Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is Lexus extended warranty worth purchasing

With my warranty on a 2010 RX450h due to expire this week, does anyone think that extending the warranty @ a cost of £1000 for 2 years worth having? The warranty only covers 'faults' and not anything associated with wear and tear.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I had a squeek coming from rear suspension when i went over speed humps; i thought it was a dried out bush. Under the extended warranty Lexus Reading changed the entire suspension arms and bushes! Cost £1250 to me cost £0

Yes, i believe the warranty is justified. If only for peace of mind as all Lexus spare parts are expensive and so are the labour rates

• Like 1

Hope you don't mind me chiming in :smile:

Just wanted to say that I also agree the extended warranty is worth getting.

On mine, 2 months after purchasing it, my car needed a new flywheel.  Lexus Edgware Road took care of it, no fuss.

As such, the warranty has now paid for itself, and I still have peace of mind for some time to come.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, L3xu5 Mum said:

With my warranty on a 2010 RX450h due to expire this week, does anyone think that extending the warranty @ a cost of £1000 for 2 years worth having? The warranty only covers 'faults' and not anything associated with wear and tear.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've had leaking rear taillights, a leaking water pump, an air con leak, and a seized brake caliper fixed under the warranty so far. All faults came to light <80,000 miles.

Lexus play the 'wear and tear' card much less often than any other warranty company that you could find.

• Like 2

Have you been driving your car through rivers😱 Seems to be a lot of leaking going on! Thanks for advice, I think I will bite the bullet and pay out for the extended warranty...... Although coming the same time as motor insurance renewal it is not ideal timing!! Thanks again.

Personally no, the reason I say that is the RX450H is rather reliable. My car is out of warranty and has been for a year with no issues 

Like with all warranties it depends on the timing. It's prob more worthwhile at 70k+ but I'm noton 35k yet 

I agree that the car is reliable, however you soon get the £1,000 back by getting fairly minor items sorted out, Items you might otherwise consider leaving with due to the cost of parts and labour. In today's money, £1,000 is not a lot of money, in particular where luxury brands are concerned.

Under warranty, I have had replaced both taillights due to condensation and one mirror that would no longer darken. As pointed out above by Tom, other brands may have refused to pay out and put these faults down to wear and tear, but mine were replaced without quibbling. And I got a free courtesy car. And my car got valeted while at the dealer. And I am still covered for 2 years.

• Like 2

Thanks DanD. Dilemma! Mine is just at about 40,000 miles for a 2010 plate so a long way to go to Tom's 75k.  However, with the car going back to Lexus under warranty next week for reverse camera not engaging occasionally issues, windscreen wipers switching on randomly in sunny weather and a radio which likes to switch itself on and off repeatedly I rather feel there may be trouble ahead........!  So perhaps the peace of mind a £1000 warranty will bring may be worthwhile. Thanks for your sage advice.

Just renewed my warranty, at under £90 a month for a year and two years cover I thought it was worth it. I am an ex-mechanic but with today's technology it makes it very difficult to do major repairs yourself, and it will cost you a grand at Lexus for any decent repair that needs doing. Just think of it as insurance, and if you don't claim you have had trouble free motoring for two years.

As for your intermittent problem, I would think it is likely to be a multi plug that is not connected properly. I have had this sort of problem on a few cars I have worked on in the past (usually French), and found that by checking up behind the dash and pushing the multi plugs together, one of them would click where it had not been pushed fully home, either at manufacture or after a repair. Hope this helps.........

• Like 1

On 2/26/2016 at 8:24 AM, L3xu5 Mum said:

Have you been driving your car through rivers😱 Seems to be a lot of leaking going on! Thanks for advice, I think I will bite the bullet and pay out for the extended warranty...... Although coming the same time as motor insurance renewal it is not ideal timing!! Thanks again.

No rivers lol. Also forgot to mention that I have just had the rear tailgate struts replaced as they were not as strong as they once were. I was quoted £330 if I was paying cash.

Like Dan said, having the warranty means that you can get things fixed that you might not otherwise have been bothered to. For example, I'm sure the previous owner of my car had noticed that the air con wasn't blowing cold (I bought the car in the winter), but I expect that they thought twice about spending £920 on a non-essential repair on an eight-year-old car.

The main reason however that I got the extended warranty was the potential £7000+ cost of replacing the hybrid system if it went wrong. The peace of mind is easily worth £500 a year to me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, L3xu5 Mum said:

Hi Rayaans, bought the car from Lexus Milton Keynes as pre used last year. Hope it hasn't been messed with....... How would I know? 

Take a look at the Battery to see if the original one with japanese wording on it.

Things like this tend to happen a lot with terminals being loose on batteries and all sorts.

Hope I am not too late to add to this thread.

Definitely an emphatic YES to the extended warranty, however it really is worth shopping around all the Lexus main dealers asking for a discount or seeing what offers they may have. Dealerships earn commission/ have targets on warranty/service packages so they may be keen for your business? You will certainly be more likely to get a favourable discount if extending your warranty by 2 or 3 years depending on how long you were planning in keeping the car? In the past I have always managed to get discount on the extended warranty whether it be negotiating on its own or extending it by a couple of further years or as part of a service package. Trust me its well worth several phone calls!

Incidentally a couple of years ago I obtained a good discount (20%) by extending the warranty to 3 years rather than for one, I paid monthly so there was nothing upfront. Then when I changed my RX for a younger model about 10 months later, all I had to do was cancel the direct debit for the warranty with no penalty! (As with anything though- do read the small print first-agreements are changing all the time!)

Do your homework and save yourself some money!

• Like 5

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure I read somewhere that if you claim under the warranty, you can no longer cancel it without paying the full fee?

5 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure I read somewhere that if you claim under the warranty, you can no longer cancel it without paying the full fee?

That's how I understand it.

Mine was serviced last October at Lexus Manchester, just a month before I bought it.  Therefore, for the majority of the 2 years warranty, my only commitment is one service at Lexus.

Early last month I noticed water ingress into the nearside headlamp assembly with constant condensation.  I've been to Lexus Cardiff today and had it replaced under the warranty.  I understand the assembly is £500+, so add in the fitting and 2 years Roadside Assistance.....looks like I've already had my money's worth, with 20 months still to run :yes:

• Like 2

On 2/25/2016 at 11:30 AM, L3xu5 Mum said:

What did you decide to do?

Hey thanks all for your very good advice - as having dodgy moments with radio/windscreen wipers and reverse camera I forked out for the warranty if only so I can sleep at night!

Really appreciate your comments on this - what a great forum you people have! 

• Like 1

On Friday, March 04, 2016 at 7:42 AM, ColinBarber said:

The Lexus extended warranty is good provided you are happy to service your vehicle at a Lexus dealership, that is a condition of the warranty.

It works out at approx £10 per week. Equal to 3 pints of Beer or almost a pack of 10 death drops. If you want to protect your investment in a Lexus, then it really is a no-brainer in my opinion.

Regards

John

• Like 1

I consider it good value too for peace of mind.

You don't want to claim on your house and contents insurance, neither do you want to claim on your motor insurance policy.  Treat the Lexus Warranty in the same manner, you don't want to claim, but very pleased you have it if a problem occurs.  It's £795 for 2 years on my IS250C.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links