Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dashcams

Hi all have just joined got my is300h on Friday was looking for a bit of help with dashcam I am buying  1 from Halfords would like to know if any other members  have had 1 fitted .and if so what fuse did you use to enable the cctv motion any comments  would be much appreciated  cheers Joe 

if you can get the cabling back to the centre console you could use the power socket and there is a 3.5mm jack socket

i have read somewhere if you use a 4 pole 3.5mm jack plug video can be sent through the socket to the screen

Dont really see the need for dash cams  - they're abused more than they are used correctly.

Have you seen all the youtube videos with titles like "dashcam stories: idiot drivers" and the like?

Legally you have to put CCTV signs on your property if it looks onto the road which is council owned, therefore, don't see why cars with dash cams shouldnt have "dashcam on board" warnings as theres some right idiots out there who shouldn't have the privelege of recording everything that goes on on the roads.

And if you have one, you have to show your insurance company the footage even if you were at fault! Some insurance companies will hike the price a little bit as its seen as a "stealable item" especially because they arent exactly cheap.

I also do not see the relevance of having dash cams. regardless of how you look at it there were always fool/reckless drivers before dash cams and will always be. ones insurance premiums may rise even if you were not at fault which is known to be pretty much the case if one is unfortunate to be involved in an accident.  and most of the you tube videos are more about idiot drivers than people catching crash for cash fraudsters.

save your money.  

30 minutes ago, noby76 said:

I also do not see the relevance of having dash cams. regardless of how you look at it there were always fool/reckless drivers before dash cams and will always be. ones insurance premiums may rise even if you were not at fault which is known to be pretty much the case if one is unfortunate to be involved in an accident.  and most of the you tube videos are more about idiot drivers than people catching crash for cash fraudsters.

save your money.  

Agreed. Its very very very unlikely that someone is going to reverse into you and claim it was your fault

14 hours ago, rayaans said:

Dont really see the need for dash cams  - they're abused more than they are used correctly.

Have you seen all the youtube videos with titles like "Dashcam stories: idiot drivers" and the like?

Legally you have to put CCTV signs on your property if it looks onto the road which is council owned, therefore, don't see why cars with dash cams shouldnt have "dashcam on board" warnings as theres some right idiots out there who shouldn't have the privelege of recording everything that goes on on the roads.

And if you have one, you have to show your insurance company the footage even if you were at fault! Some insurance companies will hike the price a little bit as its seen as a "stealable item" especially because they arent exactly cheap.

Is the information in your reply based on actual facts?

I don't think domestic installations come under the same rules and regulations as commercial cctv setups.

Commercial installs have to post signs stating why they are recording, it's usually "to prevent and detect crime". 

The signs put up in a domestic situation are put up as a deterrent, not as a legal requirement.

And nothing at all the do with HRA.

2 hours ago, Verbout said:

Is the information in your reply based on actual facts?

I don't think domestic installations come under the same rules and regulations as commercial cctv setups.

Commercial installs have to post signs stating why they are recording, it's usually "to prevent and detect crime". 

The signs put up in a domestic situation are put up as a deterrent, not as a legal requirement.

And nothing at all the do with HRA.

Yes actually, been told by the council I legally have to put signs up if my cameras face onto the road and also if they capture things going on in another property (even though it helped them out when their Yorkshire Flags were being lifted by some nitwits)

Essentially they said something about being sued if someone complains

Sort of how you're not supposed to blow your leaves out into the street.

I think you will find the UK government and the EU are at odds regarding this matter. It revolves around an incident in an Eastern European country, It's interesting reading.

We are waiting for clarification from the government on the issue.

I think your council have been a little fast out of the blocks on this matter, jobsworth springs to mind.

Over this side of the border, just like dann safff, you're not allowed to record public areas. But, if you're parked on the street directly outside you're house, then it open to interpretation by the authorities so you can argue your case on protecting/monitoring your property (as advised by the polis..).  Five cameras round the house seeing as I worked away for many years. Plus front and rear dash cams on the car to provide back-up in case of accidents.

