Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Which model etc

furkin

Hi all,

After many years with Mercedes, I am slowly losing faith in the brand and services.

I'm now looking to change and was considering BMW, Jaguar, Audi & Lexus.

Bit by bit, I discounted the others and it looks like i'll be venturing into the Toyota flock.

I currently have a E220 cdi, and looking for something similar, or maybe a bit better. I think that means LS & GS.

At present, I don't think I'm considering hybrids, as I don't know anything about them - yet.

I notice that lots of Lexuses / lexxi ? run on petrol. Is there a reason for this,,,, or is it just the first ones that i'v seen ? 

I'm in West Cornwall, so my nearest dealer is Plymouth.

Now comes a silly question;

what are the pro's & con's that a new buyer needs to consider ?

Please feel free to offer any advice to this new comer.

cheers all

9 minutes ago, furkin said:

Hi all,

After many years with Mercedes, I am slowly losing faith in the brand and services.

I'm now looking to change and was considering BMW, Jaguar, Audi & Lexus.

Bit by bit, I discounted the others and it looks like i'll be venturing into the Toyota flock.

I currently have a E220 cdi, and looking for something similar, or maybe a bit better. I think that means LS & GS.

At present, I don't think I'm considering hybrids, as I don't know anything about them - yet.

I notice that lots of Lexuses / lexxi ? run on petrol. Is there a reason for this,,,, or is it just the first ones that i'v seen ? 

I'm in West Cornwall, so my nearest dealer is Plymouth.

Now comes a silly question;

what are the pro's & con's that a new buyer needs to consider ?

Please feel free to offer any advice to this new comer.

cheers all

Hi Barry and welcome.

I too have an E220 cdi, a W210, which I`ve had for 13 years and 208,000 miles.

I decided I wanted a Lexus before I pulled into that Great Garage in the Sky and I kept the E Class as an estate comes in handy at times, is like new and I would not receive much on the open market for it. It only costs buttons to maintain and insure it and it takes me and lots of goodies to and from Andalucia twice each year (from where I am writing this).

I chose the GS as it had lots of kit similar to that which I had on my E Class and externally the dimensions are almost identical. THE LS IS FAR TOO BIG FOR ME AND TOO EXPENSIVE TOO!

Diesel is not an option on either the IS 300H or the GS. Mine is a series 3 (July 2010) and the current GS is a series 4. I would advise that you consider the Hybrid model of either IS or GS. THEY ARE BOTH OUTSTANDING CARS AND OFFER LEVELS OF COMFORT AND SILENCE AND RELIABILITY THAT CAN ONLY BE ADMIRED.

Buy from a Lexus dealer, have a long and extensive test drive over a weekend if possible, ask more questions on here (not from a salesman) and take out an extended warranty if you decide to buy..

Good luck.

Regards

John

You mentioned you have the E220 CDI - which model year is your car? and what sort of budget are you looking at? That helps us to see which generation of GS/LS you should be looking at.

Lexus runs on petrol only after a brief moment with the IS going down the diesel route for the 2nd Generation. Reason for this is that Lexus is all about low noise, vibration and harshness and diesels are the opposite i.e, all they offer is NOISE, VIBRATION and a lot of harshness.

Now you have the E220 CDI, I know what that is like i.e my wife had a C220 CDI which uses exactly the same engine and the basic unit is the same since 2003. Now these things are gruff and vibrate like crazy so expect any Lexus to be more refined than the Merc.

Lexus run on petrol because petrol engines are generally more reliable, have no DPF issues and are much cleaner to the environment in terms of emissions.

In terms of size, GS is the same size as a Merc E class, the LS is much larger. The GS should have a lot more kit than the E class as standard.

So pros and cons compared to the Merc -

pros - standard equipment, more refined,, smoothness, reliability, dealer customer care, arguably build quality is better on Lexus

cons - more expensive to run (depends on if you go hybrid or not)

indifferent - service prices are usually about the same as merc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links