Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

i have a 2004 RX300 SEL ( same model as the RX330). The rear tailgate will not open.

it was previously working fine.

I have checked the button behind the glovebox and this is set correctly.

i will not open using the the remote fob. Usually you hear audible beeps using the remote fob. No sound at all and no attempted movement to open.

I have tried the remote release button on the dashboard. Nothing.

i have tried to open manually using the open switch on the tailgate by the number plate. This doesn't work and you hear nothing.

i have also checked the 30A fuse for the tailgate and this is fine.

I have climbed into the boots pace from within the car to check if there is anything visible trapped in tweet the tailgate and the body of the car where it closes. All looks clear.

i have also tried adding weight to push down on the rear tailgate whilst simultaneously pressing the tailgate manual release button, but still to no avail.

aagghhhh! Help

how do I physically manually get the tailgate open so I can then investigate further as I see not mechanical means of operation 

I think there is an "emergency" tailgate release pull-cord thing in the left hand side of the boot. It maybe behind the trim where the 12v power socket is, I'll see if I can dig up some further info...

It is possible than the mechanism may require lubrication if the car had been left standing a while?

I think I'm wrong about the emergency release (although I could have sworn I "found" it when replacing the tailgate bulbs or shampooing the boot upholstery a while back!

I've dug up some links for you to look at though:

http://toyotapartscatalog.com/parts/lexus-6943048010/

Pages from the workshop manual:

http://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/rx_330_awd/v6-3.3l_(3mz-fe)/body_and_frame/doors_hood_and_trunk/trunk/liftgate/liftgate_window_glass/component_information/diagrams/

I wonder if a wire may have broken/perished in the tailgate harness or if water has found it's way into a connector in the tailgate causing you these issues.... Does everything on the tailgate work correctly, for example, reverse camera, exterior lights, number plate lights, fog lights etc?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links