Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can't touch her till she's warm

Lexsurf

Afternoon everyone 

I have a ls400 engine in a hilux surf, I have just recently purchased it and am trying to sort out some new owner issues, one of them being the engine when I cold start it, I've made a video on YouTube but before I link it I wanted to explain wats happening

In this video I have just started the engine, after its revs bouncing up and down for 10 secs it sits at where it is in the video, now I cannot rev the engine when it's cold unless I hold the revs up, when I let go the revs it will drop and continue to drop till it stalls, then takes a little bit to start again 

In this video you will see the revs drop then dash lights will flicker as it holds on for dear life before stalling 

If I run the engine for 2 mins till there's a little warmth in it she's fine no reving issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP6Q5okAFsY

Anyone have an idea? 

But the car drives fine once warmed up?

I dont know anything about the LS400 other than it's a 4L V8 aha But on the IS200 has this stupid throttle body with ETCS-I and it doesn't let the throttle body open unless the ecu is happy.

Even if you pull the throttle cable to where the throttle body should be wide open it only opens a small amount because of the ETSC-I controlling the movement. Really frustrating because you can't get WOT in 1st gear until you're nearly at 5k.

Thinking if your throttle body is the same with ETSC-I there maybe a problem with it and needs replaced?

I have no idea what i'm talking about though, just a suggestion. I'm sure someone with an LS400 will be able to let you know what's up with it

5 minutes ago, MJG said:

But the car drives fine once warmed up?

I dont know anything about the LS400 other than it's a 4L V8 aha But on the IS200 has this stupid throttle body with ETCS-I and it doesn't let the throttle body open unless the ecu is happy.

Even if you pull the throttle cable to where the throttle body should be wide open it only opens a small amount because of the ETSC-I controlling the movement. Really frustrating because you can't get WOT in 1st gear until you're nearly at 5k.

Thinking if your throttle body is the same with ETSC-I there maybe a problem with it and needs replaced?

I have no idea what i'm talking about though, just a suggestion. I'm sure someone with an LS400 will be able to let you know what's up with it

yes once its warm it drives sweet as a nut (apart from my ridiculous mpg) i also know nothing of these engines

Thanks for trying

No problem, looks like the 1UZ-FE engine does have ETSC-I so I'd say its either the throttle body or a sensor telling it not to rev up when cold.

Not that you want to rev it when cold anyway but guessing you can't drive anywhere on first starting up? That's definitely not right

If you are not getting any codes coming up it maybe hard for anyone to give you a correct diagnosis and be better off having a garage check it out 

1 minute ago, MJG said:

No problem, looks like the 1UZ-FE engine does have ETSC-I so I'd say its either the throttle body or a sensor telling it not to rev up when cold.

Not that you want to rev it when cold anyway but guessing you can't drive anywhere on first starting up? That's definitely not right

If you are not getting any codes coming up it maybe hard for anyone to give you a correct diagnosis and be better off having a garage check it out 

yea im trying to contact the guy who done the conversion to see where the ecu port is to check for codes but yes im anable to drive it for approx 2 minutes, i also have suspicions im running rich as im only getting 8mpg

thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links