for 6 minutes, take it out and then, try which worked.  There was a yellow sticker under the bonnet with these instructions on it. 

5 hours ago, dendonc said:

I am having mine replaced by Lexus edgware rd, 100 quid, 

That's very expensive! 

As long as the electronics are alright, this guy on eBay will supply an empty shell for you to put your own electronics in and also cut the key blade to either the key code if you have it, or if not he'll cut it to a photograph you send him - and all for just £14.60 including delivery. I had one from him for my RX300 and it was excellent.

31 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

As long as the electronics are alright, this guy on eBay will supply an empty shell for you to put your own electronics in and also cut the key blade to either the key code if you have it, or if not he'll cut it to a photograph you send him - and all for just £14.60 including delivery

Good grief, wish I had known about that, although, thinking about it, I doubt I'd have trusted my car to him, maybe now I will find him & try getting a spare key from him, he does exactly what Lexus did with me ie take a photo of my key, your info is very useful, not least because it shows other Lexus models are prone to this problem, I hope these posts help others on a subject matter not often discussed & I just found the guy on eBay as well as others charging average 20 quid.