I have a dash cam.

Peace of mind really - especially if there was a dispute about something major.

Not looking to catch others out, but just to keep me 'safe'.

( EDIT: Think i should get my wife one also ... )

Edited by PCM
Addition

Last year I was travelling eastwards on the M4 between South Wales and London with cruise set around 75mph.   I was in the middle lane overtaking lorries and in front of me were four cars travelling slower than me.   My door mirror revealed no hazard so I pulled out to overtake.  Within a matter of seconds a Porsche 911 closed on me very rapidly with lights flashing menacingly !  I continued to overtake the four vehicles at my cruise speed and pulled in immediately afterwards.  The 911 was flashing me throughout !

As the 911 overtook me I gave him a two-fingered salute through my driver's window.  He immediately pulled in front of me and slammed on his brakes.  I had to brake very sharply to avoid a collision and was lucky that the car following me was sufficiently alert to avoid colliding with me too.

As a result of this incident, I have just fitted a dashcam.  Maybe I shouldn't have given the salute one may argue ?  I just wish I had the footage of this *** in a Porsche to show to the police.

Would they have done anything ?  I don't know, but it was a very dangerous thing to do !

I'm pleased I have it, hope I never need to use the footage.  I won't be posting on youtube, this is a peace of mind installation.  £60 well spent in my view ! 

• Like 2

I wonder how these would fit(?) on an RX?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mio-MiVue-R30-Mirror-Dash-Cam-Camera-with-Lane-Departure-Warning-/331670224455?hash=item4d3915fe47:g:ffMAAOSwoydWoVL3 

( I guess you lose the auto dipping feature )

Edited by PCM
Addition

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 5:31 PM, steveledzep said:

Last year I was travelling eastwards on the M4 between South Wales and London with cruise set around 75mph.   I was in the middle lane overtaking lorries and in front of me were four cars travelling slower than me.   My door mirror revealed no hazard so I pulled out to overtake.  Within a matter of seconds a Porsche 911 closed on me very rapidly with lights flashing menacingly !  I continued to overtake the four vehicles at my cruise speed and pulled in immediately afterwards.  The 911 was flashing me throughout !

As the 911 overtook me I gave him a two-fingered salute through my driver's window.  He immediately pulled in front of me and slammed on his brakes.  I had to brake very sharply to avoid a collision and was lucky that the car following me was sufficiently alert to avoid colliding with me too.

As a result of this incident, I have just fitted a dashcam.  Maybe I shouldn't have given the salute one may argue ?  I just wish I had the footage of this *** in a Porsche to show to the police.

Would they have done anything ?  I don't know, but it was a very dangerous thing to do !

I'm pleased I have it, hope I never need to use the footage.  I won't be posting on youtube, this is a peace of mind installation.  £60 well spent in my view ! 

I doubt the police would do anything tbh. But I had a red 911 do the same to me on the M27/M3 approach at night. The ****** was just gunning the car weaving in and out. Must be a trait of ownership.

David

1 hour ago, Deadloak said:

I doubt the police would do anything tbh. But I had a red 911 do the same to me on the M27/M3 approach at night. The ****** was just gunning the car weaving in and out. Must be a trait of ownership.

David

I think they would consider a prosecution, they won't if they're not made aware, will they?

Upload to youtube first and then send a link to your local police, there are plenty of idiots that incriminate themselves on YouTube by posting as they drive at speed or dangerously.

I wouldn't have any problem giving the police a link to any footage on my dash-cam, they'll either act on it or not, up to them, cost you nothing, it'll still be on the net.

On 17 February 2016 at 10:36 AM, noby76 said:

I also do not see the relevance of having dash cams. regardless of how you look at it there were always fool/reckless drivers before dash cams and will always be.

But are there more reckless drivers now than previously?